Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

how come all the English teachers speak with at british accent? and why is that the type of english we have to learn? Irsish-English has to be every Norwegians dream. Some of them say "tink" istead of "think". I'm so going to say "tink" to my next enlish teacher.. she will-naturaly- comment on it and I'll reply: "I've been living in Ireland for two years" :p

Lenke til kommentar

Not sure really. English teachers are sometimes very strange. I had one who was incredibly good in the teaching department but she spoke like Peter Solberg. I had to endure a whole year of that but it was after all great fun in the end.

Another teacher we had in English would fit strait into a picture of Gestapo. My lord I didn't think it was possible for someone to be such a bitch. I flunked French 4 times in a row (yes, 4 times) because she couldn't teach at all and actually scared the whole class off. A few even left after just 1 week running over to the German side. Wonder why I didn't do that.

Anyway, about the "living in *place name here* for *place number of years here*" kind of teachers I have had my share. One we had happened to have a very short memory span so in one class he said he had spent a couple of years in Germany while in the other class he had spent a couple of years in America. The funny thing is that he was only 38 years old and if we added all the "couple of years" where he had been in other countries he should have been around 98 years old.

Ah teachers, some you got to love others you just got to hate. I am however glad I left them 5 years or so ago. And I have no plan going back to the school bench just yet.

Lenke til kommentar
how come all the English teachers speak with at british accent? and why is that the type of english we have to learn? Irsish-English has to be every Norwegians dream. Some of them say "tink" istead of "think". I'm so going to say "tink" to my next enlish teacher.. she will-naturaly- comment on it and I'll reply: "I've been living in Ireland for two years" :p

Well, actually, I've come across more teachers with an American-English accent, rather than a British- English accent. And it's not entirely correct that one's students have to take after you as a teacher, I always encourage my students to find their own path so to speak, and stick to it, try to truly learn their way around their speaking and writing with the accent of their choice.

But then a question arises, what about those students who aren't able to do this? Some students are struggling to just understand and getting a grip of it all, what English is all about. Well, in my opinion it's the teacher's job to encourage and guide their students to the goal of learning the English language towards a higher level, thus making their students want to achieve even more, which then again might help them progress and later on actually be able to choose which accent is more suitable for themselves.

And my suggestion is: if you feel comfortable using, let us say an American-English accent, then stick to it! It would be much easier to focusing on differences between the accents, let alone understand the humour, the over all meaning of each word (some words have different meanings in different accents, f. ex words like "subway", "underground" etc). If you truly want to dig your teeth into what it's all about being a native speaker, one has to come to terms with all the little bits and things of that language. It would be all to confusing trying to learn every single word or meaning in each accent. Though it would be easier that way to find differences, seeing one is so in terms with one's accent, or the accent one is trying to achieve.

Oh, I forgot: most English teachers today, in primary school that is, sadly enough, are not actually qualified as English teachers, often they haven't had the training to become an English teacher. When schools hire a teacher (allmennlærer), many teachers of 1st to 7th grade are forced to become English teachers, without really wanting to become one, seeing that the schools can't really afford hiring a teacher just for teaching English (it's way to expensive).

Endret av yvonne2
Lenke til kommentar

I really hope you become somones Enlish teacher! I've had my share of bad teacher's but Ive alsow been blessed with a coupple of really good ones. Having a good teacher really makes a defference. Especially for the ones who are struggeling.

My English is far from perfect and to my own dissapointment it took me to long to realise that. 98% of all the things I've neglected to learn and the bad habits I've developed ultimately rest on my own two shoulders.

This alsow aplies to all other classes. But english is the class I've allways kept around a grade 5, without any serios effort.

I even got 5 on an Englist essay with 14 grammar mistakes. Because "I had such exelent" language.

So what I'm trying to say is that I've been a little arrogant, I might even come off as a little arrogant in this post :p

Well I'm tired and I got a little sidetracked, but what I was trying to say is that it seems you are going to make a great teacher, yvonne. But alsow that a great teacher isn't enough. a teacher is mostly there for guidance and help when it is needed.

The learning is all up to one self. If you ever have a student(and I'm sure you will) that Is a bit ahed of the other students make sure that he doesn't get to confidente in him/her self. It is just as important to guide and help the those type of students as it is helping those who struggle. perhaps not halp as much as guide.

Holy shit, I'm rambling on! ^^

I'll just stop here. Sometimes I just get lost in my own thougts. if a keyboard or any other form of "reciver" is present I might find it hard to stop.

Maby I should start wrighting down notes? Might come in handy. maby I can even pice togeather a book sometime^^ who knows what the future brings.

PS: If somone would take the time to underline(or something like that) all my little(and major?) "bloopers", it might bring me back down to erath.

One last thing: I find it a bit amusing that I wrote all this in the quick-reply :wee:

Feel free to slaughter me..(I like it)

Edit: Holy shit that was even more than I realized! :p

Final edit: Everything after "Holy shit, I'm rambling on! ^^" was suposed to be "last notes" xD

I forgot: I'm guessing yvonne isn't going to teach primary school. It might seem I juped to that conclusion.

Endret av 2ball(s)
Lenke til kommentar

Well, thanks 2ball(s), and yes, I might teach in primary school, seeing I've just finished off allmennlærerutdanningen. Anyway, you're right, and it goes for all students really - those reaching for higher, or lower levels, of understanding English. I mean, one should always encourage one's students to want to learn more, but one has to find the tool of differentiated learning. It's not easy, quite hard actually, but fun! :)

Endret av yvonne2
Lenke til kommentar
Well, thanks 2ball(s), and yes, I might teach in primary school, seeing I've just finished off allmennlærerutdanningen. Anyway, you're right, and it goes for all students really - those reaching for higher, or lower levels, of understanding English. I mean, one should always encourage one's students to want to learn more, but one has to find the tool of differentiated learning. It's not easy, quite hard actually, but fun! :)

I bet you'll be a exellent English teacher and your english is flawless. And indeed a cute one;)

Lenke til kommentar

Well for some strange reason some say I speak "German - English" but I have no idea what that is because what I've seen many of the Germans speak with a heavy tone on the E sounds and I'm not doing that. I think I speak some sort of break between British and American but I'm not entirely sure.

Lenke til kommentar
Have any of you seen Family Guy?

I just love Stewie's accent! :!:

"Damn you, wile woman!"

Se filmen hos Youtube

:D

God, I love that little cute kid. Seriously, awsome, mostly the reason I watch Family guy in the first place. xD I think children in general with a british accent is just so damn cute, its like awww, the cutest thing ever.

I find british english, SO much more charming than american english. I can just sit and drool, and listen to british guys talk. I bet im going to drool alot then, now when im moving to England :p

Lenke til kommentar
Have any of you seen Family Guy?

I just love Stewie's accent! :!:

"Damn you, wile woman!"

Se filmen hos Youtube

:D

God, I love that little cute kid. Seriously, awsome, mostly the reason I watch Family guy in the first place. xD I think children in general with a british accent is just so damn cute, its like awww, the cutest thing ever.

I find british english, SO much more charming than american english. I can just sit and drool, and listen to british guys talk. I bet im going to drool alot then, now when im moving to England :p

No wonder this video has gotten so many hits then :p

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...