Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Napoli.

Should like to climb that Vesuvio mountain. And see where those US tourists claims the craddle of pizza is. My hotel is just a few blocks away one of these pizzerias, if not too crowded I might step inside, try that Margarita, but I need some pancetta on.

And of course, Duomo, especially the view from the roof, that I have heard is just mesmerizing!!

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Napoli.

Should like to climb that Vesuvio mountain. And see where those US tourists claims the craddle of pizza is. My hotel is just a few blocks away one of these pizzerias, if not too crowded I might step inside, try that Margarita, but I need some pancetta on.

And of course, Duomo, especially the view from the roof, that I have heard is just mesmerizing!!

Nice to Get a change of scenery once in a while. I was in Pittsburgh last weekend. Beautiful views and interesting restaurants along with an outstanding baseball team , the Pittsburgh Pirates. Nothing like a frankfurter in a ballpark!

Lenke til kommentar

What really annoys me is not getting said what I meant to say. Like, you know, when a cat 6 cable is the only one in hand, I should really like to be educated why not use the smaller and cat 5. Of which I have at least a dozen, most in bright colours like red and yellow, the latter much easier to spot than them dull grey people usually connects to ap.

And the topic of movies, why do people go to dumb flicks like Red. Cant understand that one, a much better choice would be Hanna, shot in real winter conditions with real snow and icy cold. That movie ends in an amusement park close to Berlin, old folk like me start thinking resemblances ww2, or maybe not ?

You guys should get this pub up and running in a proper and decent way, there is so much to chat about ;)

Lenke til kommentar

What really annoys me is not getting said what I meant to say. Like, you know, when a cat 6 cable is the only one in hand, I should really like to be educated why not use the smaller and cat 5. Of which I have at least a dozen, most in bright colours like red and yellow, the latter much easier to spot than them dull grey people usually connects to ap.

And the topic of movies, why do people go to dumb flicks like Red. Cant understand that one, a much better choice would be Hanna, shot in real winter conditions with real snow and icy cold. That movie ends in an amusement park close to Berlin, old folk like me start thinking resemblances ww2, or maybe not ?

You guys should get this pub up and running in a proper and decent way, there is so much to chat about ;)

A little schizo tonight are we?

Lenke til kommentar

Better now. Sun is shining, hot cafe latte and strwberry jam on kakuskiva.

Another tunnel accident. Now, at my home turf. As I walked the dog yesterday, lots of yellow cars raced past us, heading for that tunnel. A young man killed, so tragic.

The police opened the tunnel early this morning, I just wonder what they were thinking, my friends on their way to work, seeing scorced walls of that tunnel.

On my way to Domus now, mum wants to see a incinerated Vinmonopol ;) Worse still, the pharmacy next door is also in ashes, where do we now get our medication? I suffer from renal failure, kind of important to get my presciptions in order now.

Lenke til kommentar

Better now. Sun is shining, hot cafe latte and strwberry jam on kakuskiva.

Another tunnel accident. Now, at my home turf. As I walked the dog yesterday, lots of yellow cars raced past us, heading for that tunnel. A young man killed, so tragic.

The police opened the tunnel early this morning, I just wonder what they were thinking, my friends on their way to work, seeing scorced walls of that tunnel.

On my way to Domus now, mum wants to see a incinerated Vinmonopol ;) Worse still, the pharmacy next door is also in ashes, where do we now get our medication? I suffer from renal failure, kind of important to get my presciptions in order now.

Where did the name Domus come from, by the way? Do + mus?

On my way to the Detroit Jazz Festival across Lake Erie, 350 km long, end to end, followed by Lake Saint Clair. Dodging the ocean bound freighters can be a challenge

Lenke til kommentar

Frankly, I do think that that one has the straightforward Latin origin "Domus" = House...

And since it is for the ..."people's cooperative shop", it is probably intended as an elliptical construction such that the longer expression would be "Domus Populi" or something like that (or, possibly, "Domus Nostrae").

Say what, you're sailing ? What kind of boat do you have (sail or motor) ?

Lenke til kommentar

Frankly, I do think that that one has the straightforward Latin origin "Domus" = House...

And since it is for the ..."people's cooperative shop", it is probably intended as an elliptical construction such that the longer expression would be "Domus Populi" or something like that (or, possibly, "Domus Nostrae").

Say what, you're sailing ? What kind of boat do you have (sail or motor) ?

You have an interesting way of writing. How did you learn English?

I grew up racing sailboats on the Great Lakes but am crossing Lake Erie by ferry this time Our last sailboat was J29 if you are familiar with sailboats. We call power boats stinkpots and in Midwest vernacular rarely say motorboat

Any sailing background yourself? I live in cincinnati and am more or less landlocked. I miss the water

Lenke til kommentar

How I learned (and am learning...) English ?

(Note: Am learning is an appropriate phrasing, seeing as I managed to write it "is learning"...)

