Gå til innhold

Russlands invasjon av Ukraina [Ny tråd, les førstepost]

Gjest Slettet-404071

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Russia's Rising Artillery Losses in Ukraine Leave Forces 'Totally Depleted'

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-rising-artillery-losses-ukraine-totally-depleted-shells-1846415

The story of Ukraine's summer 2023 counteroffensive has on the surface been one of frustration, heavy losses, and little territorial gain. From the start, Ukrainian political and military leaders had to juggle high expectations with the tactical realities that ultimately proved so difficult for Kyiv's forces to overcome.

Officials in Kyiv have sought to ease Western concern at a lack of progress while pointing to the broader successes of Ukrainian operations. All of western Russia—and Moscow—are now in range of Ukrainian drones. Part of the Black Sea Fleet has reportedly been forced out of Crimea. And the erosion of Russia's soldiers and military equipment has continued at a rapid pace.

Ukraine's apparent edge in the artillery war is a particular point of pride for Kyiv. The big guns have dominated the battlefields from the first moments of Russia's full-scale invasion. For all its supposed modernization, Moscow's military doctrine has retained the historical Russian focus on artillery.

Russian gunners proved more numerous and well-supplied than their Ukrainian enemies in the early stages of the conflict. But as Kyiv's arsenal has been bolstered by NATO systems, Russia's "god of war" has been somewhat muted.

Kyiv's claimed tally of Russian equipment losses demonstrates the enthusiasm with which Ukrainian artillery and drone teams have hunted Russian big guns, as well as multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) that perform a similar function at shorter ranges.

From September to November 2023, Ukraine claimed to have destroyed 2,272 artillery pieces, and another 167 MLRS. In the same period in 2022, the figure was 789 artillery pieces and 108 MLRS. Newsweek cannot independently verify the figures and has contacted the Russian Defense Ministry to request comment.

"It's really a big problem for the Russians," Ivan Stupak—a former officer in the Security Service of Ukraine and now an adviser to the Ukrainian parliament's national security, defense and intelligence committee—told Newsweek of Kyiv's artillery campaign. "It's not just a cliché, it's not Ukrainian propaganda."

"For the last five months or so, Russia has very actively been using old-style artillery. Not late-Soviet era, but mid-50s and mid-60s—D30 and the D20-type of towed artillery, with a maximum range of around 9 to 11 miles," Stupak said.

"It's a very short distance; it's nothing compared with the Archer from Sweden," he said, referring to the system donated to Ukraine by Stockholm which has a range of more than 30 miles.

"Russian artillery stockpiles are totally depleted," Stupak said. "They are using this artillery because they have no other options."

President Vladimir Putin is shifting the Russian economy onto war footing, but ramping up replacement parts production for artillery is a complex task, and partially reliant on Western technology to which Moscow now has limited access. The pressure of worn-out barrels is a particularly big issue, Stupak said.

The Kremlin's problem is only becoming more pressing as advanced NATO munitions arrive in Ukraine. The summer-into-fall uptick in claimed destroyed Russian guns coincided with the arrival of cluster munitions, which spread hundreds of bomblets over a target area rather than relying on a single shell.

Now, HIMARS-fired cluster munition variants of the long-range MGM-140 Army Tactical Missile System—known as the ATACMS—are also in Ukrainian hands. Ukraine's gunners have been assisted by increasingly sophisticated counter-battery radars, used to quickly locate firing Russian guns.

Dan Rice, a former aide to Ukraine's commander-in-chief General Valerii Zaluzhnyi, was influential in Kyiv's push for cluster munitions, both the tube fired at ATACMS variants. Rice told Newsweek that the Ukrainians now have "fire superiority" over the Russians, as well as more advanced and effective weapons systems.

"The full-scale deployment of cluster artillery shells and rockets has entered a new phase in the war," Rice said, "which is why Putin is suggesting peace talks and calling it a 'tragedy.'" Now, he added, Moscow is grappling with "deep strikes against large troop concentrations and any Russian artillery or MLRS that fires."

Both Ukrainian and Russian forces are pushing hard on different parts of the front, looking to secure fresh gains as the fall rains arrive and the freezing winter season looms. Kyiv's hopes of a Russian collapse in the south of the country look to have been dashed, while Moscow's grinding efforts to gain new victories in the east are proceeding slowly and at high cost.

Both sides will need many more munitions to continue the fight, Stupak said. Kyiv, he noted, has "lots of problems with deploying artillery munition shells from European countries...we were promised about 1 million shells, but up to now we've got only about 300,000."

"In Russia, they've got a million shells from North Korea, from Iran, and they're trying to rebuy from different countries they previously supplied shells to."

• Liker 5
  • Innsiktsfullt 1
  • Hjerte 1
Lenke til kommentar

Barn kidnappa i Ukraina altså.

Sitat

Sergey Mironov, the chairman of the party A Just Russia — For Truth, and his wife, Inna Varlamova, adopted a girl deported from Ukraine’s Kherson region and had her name changed, according to an investigation conducted by independent Russian outlet iStories and the documentary film studio Top Hat/Hayloft Productions. The outlet notes that this is “the first documented case of such a high-ranking Russian politician adopting a Ukrainian child.”

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/11/23/that-woman-will-take-them-to-moscow

• Liker 3
  • Innsiktsfullt 2
Lenke til kommentar

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/24563

‘Trucks Full of Wounded’ – Russian Soldier Reveals Huge Casualties in Avdiivka

A Russian soldier has been overheard in an intercepted call describing how Moscow’s forces are suffering such huge casualties in Avdiivka that hospitals are overflowing and the wounded arrive by the truck full.

