Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Adjective

ambient (comparative more ambient, superlative most ambient)

Positive

ambient

Comparative

more ambient

Superlative

most ambient

1. Encompassing on all sides; surrounding; encircling; enveloping.

A cup of tea eventually cools to the ambient temperature.

“Ambient Intelligence” represents an intelligent environment of computing nodes.

2. (music) Slow and peaceful; atmospheric.

Anyone then have some metal I should look up on Spotify that doesn't rip your ears off and thrown them to the devil?

Lenke til kommentar

In that context, I refer to atmospheric music. Not the "in your face tirade of angry words and hate" type of shit, but rather more ambient "mood" music. Music that paints an image without necessarily using words. I do not, however, refer to "slow" or "peaceful" music. Those are relative terms.

Bear, I do not believe you would be interested in my tastes. But... these are bands I consider ambient:

- Drudkh (Ukrainian black metal)

- Empyrium (German atmospheric folk.. metal)

- Burzum (You know it. So Varg killed someone and was an arsonist. And that matters why? His music still rocks.)

- Make A Change... Kill Yourself (depressive black)

- Forest Of Shadows (Shoe-gaze doom. Pathetic lyrics but great vocals.)

- Lustmord (Not metal, but great, dark atmospheric stuff.)

- Electric Wizard (Sludge/Stoner metal)

- Kevorkian Death Cycle (Industrial-Electro)

- Type O Negative (Metal of some sort. I prefer the older albums.)

- Dargaard (Hard to define. Wiki claims "neo-classical darkwave".)

Lenke til kommentar
Anyone then have some metal I should look up on Spotify that doesn't rip your ears off and thrown them to the devil?

Metal that doesn't rip your ears off and throw them to the devil?

Alright.

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

Ambeon - Cold Metal

Ayreon - The Two Gates

Liquid Tension Experiment - Universal Mind (Instrumental song)

Rammstein - Du Hast

None of those songs are "ear-ripping", "growling", "gurgling" or devil-worshipping. Do post when you've heard some of them, and tell us how you feel about them.

Lenke til kommentar
I disassociate Varg from Burzum. I'm one of the few that do, though. I don't give a rat's ass about Varg's guilt or innocence. My interest lies only in his music.

You were the one who mentioned Varg and the crimes you claim he committed.

You know it. So Varg killed someone and was an arsonist. And that matters why? His music still rocks

And yes, Varg has made a few good songs like "war", "Jesu doed" and "Det som en gang var".

Lenke til kommentar
I disassociate Varg from Burzum. I'm one of the few that do, though. I don't give a rat's ass about Varg's guilt or innocence. My interest lies only in his music.

You were the one who mentioned Varg and the crimes you claim he committed.

You know it. So Varg killed someone and was an arsonist. And that matters why? His music still rocks

And yes, Varg has made a few good songs like "war", "Jesu doed" and "Det som en gang var".

90% of the time, when I mention Burzum, people bring up Varg and all his baggage, as if it were relevant to the discussion. I'm tired of hearing about it. That is why I included that comment, in parenthesis; to let people know in advance that I don't give a damn about the man's life, and people should quit resenting the music because of the supposed actions of the creator. Make sense?

Lenke til kommentar

A little list:

the book of jhereg

The Amulet From Samarkand [bartimeus trilogien]

The Golem's Eye [bartimeus trilogien]

ptolemy`s gate [bartimeus trilogien]

Magician [book one of 3 in the riftwar saga]

To Sift Through itter Ashes [the grails covenant]

The last to are quite old(90's), so they might prove a bit hard to get hold of...

Endret av 2ball(s)
Lenke til kommentar

Metal that doesn't rip your ears off and throw them to the devil?

Alright.

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

Ambeon - Cold Metal

Ayreon - The Two Gates

Liquid Tension Experiment - Universal Mind (Instrumental song)

Rammstein - Du Hast

None of those songs are "ear-ripping", "growling", "gurgling" or devil-worshipping. Do post when you've heard some of them, and tell us how you feel about them.

