Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Anyway, norwegian is a tricky language to learn, pronunciation wise :p

Det vet jeg godt! And you Norwegians elongate the vowels and sound sing-songy to us americans when you speak English. We americans especially like to shorten vowel sounds with our nasality

Anybody remember Fleksnes mocking norwegian Americans?

Dette er LA8PV mayday mayday!(radioten)

I heard myself in his caricature of americans. Of course there's the Swedish chef in the Muppets....

Lenke til kommentar

The most unliked dialects in Norway would have to be both Trøndersk and Bergensk.

Personally, I believe this to be a case of "Us and them"-mentality, as Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim are the three cities of Norway.

And no, I can't say that I've ever heard the Norwegian American dialect. Got any good examples?

Scandinavian Americans use the expression "uff da" alot, have trouble with the J sound, and do the I'm almost out of breathe sucking sound while saying yeah. The weirdest part for me is that I started doing the same things after living in Norway, native speaker or not. It took 3 months to get rid of it

Lenke til kommentar
  • 2 måneder senere...

Just curious- what do y'all do for christmas these days in Det Gamle Landet? Any special plans or festivities? I just had a xmas barbecue in North Carolina with a roasted pig.

Is Santy gonna grace you with his presence this year? Do you norwegians go to church on xmas anymore?

Just trying to kickstart this moribund thread with some holiday cheer!

Lenke til kommentar

Oh yeah!

I was planning to get buried next to one!

No idea why, traditions I guess.

No I don't celebrate christmas 'cos of a dead fictional character, I celebrate it 'cause it's the only part of the year I get days off work to go and see my family.

Essentially you dont celebrate Xmas but mooch off others for the days off

Lenke til kommentar

Difference between me and my coworkers:
They get to see their families after work every day, I have to travel 6-7 hours to see mine.
So no I don't feel bad about having 3-4 days off to see my family during christmas.
Not my fault it's a public holiday is it?
And how is it "mooching" if shops are closed anyway?
Care to enlighten me on that matter?

Besides, how many norwegians are actually celebrating christmas for what it truly is? :)

Edit:
One of my coworkers have to work 3 hours on christmas day I forgot, but it's because she asked to due to extra wages.
When she's done she goes straight back to her fiancé and step-son.

Endret av Snurreleif
Lenke til kommentar

Difference between me and my coworkers:

They get to see their families after work every day, I have to travel 6-7 hours to see mine.

So no I don't feel bad about having 3-4 days off to see my family during christmas.

Not my fault it's a public holiday is it?

And how is it "mooching" if shops are closed anyway?

Care to enlighten me on that matter?

Besides, how many norwegians are actually celebrating christmas for what it truly is? :)

Edit:

One of my coworkers have to work 3 hours on christmas day I forgot, but it's because she asked to due to extra wages.

When she's done she goes straight back to her fiancé and step-son.

Sorry you don't work close to your family, that can be no fun. I am not sure you understood what I meant by mooching. In Midwest American slang it mostly means taking advantage of something without working or paying for it. One may mooch a ride from a friend who is driving there anyway if you become a moocher, you are always asking for favors and trying to wiggle out of paying for things

In your case you are taking advantage of something you don't even believe should exist, a religious holiday. I assume in your dream world religion would not exist and holidays would only be for secular reasons. Some atheist activists in America try to eliminate religious holidays, even though they only exist in the private sphere(separation of church and state prevents public religious holidays) because it promotes religion. These folks are definitely not moochers

Also, time off is time off, whether or not your personal circumstances make it seem unfair. It is still time off you wouldn't have otherwise

BTW calling someone a moocher is usually friendly banter, unserious teasing

Lenke til kommentar

I don't consider it mooching if he gets a few days off from work to go see his family. This is normal in Norway. It would be mooching if he had to ask for it, but he's fully within his rights to take days off during this time.

Mooching doesn't require one to ask for something, only take advantage of it without contributing to the something.

He, of course has full rights to do so.

I might, for example receive a free ticket to see a speaker I am not interested in, but come late to the seminar just so I can eat the nice dinner after the speech. It is this kind of mooching I am talking about. It's not bad to do, it is just marginally disingenuous

Lenke til kommentar
Gjest Slettet+5132

When I read the opening post of this thread, I didn't quite understand the meaning of this thread. Is it like "forumkafèen" in english, or is it a place where we can discuss the englis language?

Lenke til kommentar

When I read the opening post of this thread, I didn't quite understand the meaning of this thread. Is it like "forumkafèen" in english, or is it a place where we can discuss the englis language?

Anything goes, if you think it could be discussed while chugging down some brews at yer local pub, even discussions like why do Brits say pavement when yanks say sidewalk! Or how on earth do Norwegians pronounce words like B-jorn and kjeller and why do they suck in air when you are talking like they can't breathe and why would you ever eat rotten fish soaked in lye?

Lenke til kommentar
  • 2 uker senere...

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...