“There are a lot of people, and the wounded are being brought here by trucks literally every day,” he says in the call released by Ukraine's Military Intelligence Directorate (HUR).

“A lot of dead as well. I'm in a civilian hospital because the military hospital is overcrowded—three floors packed.”

“Everyone is lying without arms or legs, some without various body parts. Mainly, those from Avdiivka are brought," the soldier says.

"In Rostov hospital, guys are lying on the floor in the hallway."

While the authenticity of the call has not been confirmed, both Ukrainian, Russian and independent sources confirm Russia is suffering huge losses right now, with the daily rate of soldiers killed approaching an all-time high.

The soldier appears to add weight to the assessment, saying: “The assault failed. Everything is in the s**t, everyone was killed.”

Ukrainian soldiers defending the town told AFP this week that the scenes there are “like a zombie movie.”

“The fields are just littered with corpses,” said Oleksandr, a deputy commander of a Ukrainian battalion in the 47th Mechanized Brigade.

“They are trying to exhaust our lines with constant waves of attacks,” he said, without providing his full name.

A drone operator with the call sign, “Trauma,” said: “Some die, others keep on coming. It’s like a zombie movie.”

Last month, a Russian soldier was overheard in a phone call to his wife describing the hellish conditions he and his unit are facing on the front lines, describing horrific losses in failed assaults on Ukrainian positions and a crippling lack of basic supplies.

The Russian military in fighting around Avdiivka likely suffered its worst combat losses since mid-February, and by some measures suffered one of Moscow’s worst battlefield defeats of the war thus far.

Kyiv Post recently interviewed Maria* who described what it’s like to work as one of Ukrainian Intelligence’s professional eavesdroppers and the shocking things they hear.

Russian media regularly dismisses the content of the calls, saying Ukraine is faking them, a claim Kyiv Post put to Maria.

She said: "Yes, they all are real even though they might seem insane. Sometimes I can’t believe the words I’m listening to myself, but we have what we have."

Kyiv Post regularly highlights the most revealing intercepted conversations on a weekly basis.

• Liker 6
Lenke til kommentar

https://www.tv2.no/nyheter/innenriks/kina-og-russland-banker-pa-doren-vi-star-ganske-alene-1/16233353/

Kina og Russland banker på døren: – Vi står ganske alene

Kirkenes-ordføreren er fornærmet i en trusselsak. Nå vil han ha økt statlig tilstedeværelse i grensekommunen.

Magnus Mæland (H) har knapt vært ordfører i én måned, men har allerede fått tre henvendelser fra kinesiske aktører som er interessert i å investere i Kirkenes.

Samtidig opplever han at falske profiler i sosiale medier forsøker å piske opp stemningen, polarisere, splitte og skape tvil om ham som politisk leder.

Han mener det er russisk påvirkning.

– Å være ordfører i Sør-Varanger er litt annerledes enn å være ordfører andre steder, sier Mæland.

Artikkelen fortsetter og er ganske lang.

• Innsiktsfullt 8
Lenke til kommentar
8 hours ago, Brother Ursus said:

Artikkelen fortsetter og er ganske lang.

Han kjenner seg ikke igjen i at UD ikke i tilstrekkelig grad er til stede, og peker på at departementet er det eneste som har tilstedeværelse utenfor Oslo, med Tromsø-kontoret.

Hm. Vet han hvor langt det er fra Tromsø til Kirkenes? Tror det er ca 1000 km. Så selv i Tromsø blir Kirkenes Norges ytterste utpost. 

Jeg tenker Kirkenes ordføreren har noen gode poeng. Og kanskje burde både UD, pst være permanent representert der. Relativt høy andel russisk bosetning til å være i Norge, russiske skip anløper Kirkenes og russiske sjømenn og eller spioner har landlov og kan bevege seg fritt.

Det handler om tilstedeværelse og å vise russerne at vi følger med på alt de foretar seg. 

Endret av bojangles
  • Liker 5
Lenke til kommentar
2 hours ago, bojangles said:

Relativt høy andel russisk bosetning til å være i Norge

Ja, snart må de nok "reddes" fra de slemme nazistiske nordmennene, som undertrykker og diskriminerer alle russere med russerhatet sitt. Dessuten var Finnmark sovjetisk noen uker i 1945 og tilhører dermed Russland nå. Krever bare en liten spesialoperasjon. 

• Liker 4
Lenke til kommentar

Dersom det tyske Bild påstår medfører riktighet så er det en enorm skandale som beviser at ingen kan stoles på i det hele tatt, og at hvert eneste demokrati må regne med at de står helt alene. Da vil USA og Tyskland og sikkert andre være villige til å ofre hvem som helst for "business as usual".

Vi kan ikke stole på NATO. Vi kan ikke stole på USA. Vi kan ikke stole på noen. Tvert imot, alle er potensielle forrædere eller fiender og vi bør agere deretter. Atomvåpen blir nødvendig. Kanskje er vi heldige og kan stole på andre nordiske land?

USA, Tyskland, Frankrike... ubrukelige. De er muligens fullstendig upålitelige og må nesten regnes som potensielle fiender.

Med forbehold om at dette er enda en story "plantet" av Russland, men hvis det ikke er det så viser det seg at det ikke er Russland som ender opp med å splitte NATO, men derimot de største medlemmene.

Endret av Markiii
  • Liker 2
  • Innsiktsfullt 2
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...