Gå til innhold

[Løst] Sannsynlighet for at livet har oppstått tilfeldig (Ateister: Er dere fortsatt like sterke i troen etter dette?)

Anbefalte innlegg

Jeg gjengir her en artikkel skrevet av Dominic Statham som troende ateister vil slite med.

Jeg er selv ikke kristen, men at det er en intelligent vilje bak universet står imidlertid klart for meg. Velbekomme:

Hawking claims that life can form by chance

Aliens probably do exist says top cosmologist

by Dominic Statham

Published: 13 October 2010(GMT+10)

Stephen Hawking was, for thirty years, Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University, and is one of the world’s foremost cosmologists. He regularly features in popular science television programmes, and his phenomenally successful book, A Brief History of Time, has over nine million copies in print.1 His latest book The Grand Design declares that no creator was necessary (see detailed refutation).

In one of his most recent broadcasts, Stephen Hawking’s universe,2 he unequivocally subscribes to the view that extraterrestrials are probably common place. Since our galaxy is just one of 100 billion, he argues, “the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.” Indeed, he claims, “Stars Wars and Star Trek … may be closer to reality than we think … in our vast, ancient universe, almost any form that is physically possible is likely to exist or have existed somewhere.”

Hawking offers two explanations as to how life might have begun on Earth. The first is that this happened by accident—that random collisions of amino acids in a primordial soup, over millions of years, just happened to produce the right combination of molecules. This he describes as “the ultimate, lucky break that started the chain of life.” In making this statement, he demonstrates that he is unaware of the simple chemical fact that amino acids in a soup would not spontaneously link up; rather, any chains would break down—see Origin of life: the polymerization problem. Furthermore, there are other components of any primordial soup that would block chains from growing or destroy the amino acids. But this article is concerned mainly with his probability fallacies.

Although he accepts that the chance of life arising spontaneously is very small, he does not feel that this is a problem for this theory. “It’s like winning a lottery” he claims. “Although the odds are astronomical, most weeks, someone hits the jackpot.”

The second explanation he gives is panspermia—that life was seeded on earth by asteroids—a view shared by fellow atheist Francis Crick (see Designed by aliens? Discoverers of DNA’s structure attack Christianity). However, as we have pointed out many times before, all this does is transfer the problem of life’s origin to another time and place in the universe. See also Panspermia theory burned to a crisp: bacteria couldn’t survive on meteorite.

Given Hawking’s mathematical background, his treatment of the probability of life beginning in the way he suggests is astonishing. Moreover, his confusing the issue with a lottery beggars belief. In a typical lottery, with say a million participants, where each person buys just one ticket and the winning number is drawn from the numbers purchased, the probability of a particular participant winning is one in a million. However the probability that there will be a winner is one (a guaranteed certainty!). There is no certainty that life will arise from a pool of amino acids. Hawking is really just ‘cheating with chance’. Other lotteries are organised slightly differently, and it is possible that the winning number will not have been purchased. However, the fact that “most weeks, someone hits the jackpot” shows that there is still a high probability of someone winning.

For life to begin through the random shuffling of chemicals in a primordial soup, many exceedingly unlikely events must take place. Not just one, but many particular combinations of molecules must be formed. The probability of just one protein forming from amino acids is tiny. The probability of many forming is too small to be considered credible. Let’s have a look at a few simple calculations.

As everyone knows, the probability of tossing a coin and it landing ‘heads up’ is 1 in 2 (i.e. 0.5). The probability of two coins landing ‘heads up’ is 1 in 4 (i.e. 0.52 = 0.25). The probability of three coins landing ‘heads up’ is 1 in 8 (i.e. 0.53 = 0.125). The probability of a hundred coins landing ‘heads up’ is 0.5100, that is around 1 in 1030. (1030 is 1 followed by 30 zeroes.) A similar calculation might be made for amino acids forming proteins (the building blocks of life).

chirality.jpg

Diagram of chirality.