I'm tempted to answer "step by step" ... I did have some English in grade school from grade 4 or 5 (grade 1 was the first year, and we were expected to learn to read during that year), then I of course had it in high school, and during the last two years there, I had (for a change) an intelligent English teacher. Apart from being English, he also had the good sense to not understand anything but English during the English lessons, thereby forcing us students to use the language in the classroom, instead of merely parroting phrases from books.

After that, I can't remember any more formal education on the subject - but I've had one or two side angles to this of my own volition:

For one thing, I'm interested in "Computers, how to program" - and most interesting information on that was only easily available in English.

For another thing, I'm an avid reader.

For the third part, I had the good sense to re-read a number of English books (many of which were written by Agatha Christie...) that I had already read in translation. Doing this meant that I already knew the story and could concentrate on the language.

Since those days, I've also been a net.citizen since the nineties; I've made it a habit to occasionally seek out sources of good English primarily because they were in English; and I've also taken an interest in the politics and economy of some of the major English-speaking countries. All of which revolves, some way or another, around the language English.

Endret av akroev
Lenke til kommentar

How I learned (and am learning...) English ?

So, you are norsk indeed then?

I have never learnt any English, except at nursery school, back in the early sixties. It was at home, I learnt my pathetic English, kindly tutored by Scrooge :-)

Thats all, since 1975, I have never been advised how to write or speak proper English. Seven year at a University, I had to read it all in English, German was back then the language of Botanical literature, I managed somehow to get the translated English version of those books.

I still dont dare to utter mor than two or three words in this language, and I havent the faintest idea whether my writing is anything near English. Altough I dream that this is the real thing, I know for sure it is not, I should really like some way to improve my writing.

That speaking part of it, well, thats kind of me. Suffering from some sort of "neck disorder", affecting my vocal cords, people like me tend to stay low in public, not talking at all :-(

So, I dont read any books, hardly the papers due to my impairment. I am a slave to the telly, watching movies every night. Mostly science fiction like Alien, Startrek and Stargate, but also them good action movies starring Denzel Wash. To get a better experience of the movies, I never use subtitles, I try to grap what the actors say, not what a foreign translator think they are saying.

i dont like that internett, I dont fancy beeing on any of them social networks. But I have to, that facebook is imperative to get some sense of what is going on where I live . And my interest in them movies, you cannot manage wihout vudu, imdb, flixter, youttube, dvdtalk and wikipedia can you?

Endret av Dryasanne
Lenke til kommentar

The Internet is a transport network for digital data that is transmitted according to certain specific protocols.

Full stop.

New paragraph.

-----

What I mean by the above ?

Simply this: The Internet itself is roughly like a road network. It says nothing about what gets transported where, when, at what total speed (maximum speeds, yes; total speed, no) - it merely allows for traffic and gives certain physical limitations that the traffic needs to stay within.

Consequently, what you described as "that Internett" is (probably) just a certain subgroup of it - and much of what is labeled "social networks" is quite likely to be some form of crap. With or without flavoring, but crap nonetheless.

But the one thing about the Internet that is simultaneously both good and bad - is the fact that the quality of anything on the 'net (apart from questions of transmission speed and reliability) is a question of what the people involved do. As an example, take this site: Some people here discuss personal economy, or history, from a serious and useful perspective - others keep wasting their time posting sh*tty jokes and worse puns.

So, what to do ?

Simply do what you would do in just about any other area of social life (much use of the 'net is by definition social activity): Look before you leap, observe attitudes and appearances (but remember to look deeper than just the surface), be reticent about identifying yourself, stay sober, don't accept anything at face value - and keep your passwords well hidden and suitably frequently changed!

Lenke til kommentar

He's nitpicking about what "the Internet" means. Just because we understand what you mean by "the Internet" doesn't mean it's 100% correct.

There's an English fellow who's rather eloquent when it comes to ranting about things, and "grammar Nazis" is one thing he rants about.

It's none other than Stephen Fry, and the rant is a wonderful piece.

Lenke til kommentar

Oh, so you didnt understand my message.

I was trying to say, internet has gone to my head, I have developed a mental disease due to alt for many hours at that f* net.

You see, I had my first lesson in web browsing and database search back in 1986 Ten years later, Christmas 1995, my doctor took me out of work, since then I have been 100% uføretrygdet

So, its not easy nowadays, being old and wise, knowing every aspect of internet, trying to get relieved by troublesome grandkids.

Lenke til kommentar

If you think that was a rant, you're sorely mistaken. It was a simple text of information and advice.

And frankly, if giving advice is to be labeled "ranting" - then what the **** is the point of having a discussion site in the first place ????

I wouldnt call it a rant but rather a statement of the obvious to probably all but a few small children. I think the issue may be that Drysanne's message was unclear at best

In my view this thread is supposed to be conversational and as with all friendly conversations, asking questions are better received than spouting information , however well intentioned

In that vein, I'm curious what y'all do to pay your bills and what hobbies you might have. I'm a research chemist , like to brew beer, sail and watch club soccer, in addition to learning norwegian

Anybody else want to share ?

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...