Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Or you could just learn common frases in German and French. When you work in a service business that requires communication with other people, it's your own fault that you can't communicate. Besides, French is actually one of the languages of trade so it is pretty international.

(...)

I disagree on that, they know a few phrases in English, they just refuse to acknowledge that they understand, they bluntly refuse to at least make themselves understood even if they understand what I say. I can communicate with them, I know the language that is after all seen as the international language, that they are such old schools that they don't want to make themselves understood is their own fault.

Beside, when you're travelling in Scandinavia you ought to at least have the possibility to phrase common things in English. They can't expect everyone to speak their language, especially since English is as common as it is while French and German isn't. I haven't seen that many German or French movies yet I've seen quite few of them in English. The problem however is that they translate every forsaken movie to their own language and so they will never learn. I can however communicate in at least a few phrases in German, like the numbers, but I can't speak in Spanish, Italian, Russian, Finnish, French etc etc. I can't learn every language in the world just because some are so old schooled that they wont see the truth for what it is.

Lenke til kommentar

I'm actually kind of tired right now. I just finished running 10 kilometers - I actually made it in 55 minutes and 2 seconds! Since I've only been torturing myself like this for a little under 3 months, I'm really happy about the result. I've only done like 6-7 kilometers. Well, I did do 30 kilometers while I was in the army, but that doesn't really count, since I didn't have much choice.

I'll try to keep this up, by doing this crap 3-4 times a week. I'll also do some weight-lifting and some basic abdominal and back workouts. If I can keep this up, maybe Ill be fit enough to do a half marathon in a year or two? Well, I sure hope I can, because that would be fun. It's kinda sad to run alone, but I had the birds and fish to keep me company.

Why haven't I found this place before? Great initiative to have a thread to practice english.

Lenke til kommentar
I disagree on that, they know a few phrases in English, they just refuse to acknowledge that they understand, they bluntly refuse to at least make themselves understood even if they understand what I say. I can communicate with them, I know the language that is after all seen as the international language, that they are such old schools that they don't want to make themselves understood is their own fault.

Beside, when you're travelling in Scandinavia you ought to at least have the possibility to phrase common things in English. They can't expect everyone to speak their language, especially since English is as common as it is while French and German isn't. I haven't seen that many German or French movies yet I've seen quite few of them in English. The problem however is that they translate every forsaken movie to their own language and so they will never learn. I can however communicate in at least a few phrases in German, like the numbers, but I can't speak in Spanish, Italian, Russian, Finnish, French etc etc. I can't learn every language in the world just because some are so old schooled that they wont see the truth for what it is.

Still you can't say it's the peoples fault, but rather the governments of those nations. Like you mention foreign movies in their countries get translated. You might think this is bad, but obviously the people of France and Germany does not.

You shouldn't compare Norway to those nations either, as they both are considered great powers(at least France in terms of military, Germany is a major economic power) while Norway is a country with small population that has been influenced by others throughout its existance. F.ex 100 years ago a norwegian was much more likely to speak German than any other foreign language as Norway was in Germany's sphere of influence.

Some might think that English is the official international language, but it is not. The only reason we speak English is because of the last 60 years of american hegemony.

Endret av Huskarl
Lenke til kommentar
Still you can't say it's the peoples fault, but rather the governments of those nations. Like you mention foreign movies in their countries get translated. You might think this is bad, but obviously the people of France and Germany does not.

You shouldn't compare Norway to those nations either, as they both are considered great powers(at least France in terms of military, Germany is a major economic power) while Norway is a country with small population that has been influenced by others throughout its existance. F.ex 100 years ago a norwegian was much more likely to speak German than any other foreign language as Norway was in Germany's sphere of influence.

Some might think that English is the official international language, but it is not. The only reason we speak English is because of the last 60 years of american hegemony.

I'm not encourage by the government to learn my English, I've taken my own course to learn the language. It depends on how much you yourself are interested to understand others and if you're travelling in contries like Norway I think you should expect that no many can understand your language at all and you yourself should take the necessary steps to make sure you can at least make yourself understood. This is resting on the people travelling, not the government from the land they origin from.

We're influenced in every way if we like it or not, the world has become a much smaller place thanks to modern ways of communicating. The only reason that people don't want to learn English is because they're old school people who refuse to change accordingly.

Lenke til kommentar
I'm not encourage by the government to learn my English, I've taken my own course to learn the language. It depends on how much you yourself are interested to understand others and if you're travelling in contries like Norway I think you should expect that no many can understand your language at all and you yourself should take the necessary steps to make sure you can at least make yourself understood. This is resting on the people travelling, not the government from the land they origin from.

I too learned English mostly on my own, but the most complicated grammar I learned in school. There is almost a connection between linguality in different countries and their policy. What I was trying to say was that a country of 60 or 80 million people don't need as much foreign connection as a country of 4,5 million people, when these countries produce alot of their own. Hence Norway is more dependent on this, so its citizens get affected leading to us being bilingual. Still the knowledge of English in Europe is very wide, except for France which is the most independent european economy.

We're influenced in every way if we like it or not, the world has become a much smaller place thanks to modern ways of communicating. The only reason that people don't want to learn English is because they're old school people who refuse to change accordingly.

I didn't say we were not influenced. I said Norway is far more influenced than huge countries, which you clearly see the result of. People that don't want to learn English might not need it, as opposed to in Norway were you have a great advantage of knowing English.

Your wish of everyone changing language to English is an impossible scenario anyway. There have always been a lingua franca('international' language). Like Latin was through the entire middle ages, and French following, until English up 'till recently.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...