Amino acids (except the simplest, glycine) come in two forms—‘left-handed’ and ‘right-handed’. This is known as chirality (see diagram, right). For a number of amino acids to form a functional protein, they must all be like-handed (or homochiral). In actual fact, proteins in living organisms have all left-handed amino acids. For a short protein of only 100 amino acids, the probability of this occurring is the same as a hundred coins landing ‘heads up’, i.e. 1 in 1030. (The homochirality problem is even more acute for RNA and DNA, which contain all right-handed sugars. One wrong-handed molecule can disrupt replication by terminating the growing chain.)

The minimum number of proteins required to assemble a working, self-replicating cell is estimated to be at least 387 (see How simple can life be?). Let us be particularly generous to evolution theory and say that only 300 are required. What is the probability of 300 amino acid chains arising with the characteristics outlined above? Again, the calculation is easy. It is 1 in 10(30 x 300), i.e. 1 in 109,000.

But what about Hawking’s point that our galaxy is just one of 100 billion? Given the many, many billions of planets that exist and the alleged 14 or 15 billion years that the universe has been around, surely it’s reasonable to believe that life evolved on at least a few of these planets?

Let us do some more basic calculations. 1 in 109,000 is the probability of tossing a set of 29,897 coins and all of them landing ‘heads up’ (because 0.529,897 = 10–9,000, i.e. 1 in 109,000). Supposing every atom in the universe (of which there are an estimated 1080) turned into a machine capable of tossing a set of 29,897 coins all at once, a billion times each second. How many sets of 29,897 coins could we toss in the alleged 15 billion years the universe has existed?

The answer is 1080 x 15 x 109 x 365 x 24 x 60 x 60 x 109 = 5 x 10106, say 10107.

The chances of achieving something with a probability of 10–9,000 when 10107 attempts are made is 10–9,000 x 10107 = 10–8,893, i.e. 1 in 1 followed by 8,893 zeroes. This is such an unimaginably small fraction that the idea of proteins forming by random collisions of amino acids to form a living, self-replicating cell may be seen to be utterly, utterly implausible.

Evolutionists themselves have admitted that ‘The activation of amino acids and the formation of peptides under primordial conditions is one of the great riddles of the origin of life.’

Moreover, this is just the beginning of the problems for these kinds of origin of life scenarios.3 For example, not only do the amino acids have to be like-handed, they must bond to each other in a particular way—that is, they must form ‘peptide bonds’. Even in a specially prepared protected environment (in a test tube), experiments indicate that there is only a 1 in 2 chance of this happening with each amino acid. Hence, the probability of 100 amino acids coming together by chance, all having the same handedness and all forming peptide bonds, is around 1 in 1060.4 Chemists who make proteins actually block non-peptide reaction sites with “protecting groups”, then remove those after the reaction (and they exclude water and any alkali).5 The primordial soup didn’t have such helpful chemists around. Indeed, evolutionists themselves have admitted that “The activation of amino acids and the formation of peptides under primordial conditions is one of the great riddles of the origin of life.”6

Furthermore, there are any one of 20 types of amino acid that could assemble themselves in any of the 100 positions along the chain. Hence, there are 20100 = 10130 ways that the protein could form. Only a very small fraction of these would form the functional proteins needed to get the simplest biological cell going.7 Further to this, a self replicating cell would require other complex molecules such as RNA/DNA—and there are similar problems with handedness, as mentioned above, as well as with linking up at all, let alone in the right way, and obtaining the right sequence (see Evolutionist criticisms of the RNA World conjecture). No wonder the Nobel Prize-winner, Jacques Monod, argued that the probability of life emerging by random processes is so small that it might be considered to be “zero”.8

Hawking’s conviction that evolution is true appears to be more intuitive than scientific. “In such a massive place as the cosmos,” he opines, “we only have to look at ourselves for proof that extremely unlikely things can and do happen all the time.” In other words, whatever the difficulties in explaining evolution, the existence of humans is proof that it can happen. Talk about begging the question!9

Many evolutionists have now abandoned pure chance as an explanation for life’s origin. They tend to favour the idea that currently unobserved natural laws exist which caused functional proteins and RNA/DNA molecules to form. They believe that, if they continue their research, they will discover these laws.<a href="http://creation.com/hawking-aliens-life-by-chance#endRef10">10 But this is a faith, as evolutionary information theorist Hubert Yockey admitted.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Forskere har allerede klart å skape noen av RNA-kodene ved å blande prehistoriske stoffer med prehistorisk klima. Mener jeg så en dokumentar om dette i Wormhole-serien (link i signaturen).