A change of Seasons:

Need to get back on this one, dam 23 minutes long, don't have the time to listen to the whole thing just now.

Ambeon:

Can't find them on Spotify, don't have any other means to find this music.

Ayreon - The Two Gates

I'm pleasantly to be quite honest here, I didn't expect just that. Even though it's a distortion type of music but still you're able to listen to the track.

Liquid Tension Experiment

Same, no record on spotify on this search.

Rammstein

Yuck, I just say yuck to that one. I just simply can't get into that music. It isn't the language but the rhythm in it. It's just blunt, plainly, uninspired, boring. There are a few rifts that is on the "meh" but no. Rammstein is one of the bands that I've heard on a few times in different variations, not of my own search but friends who's very into this type of music. I don't like what I hear.

A note of information, there's an abomination boss in World of Warcraft in the old Stratholm instance that is called "Rammstein". I guess that abomination pictures my view of the band.

Sorry to those who're Rammstein fans, I do not mean to be insulting here it's just my opinion of the band :)

@Fox

Regarding books to read, if you're into fantasy you could try the books by David Eddings (may he rest in peace) the "Belgariad" and "Malloreon" series. They come each in 5 books per and the names are as followed:

Belgariad:

Pawn of Prophecy

Queen of Sorcery

Magician's Gambit

Castle of Wizardry

Enchanters' End Game

Malloreon:

Guardians of the West

King of the Murgos

Demon Lord of Karanda

Sorceress of Darshiva

The Seeress of Kell

The reason I recommend those books are because they are easy to read (not that many hard words) and it's a compelling story. Eddings is very good at the characters and he's picturing the different characters perfectly. I found myself laughing openly several times during the books and it's very rare that I actually laugh out loud from reading a book. Chuckle for myself, yes, but not an outburst of laughter that I had reading those books.

One of the main complains regarding Malloreon is that it's so similar to Belgariad but that's actually quite intended from the author's side.

I recommend those books very much, actually I recommend them to everyone who's after a good written fantasy story other than Lewis and Tolkien. My favourite character has to stand between Belgarath and Silk, I just love them both because they're completing each other so perfectly in the way that they are very much alike yet very different.

Sigh, listen to me going on, needless to say that I'm a huge fan of those books :)

And Stephen King, that's someone you can advance to after you've read those books. Per example it's not hard to read the "Four Past midnight" series, even though King is known to use very much American internal jokes and mentions of names and authors that perhaps is well known there but not so much over here.

King has to be the only author I've seen who actually made a subject of himself in a book, and killed himself. Or nearly killed himself. Confusing tale in the end, really.

Ok, I think I've written quite to much now about books, books and more books. Near a complete book nerd, if you need me I'll be reading "Eldest" by Christopher Paolini. Why? Good question, can I get back with the answer?

Lenke til kommentar
A change of Seasons:

Need to get back on this one, dam 23 minutes long, don't have the time to listen to the whole thing just now.

Cool, take your time. :)

Ambeon:

Can't find them on Spotify, don't have any other means to find this music.

I know YouTube has a copy of the song there, that's where I found it first.

Ayreon - The Two Gates

I'm pleasantly to be quite honest here, I didn't expect just that. Even though it's a distortion type of music but still you're able to listen to the track.

It's one of my current fav. songs.

Liquid Tension Experiment

Same, no record on spotify on this search.

Again, it's on YouTube.

Rammstein

Yuck, I just say yuck to that one. I just simply can't get into that music. It isn't the language but the rhythm in it. It's just blunt, plainly, uninspired, boring. There are a few rifts that is on the "meh" but no. Rammstein is one of the bands that I've heard on a few times in different variations, not of my own search but friends who's very into this type of music. I don't like what I hear.

Rammstein's for the specially interested, I was just testing you. ;) (concert in feb, hurray!)

I'm also a great fan of the story of (Bel)Garion, and it's actually my first series I read in fantasy. As thus, it's reserved a special place in my memory, and I frequently re-read it for fun.

Personally though, my absolutely favorite character has to be Belgarath.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...