Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Can someone help me with this sentence? I don't quite understand it..

''You're merely postponing the inevitable''

It's a quote from Albert Wesker - Resident Evil 5

edit: I figured it out after tritrans'ed ''inevitable'' and ''merely''

I don't know if I understand what it is you want me to do..

what it means in Norwegian?

Edit: that would be: "Du utsetter bare det uunngåelige"

Endret av 2ball(s)
Lenke til kommentar
Anyone else enjoyed the evening watching the "genetic freak" Usain Bolt?

Sounds new to me. Care to explain what it is? :)

I'm sure you do know now - but he won the 100m sprint with ease and set a new WR.

^ No point what so ever, just trying to get this thread a bit more active.

Lenke til kommentar

I recently wrote this from the perspective of an outsider. Two parties are having a rather nasty feud over who is right, sucking in troops to their cause every day. The whole situation is one of complete and utter idiocy, but it is nothing new. I see this everywhere. The subject changes, but the approach and butting of egos does not. Thought I'd share it here.

A bear shits in the woods.

You and a friend see this happen. Your details may vary depending on how much of it you observed and remember, but you know it happened. You compare your notes, agree on some things and dismiss others. Maybe the light through the trees was casting a few shadows, but you have concluded on a basic shared experience. It's the truth.

Now convince someone who wasn't there to believe you. Convince them to accept your truth as an honest to God unquestionable fact. Your truth becomes their belief. Just a belief, because they weren't there; they don't have every last categorized detail. They're putting their faith in you, wanting to believe what they didn't see, actually happened, and that it is the absolute truth. They spread their watered-down version of this truth to other people, who further alter it. How much of your truth still remains, assuming the believers who spoke the gospel of your truth, took no liberties to embellish it?

A year later, a different bear shits in the woods, another pair of guys witness it, but the circumstances have changed. Different color of bear? Less shit? Less stink? It was raining? The bear was in heat? It didn't squat?

A bear did shit in the woods. But the method and means have changed. Who's story is correct? Yours or theirs? Both of you pairs of guys witnessed something you know, beyond all argument, to be the truth.

What happens is you have a split. You have one group that believes you, and one that believes the others. There are four people who witnessed a bear shitting in the woods, and two flocks of followers preaching the gospel of those two truths. The two groups of followers argue with each other incessantly. Neither can be right to the other, because the followers steadfastly believe your versions as the unquestionable, incontrovertible truth.

You're both right; a bear shit in the woods.

A third group emerges. They compare notes on both of your versions and make collective compromises on what actually happened, even though it was long ago and not a single one of them witnessed either account. They really want to believe in something. But, to the old groups, the third group is a bunch of blasphemers, heretics, and traitors. Both the old groups are too set in their ways to see reason.

The old groups burn people at the stake for even asking why a bear would shit in the woods to begin with. The third group is willing to debate the details, as long as you agree with the core of their beliefs: namely, that a bear did shit in the woods.

Then a fourth "group" comes along, sees the whole damn mess, declares it all bullshit, and wants nothing to do with it. Their simple answer: bears don't shit. Does a bear shit in the woods? No, a bear doesn't shit anywhere. Shit is a lie!

But anyway...

That phenomenon can be applied to anything. Religion. The nutrition of a candy bar. The air pressure in your tires. Running a government. Creating a forum. Anything.

The only truth is your truth. You've either got:

- blind sheep who will follow you unconditionally

- people who share similarities to your truth but know it in a different way

- a third group who want to believe in the core of both truths but choose to confront the inherent contradictions and create their own version

- or people who want absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

******, I'm not here for either of you. I'm here for knowledge. Not your drama, not your feud, not your pretty red and black money-sink.

You know that third group I mentioned up above? That's me. I'm here to compare notes on your truth and everybody else's. I want to gain the wisdom that you all possess, toss it in a blender, and make my own goddamn vanilla sundae. I'm not going to follow any of you, but I'm willing to struggle through the bullshit to get to the core of it all and "see the light". You guys are the batteries in my Mag Light. I'm going to use you all to fuel my own research. I'm not interested in your petty squabbling, so keep that shit to yourself.

Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar

Gah, can't sleep again. Second night.. I always get sleep-problems when my girlfriend goes home, and back to schooldays etc. I'l just put on a movie i have seen thousands of times and i probably will fall asleep. Last night of my vacation. School is on Wednesday :/ The only thing I'm not looking forward to is waking up piss-early (06:45) and work after school.

Lenke til kommentar
I recently wrote this from the perspective of an outsider. Two parties are having a rather nasty feud over who is right, sucking in troops to their cause every day. The whole situation is one of complete and utter idiocy, but it is nothing new. I see this everywhere. The subject changes, but the approach and butting of egos does not. Thought I'd share it here.

A bear shits in the woods.

You and a friend see this happen. Your details may vary depending on how much of it you observed and remember, but you know it happened. You compare your notes, agree on some things and dismiss others. Maybe the light through the trees was casting a few shadows, but you have concluded on a basic shared experience. It's the truth.

Now convince someone who wasn't there to believe you. Convince them to accept your truth as an honest to God unquestionable fact. Your truth becomes their belief. Just a belief, because they weren't there; they don't have every last categorized detail. They're putting their faith in you, wanting to believe what they didn't see, actually happened, and that it is the absolute truth. They spread their watered-down version of this truth to other people, who further alter it. How much of your truth still remains, assuming the believers who spoke the gospel of your truth, took no liberties to embellish it?

A year later, a different bear shits in the woods, another pair of guys witness it, but the circumstances have changed. Different color of bear? Less shit? Less stink? It was raining? The bear was in heat? It didn't squat?

A bear did shit in the woods. But the method and means have changed. Who's story is correct? Yours or theirs? Both of you pairs of guys witnessed something you know, beyond all argument, to be the truth.

What happens is you have a split. You have one group that believes you, and one that believes the others. There are four people who witnessed a bear shitting in the woods, and two flocks of followers preaching the gospel of those two truths. The two groups of followers argue with each other incessantly. Neither can be right to the other, because the followers steadfastly believe your versions as the unquestionable, incontrovertible truth.

You're both right; a bear shit in the woods.

A third group emerges. They compare notes on both of your versions and make collective compromises on what actually happened, even though it was long ago and not a single one of them witnessed either account. They really want to believe in something. But, to the old groups, the third group is a bunch of blasphemers, heretics, and traitors. Both the old groups are too set in their ways to see reason.

The old groups burn people at the stake for even asking why a bear would shit in the woods to begin with. The third group is willing to debate the details, as long as you agree with the core of their beliefs: namely, that a bear did shit in the woods.

Then a fourth "group" comes along, sees the whole damn mess, declares it all bullshit, and wants nothing to do with it. Their simple answer: bears don't shit. Does a bear shit in the woods? No, a bear doesn't shit anywhere. Shit is a lie!

But anyway...

That phenomenon can be applied to anything. Religion. The nutrition of a candy bar. The air pressure in your tires. Running a government. Creating a forum. Anything.

The only truth is your truth. You've either got:

- blind sheep who will follow you unconditionally

- people who share similarities to your truth but know it in a different way

- a third group who want to believe in the core of both truths but choose to confront the inherent contradictions and create their own version

- or people who want absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

******, I'm not here for either of you. I'm here for knowledge. Not your drama, not your feud, not your pretty red and black money-sink.

You know that third group I mentioned up above? That's me. I'm here to compare notes on your truth and everybody else's. I want to gain the wisdom that you all possess, toss it in a blender, and make my own goddamn vanilla sundae. I'm not going to follow any of you, but I'm willing to struggle through the bullshit to get to the core of it all and "see the light". You guys are the batteries in my Mag Light. I'm going to use you all to fuel my own research. I'm not interested in your petty squabbling, so keep that shit to yourself.

Thank you.

I must commend you, that is some really well-written and thought-provoking bear shit you've got there. Cheers and good night.

Lenke til kommentar

excellent written :)

and that is a story that can be applied to so many theses and situations.

i would actually like to see that story published at some points,

it could serve as an eyeopener for many people and communities.

but alas, get short stories like that published isn't the easiest thing in the world-.

but for your own sake and confidence: try-

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...