Kort fortalt. så vet vi ikke hvordan livet oppstod på Jorda, men vi har mange gode hypoteser. Det er uansett bedre forklaringer enn "gud gjorde det".

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar

Det er ikke mange her som har tilstrekkelig inngående kjennskap til biokjemi til å kommentere det spesifikke i åpningsposten. Jeg tipper TS heller ikke har det.

Det man dog kan spørre seg, er: hvorfor er denne artikkelen kun postet på et kreasjonistnettsted, og ikke gjennom anerkjente vitenskapelige kanaler? Det sannsynlige svaret er at artikkelforfatteren allerede er klar over at artikkelen ikke ville passert peer-review, og velger heller å "preke for koret". Det bør allerede her lyse rødt i samtlige varsellamper.

Den åpenbare biasen i artikkelen avsløres videre når forfatteren blander sammen abiogenese og evolusjonsteori - noe som langt på vei viser at forfatteren har et ideologisk grunnlag for artikkelen. Såvidt jeg har avdekket, har ikke denne Dominic Statham noensinne publisert noe i ekte vitenskapelige tidsskrifter. Det kan ha noe med at han ikke har noen vitenskapelig kredibilitet overhode.

"Finally, the reader is encouraged to hold fast to the Bible as the true revelation of God, his creation and his dealings with mankind." (Evolution - Good Science?).

Denne mannen er en religiøst motivert ideolog, intet annet.

Ellers er det en rimelig åpenbar God-of-the-Gaps-tilnærming, ikledd vitenskapelig låtende sjargong. Det er ikke så mye å diskutere her som ikke allerede har blitt tatt i de andre tallrike trådene om kreasjonisme.

--La oss holde diskusjonen på et seriøst nivå. Hva med å imøtegå artikkelens innhold, heller enn å synse om mannens motivasjon? Dette er en typisk avledningsmanøver fra en som ikke har saklige argumenter.

Dessuten: Kan du garantere at Hawkins ikke har ideologiske motiv for sin forskning? -Tviler på det...

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar

Som sagt, det er neppe noen her som har inngående kjennskaper til biokjemi og molekylærbiologi, og jeg tipper du neppe har det heller. Dermed er det mensingsløst å kommentere åpningsposten.

Og som sagt, det at dette er en nettartikkel / publisert gjennom kreasjonistkanaler fremfor publisert i Science, Nature, eller andre vitenskapelige etterrettlige journaler, er en meget stor indikator på at forfatteren selv vet at artikkel aldri i verden ville bestått peer review.

Å kommentere beveggrunnlaget til artikkelforfatteren, er aldeles ikke useriøst - motiver for å skrive emosjonelt ladd litteratur, som denne Statham gjør, er absolutt relevant.

Ellers opptrer du fortsatt kokett. Motivene dine for disse trådene er åpenbare, og posten din over er karakteristisk for et nettroll.

Endret av Distressor
  • Liker 9
Lenke til kommentar

Jeg vet ikke. For meg er det et åpent spørsmål. Jeg synes heller ikke det er så jævli nøye om det er Gud eller tilfeldigheter som har skapt oss. Spiller ingen rolle for meg dette

Er det likegyldig for deg om det er en mening med at du eksisterer eller ikke? Ha en fin dag!
Lenke til kommentar
Er det likegyldig for deg om det er en mening med at du eksisterer eller ikke? Ha en fin dag!

Typisk religiøs holdning. Hvorfor åpner du første innlegg med å påpeke at du ikke er kristen selv? Skal det liksom øke troverdigheten til det dårlige kristenreligiøse bortforklaringsforsøket? Greit nok at det 8. budet bare gjelder "om din neste", men når du skriver slik så øker det ikke akkurat troverdigheten din.

