Gå til innhold

Porcupine Tree - Albumguide og diskusjon!

Whalecore

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Porcupine Tree The Incident Mini-Review

Today I attended the Porcupine Tree playback for the new album, The Incident. Located at a London studio, the 55 minute epic was played through high quality 5.1 DTS surround sound speakers, showing off the advanced mixing skills of SW, easily matching the sound experience of Deadwing.

It takes many, many listens to fully appreciate and notice all the subtleties of such a long song but even in a single session the unique Porcupine Tree sound was easily recognisable.

Starting very suddenly and changing often, a mixture of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds and Nine Inch Nails shines through the middle section as the “story” of the first song progresses. Intense electric guitar contrasts against “Trains”-like acoustic, interspersed with grand piano which could easily be from Insurgentes.

Indeed, The Incident would not be out of place on the In Absentia album with its heavy guitar riffs and swirling Barbieri synth effects.

We were only treated to the first song, broken down into 14 parts, with 4 remaining, but separate, songs still to be revealed. One thing is certain, this is going to be a good year for Porcupine Tree.

The Incident in the new album from Porcupine Tree, out September 21st 2009.

Lenke til kommentar

Fant nettop dette.

behold people, cause i bring great news for every PT fan out there:

first review:

OK here is the low down on the listening party and "The Incident" :

The Incident consists of 14 songs/interludes that make up the entire piece. I was told that most of what I am about to tell you was forthcoming in a press release by Road Runner, so they weren't too overly concerned about this info leaking a few days early to all you die hard hobbits !

So here it is:

Occam's Razor 1:55

The Blind House 5:47

Great Expectations 1:26

Kneel and Disconnect 2:03

Drawing the Line 4:43

The Incident 5:20

Your Unpleasant Family 1:48

The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00

Time Flies 11:40

Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45

Octane Twisted 5:03

The Séance 2:39

Circle of Manias 2:18

I Drive the Hearse 6:41

All tracks by SW except Octane Twisted and Circle of Manias which are group compositions (besides the 4 other pieces on the separate ep).

Like I posted this AM, I truly do not know what to make of the new PT. It was almost too overwhelming to take in at one sitting, and for me, certainly NOT a CD/LP I could just sit down and immediately come away with a definitive impression of from the moment I heard it. In most cases, for me anyway, this is normally a very good thing, as many of my all time fave records were ones that I wasn't immediately struck by, but I am not sure if this is how it will play out with the new PT, and I did not get a promo copy so I'll have to sit it out like everyone else until the CD is released to get my next listen...

Of the tracks I remember specifically, Time Flies (which I mentioned is very Floydian, but still very much a PT sounding track) was probably the most immediately memorable. It's not uber proggy, but it does reference Dogs and Time liberally (and bits of Run Like Hell and Sheep as well), but still sounds very contemporary and cool !!!! Steven told me this piece was specifically inspired by his childhood/growing up etc.

The Blind House was pretty immediate as well, retro PT acoustic references, harmonies, with some very heavy sustained guitar histrionics as well.

Circle of Manias is the real powerhouse riff monster (along with Octane Twisted if memory serves me right) with tons of Meshuggah-like riffs clashing and crashing along in a torrent of angular time changes and odd meters. This has a similar vibe to Mother and Child Divided, but is much heavier and more angular and f**ked up... Oh, yeah, on this one, SW plays a new Baritone guitar that PRS made for him exclusively !

Drive the Hearse was actually a surprise, as I expected it to be dark and heavy to coincide with the lyrics and song title, but it's not. It's more "song oriented" with a memorable chorus and some really lovely acoustic moments backed with some spooky/eerie synth textures and a soaring solo fade out...

The other track that really got my attention was The Incident, which is, well crushingly funky (as in heavy electronica funk), this song is twisted and really will kick ass live I am betting... Lot's of weird synthy textures and if I had to point to any specific reference point it would be Sleep Together, but without all the strings. This track is more streamlined and stealthy...

Sammenlignet med Meshuggah faktisk. Fyfaen jeg gleder meg!

Lenke til kommentar
Fant nettop dette.

Of the tracks I remember specifically, Time Flies (which I mentioned is very Floydian, but still very much a PT sounding track) was probably the most immediately memorable. It's not uber proggy, but it does reference Dogs and Time liberally (and bits of Run Like Hell and Sheep as well), but still sounds very contemporary and cool !!!! Steven told me this piece was specifically inspired by his childhood/growing up etc.

Dette lover godt

Lenke til kommentar

Hmm.. sitter med litt delte meninger etter å hørt previewen. Men jeg skal ikke dømme en noe etter en slik smakebit. Umulig å få noe skikkelig innblikk i en 55 minutters lang låt av et så "kort" preview. Det å høre hele plata når den kommer vil nok få smilebåndet til å trekkes litt mer enn det dette gjorde.

Lenke til kommentar

Gavin er en gud, min favoritt trommeslager by far. Han har unike fremgangsmåter og ideologier om trommespilling. Gleder meg sykt til å se han i aksjon på scenen i høst! (Det at Steven Wilson står like ved og spiller/synger gjør ikke ting verre akkurat!)

Den fremførelsen på MD Festival som du linker til er enda bedre enn studio-versjonen, fantastisk!

Previewen vitner om et veldig ambisiøst og storslagent, variert album. Jeg hører mye industrial-lyder og soundscapes. Dette kan kan være både positivt og negativt, men det fungerte jo på Insurgentes.

Endret av Speik
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...