Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Several times I've had to search up the English word first then translate it to figure out "ah now that's the word I'm looking for" in Norwegian :)

It's never gone quite that far, but I have the same problem. Some words I have in "my personal vocabulary", I can define and use in English. However I often have problems finding the Norwegian equivalent of it.

Note: My grammar is no better in English than Norwegian. That's why I've taken some more time to try and remove some of the more obvious mistakes. (feel free to lynch me)

Lenke til kommentar

[entering late-at-night state-of-mind]

And why just Norway? The whole world should be speaking English. Communication throughout the world would become easy as pie! Think about it - everyone speaking English as their main language! Everyone would be able to communicate with everyone. No trying to interpret everyone else's nonsense. No desperate use of body language just to order a glass of water or find the way to the subway station or whatever else you're trying to do.

I too often find myself wondering what the Norwegian equivalent of an English word is. Actually, I tend to find English a much more useful language. I don't know if it really has a broader vocabulary than Norwegian, but at least I find it a better language to communicate in (in writing, that is. My oral English is thoroughly horrible!).

Endret av Henrik B
Lenke til kommentar
I too often find myself wondering what the Norwegian equivalent of an English word is. Actually, I tend to find English a much more useful language. I don't know if it really has a broader vocabulary than Norwegian, but at least I find it a better language to communicate in (in writing, that is. My oral English is thoroughly horrible!).

Having lived in England for a year I have actually come across that a bit.. For many words in english there are no good norwegian equivalents, because of the difference in how we convey meanings in words and sentences, I think. So when you try to find an equivalent word for something, it is not actually possible because of the differences in the language structure. That is my thought anyway.

And believe me, to find the right words when speaking english is not always that easy : p Although it does become easier when you get the daily excercise, there is always something you want to say which you absolutely cannot find the right word for!

Lenke til kommentar

The worst is when you're in a debate and you know exactly how to win the debate, only to find that you have won the debate in your head and in English as well, so you end up sitting there, stuttering, without any way to convey those so excelent made points you had in your head.

Lenke til kommentar
[...] I don't know if it really has a broader vocabulary than Norwegian, but at least I find it a better language to communicate in (in writing, that is. My oral English is thoroughly horrible!).

Actually, English does in fact have a much broader vocabulary than Norwegian. I can't recall the exact numbers in my head on the fly, but it was a considerable amount. I'll have a look into it.

Lenke til kommentar

Ok, the thought now of having English as the one and only language is just stronger and stronger. I'm so dead tired of shitheads from France or Germany that is on the verge of "looking down" on you because you don't speak their language. Sometimes I just want to slap them over their faces and say "Speak English you prick". At least understand what I say so I can accept the money you're trying to put out on the counter for those darn postcards. And also, why do they have to discuss every little coin before they lay it down on the counter? I have others behind you morons, get a move on.

Sigh. Sometimes I simply hate working at a hotel. Just had to relieve it somehow, perfect spot right here :)

Lenke til kommentar

I find it hard to express myself in Norwegian sometimes too. Might be a little bit different from some of you people since i'm living in an English speaking country.

English is a much richer language than Norwegian, so often when I speak with my friends or family in Norway I simply can't find the right words to use. Annoying but true.

Dose any of you dream in English?

Endret av pineappl_e
Lenke til kommentar
Ok, the thought now of having English as the one and only language is just stronger and stronger. I'm so dead tired of shitheads from France or Germany that is on the verge of "looking down" on you because you don't speak their language.

Sigh. Sometimes I simply hate working at a hotel. Just had to relieve it somehow, perfect spot right here :)

Or you could just learn common frases in German and French. When you work in a service business that requires communication with other people, it's your own fault that you can't communicate. Besides, French is actually one of the languages of trade so it is pretty international.

English is a much richer language than Norwegian, so often when I speak with my friends or family in Norway I simply can't find the right words to use. Annoying but true.

The reason is the wide borrowing of foreign words from other languages, some 60% of English is Latin and French. Norwegian might be a poorer language but it is not a poor language. If you can't find norwegian words you just have to read more Norwegian instead of English.

Endret av Huskarl
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...