Gå til innhold

AoC: blir det conan next?

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse
Enig Goz. Men joa, om spillet blir populært i norge hadde det vært greit med et eget forum. Men på en annen side så vil ikke den vare lenge, siden dette ikke vil være portalen for folk på AoC å henge.

6475196[/snapback]

Portalen for folk på AoC å henge? Det vil vell være det samme som att WoW er her det.

Man har jo alltids den offisielle WoW forumet, såmangt som AoC forumet. Men dette blir jo da ett allmen _norskt_ forum.

Lenke til kommentar

Har en kamerat der som er game-tester og en som er worldbuilder der, og det ser ut som det blir bra saker, bare dem rekker å lage alt :)

jeg har conanonline.net domene viss det er noen som ønsker å drifte ett eventuelt forum eller community opplegg , da på f.eks norskt.

Jeg selv har ikke tid, da jeg blir gående i grønt igjen.

Lenke til kommentar
Enig Goz. Men joa, om spillet blir populært i norge hadde det vært greit med et eget forum. Men på en annen side så vil ikke den vare lenge, siden dette ikke vil være portalen for folk på AoC å henge.

6475196[/snapback]

Portalen for folk på AoC å henge? Det vil vell være det samme som att WoW er her det.

Man har jo alltids den offisielle WoW forumet, såmangt som AoC forumet. Men dette blir jo da ett allmen _norskt_ forum.

6475719[/snapback]

Nei ?

Se Guild Wars f.eks. Folk i norge som spiller guild wars henger IKKE her på forumet. Gwnorge.no eller hva siden deres heter.

Lenke til kommentar

En som forteller litt om hvordan AoC ikke bør bli :!:

I don't really post all that much, but I read these boards like crazy, and I see enough of a trend as far as people coming from WoW (or from WoW straight to EQ) without much of a concept of other types of MMOs.

It kind of sucks that so many people come over from WoW, with no other MMO experience, expecting a certain kind of (extremely shallow and narrow) game. I know it's not their fault, we all associate by what we know. But it's a problem I think that needs to be addressed on these boards. This may sound like old hat to people that have played a lot of other types of MMOs, but this message is not for you. So, here is a message for all of you WoW people:

You've been suckered and lied to about what makes an MMO. WoW is not the "greatest MMO ever". What you are playing is an extremely simple EQ formula MMO that has been done really well with the blessing of a popular license.

"But WoW has over 6 million subscribers!!"

Yes, I know. I am not denying that it's a popular game. What makes it popular is its simplicity. You make a character, give him a face, and are essentially coddled from level 1 to level 60 and on to raiding instances. "Character development" consists of getting what is known as "phat lewtz".

It's popular because it demands very little of the person controlling the character in terms of building a world and a community. You could delete your character, right now, right this second, and it would have no impact whatsoever on the game world. None. Orgrimmar will still be standing, Ragnaros will be there every week--same Bat time, same Bat channel.

Why this is popular is the extremely linear design of every game you've played up to and including WoW. Think about it: it's nothing more than a beefed up single player roller coaster ride. You buy the ticket and are whisked away on a magical ride. You can easily look ahead and see what turns and drops are coming.

Every twist, every turn, and every drop comes with a price, however. Whether it's killing 300 a_shard_spider or a_plague_lurker for a level or reputation grinding or killing Nef for the 20th time, you've been told that your fun comes at a price. That even the simple enjoyment of a decent sword demands countless hours.

Have you ever thought about how asinine it is that a GAME should be "work" in order for you to have fun? Again, this falls into the extremely simple concept of WoW's design. There isn't anything to do besides kill big monsters for big loot. The world is static and forever unchanging. This shallow game design has to be masked as much as possible. This mask comes in the form of extremly long, time consuming tasks while they come up with more content ...more content, of couse, being more time consuming tasks.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY!

Imagine instead of a world that is static, your guild, which before was nothing more than a name below your character name, has a plot of land in the game world. Fighting not for "phat lewtz" from yet another dragon, but instead fighting to keep and expand your land. What would feel more epic to you? 40 people being told exactly how to fight a giant monster, which for your part means pressing "1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1 ...monster down!" or 40 people fighting side by side against an army of 80 people that stand between you and more land held and power gained?

Imagine instead of spending those hours in a game grinding for reputation you spend that time riding to the city of an equally powerful guild to discuss over a few mugs of ale an alliance to carve out your own country. Or making an alliance with a small, family oriented guild of thieves to spy on a foreign threat.

Imagine your faction decided not by the race you pick, but the in game choices you make ...

Imagine a world where the developers think more of your intelligence and creativity than giving you a progression of monsters to fight and instead give you a box full of tools to take the world and make what you wish.

The reason a lot of other MMOs mentioned such as SWG (prior to hologrinding and the revamps), DAoC, UO, AO, and Shadowbane are not as popular is because all of them took risks. Some had technical problems and some of those risks didn't pay off, but they all tried new things. They all approached the idea of an MMO with a sense of adventure. WoW is nothing more than your average, uncreative musician who finds a style that's popular, latches on to it, and does what is safe and what will definitely get record sales.

It just bothers me when I feel that sense of adventure coming back in games like this, where the world is wide open and anything feels possible, and I hear things like:

1) 50 people raiding mosters for phat lewtz.

The death of any good MMO is the death of the small guild. These are the personality guilds, the fun guilds, the group that sees themselves as a small special forces unit rather than a small part of a giant army. It's actually rather symbiotic to have both uberguilds and small guilds. Uberguilds by contrast seem far reaching with deep power (the guild itself is power while the individual is undermined), and smaller guilds seem tight knit and full of life (the player, not the guild is power). Without one, the other is always lacking in some form of world perspective. If you give the giant raids big bosses to fight, and that's where the only good gear is, you're forcing the hand of people who might not necessarily want to be in that position. This is why so many people join a guild, gear up, and /gquit. They don't want to be there. This is why the WoW boards are a non-stop war between arrogant raiders and p.o.'d pvpers and the frustrated guy who works 10 hours a day and just wants to log on and have fun. If you make 1 path "the best", it better damn well be something all types of players have a shot at without forced interaction with people they're rather punch in the throat, endless hours of dealing with 50 DKP MINUS asshats, and being in a situation where they essentially have zero power of their destiny. There's a lot more WoW hate than WoW love at the moment, and for good reason.

2) MMOs should be WORK!

I've played a lot of games where I didn't have to "work" to have fun. UO, SWG (prior to hologrinding the game was amazing), Shadowbane (minus tech problems and some stupid design decisions). The only time I've seen this "work" mentality was in EQ and WoW and (to a much lesser extent because of RvR and less emphasis on gear) DAoC ..where there's nothing to do except "work" because there's no real game there. The worst feeling of all is that if you spend an evening doin nothing (like in SWG I bought a house and decorated it) you're somehow behind or being "lazy" or should be doing SOMETHING to progress. There's so much more to MMOs than progression.

3) Grinding levels or reputation.

In time, the game is going to be populated with an overwhelming majority of max level people. It's going to happen and there's no real way to stop it. This should be a learning process, leveling (or skilling) should be a learning process, not a chore. Grinding is a linear concept, I'd much rather see development move to making their game broader.

4) Instances like they should be anything more than a side show (i.e. THE thing to do, rather than ANOTHER thing to do).

This kind of PvE is fine and dandy. I love a good instance occasionally. Doing an instance and doing an istance 50 times are two very different things. One is something you do for fun and exploration, the other is a chore. It should be rewarded, but not randomly rewarded like drops. Something that keeps them interesting.

5) Endless smatterings of a general game outlook that promotes linear play above putting the power in the hands of the players.

Instead of looking at the end game as a "phat lewtz" vending machine, sit down and think about all of the other cool things that could be in a game. Think of it in terms of killing a dragon 10 weeks in a row or spending 6 hours a day for 2 weeks grinding reputation ...what would you RATHER do instead? PvP? Well, how would you give it meaning? Travel? Well, why not meet other guilds and cities and create alliances? Crafting? How would you make it meaningful? Build a house? How would you decorate it? Build a reputation among the playerbase? Okay, how? Minigames? What kind and what stakes?

It just feels like since WoW came out, the MMO world went to sleep. Now that it's slowly starting to wake up again, it's taken a 10 year back slide. I'd like to see the genre move forward again. I'd like to see risks being taken instead of following safe formulas.

The roller coaster ride is over. It'll be there if you want to buy another ticket, but go check out the rest of the amusement park. There's a lot of cool rides and shows and other things to do in MMO Land.

Sorry for the long rant, I just hope the stink of WoW doesn't find itself in this game, and the MMO genre can move forward again.

Lenke til kommentar
En som forteller litt om hvordan AoC ikke bør bli :!:

Sorry for the long rant, I just hope the stink of WoW doesn't find itself in this game, and the MMO genre can move forward again.

6476900[/snapback]

Ja, er faktisk verdt å lese det innlegget :) Er ganske bra skrevet. Og jeg er hvertfall enig. Gå innom det offisiellet AoC forumet for å lese litt mer fra den tråden..

Det er ganske interessangt :)

Lenke til kommentar
Synest WoW er gøy jeg. Bygge opp den nye hunteren min, spare masse gull så skal jeg kjøpe meg noen stilige items på rundt level 50, ta insatnces å klare dem sammen med randoms,ta nye instances, oppdage ye bosser og plasser.

6513965[/snapback]

Legger du til "farme pvp" der så har du faktisk oppsumert WoW på 3 linjer. :thumbup:

Lenke til kommentar
noen som vet en ca dato for AoC? :)

6515752[/snapback]

Håper på en fin julegave her men kan jo ikke väre sikker.

6515902[/snapback]

Vil nok tru att det er målet til Funcom ja. :) Med tanke på att det kommer så mange andre MMO's rundt de tidene der iår også. Så det er nok skummelt for dem om julepakkene skulle ha gluppet.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...