Endret av Simen1
  • Liker 4
Lenke til kommentar

Her we go again :hrm:

post-143694-0-54222500-1362909663_thumb.gif

Vel - det er svært mange facts som taler mot utviklingslæren. Hva med " Irreducible Complexity"-

"Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority. There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, speciality journals, or book—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. There are assertions that such evolution occurred, but absolutely none are supported by pertinent experiments or calculations. Since no one knows molecular evolution by direct experience, and since there is no authority on which to base claims of knowledge, it can truly be said that—like the contention that the Eagles will win the Super Bowl this year—the assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster." - Michael J. Behe, Darwin’s Black Box (New York: The Free Press, 1996), p. 186[3] ."

Eller "The Cambrian Explosion" - http://www.discovery.org/a/2177

Lenke til kommentar

Litt vel ideolgisk fremstilling av vitenskapen der...

Eh.

Nei.

Det er essensen av det vi kaller vitenskap.

Det er stort sett religiøse / konservative (/ løgnaktige / uvitenskapelige / betalte) menn som utgir seg for å drive med vitenskap som trekker standarden ned -- men disse blir for det meste tvunget til å drive i sine egne uvitenskapelige kretser, og blir typisk sett publisert i religiøse og uvitenskapelige / uhøytidelige tidsskrifter.

Som likevel gir dem innflytelse på menneskers forståelse av verden fordi resultatene deres er interessante for mennesker som ikke vet at det ikke er vitenskapelig.

Endret av Red Frostraven
Lenke til kommentar

At vi skulle ønske at noe er sant har absolutt ingenting å si for om det er sant eller ikke.

Det er elendig logikk å konkluderer med at noe er sant fordi man ønsker at det er sant (religion), i stedet for å lete etter, finne og akseptere sannheten uansett hva sannheten er (vitenskap).

Endret av Red Frostraven
  • Liker 4
Lenke til kommentar

Det er rimelig ironisk at forfatteren tidlig konkluderer med at "Hawkings jukser med sannsynligheter", når hele denne artikkelen er nettopp det. Han forklarer først at noen vinne lotteriet, noe som må være en hensiktsmessig misforståelse av Hawkings poeng. Han forklarer dermed kort at det finnes andre typer lotteri hvor dette ikke er sant, men at siden noen vinner hver uke er sannsynligheten enda veldig høy for at noen vinner. Ja -- Det stemmer. For dette var jo akkurat det Hawkings sa; Sannsynligheten for å vinne er svært lav, mens sannsynligheten for at noen vinner er svært høy.

Allerede her synker troverdigheten til artikkelforfatteren mot null. Enten er han stokk dum, eller så prøver han bevisst å manipulere leserne fremfor å informere. Slik artikkelen fremstår er kanskje en blanding mest sannsynlig.

For å utbrodere Hawkings eksempel litt. I vanlig norsk lotto trenger du 7 rette for å vinne førstepremien. Disse blir trukket av 34 forskjellige tall. Dette gir 5379616 forskjellige vinnerrekker, så det er 1 i 5379616 dels sjanse for at man vinner. Dette har vært sammenliknet med å ta toget fra Oslo til Trondheim, hvor man kaster en tennisball ut av vinduet ved et tilfeldig punkt, og treffer en bøtte som er tilfeldig plassert langs strekningen. Uansett hvor riktig akkurat denne sammenlikningen er, så kan ma kalle det nesten umulig å vinne i lotto....Likevel skjer det nesten ved hver trekning.

Nå er ikke vinnersjansene i lotto i nærheten av de tallene artikkelforfatteren disker opp med. Men her snakker vi om svært usikre tall, som bare blir mer usikre dess mer han regner med de. Men hei, flott "juksing med sannsynligheter".

• Liker 6
Lenke til kommentar

Argument from ignorance. "Jeg forstår ikke hvordan dette kan fungere, derfor vet jeg nøyaktig hvordan dette ble til".

Det eneste du kan si hvis du kan peke på noe som du ikke kan forstå, er at du ikke forstår det.

Det vi vet, er at livet eksisterer. Og at evolusjon er det som har ført til artsmangfoldet. Hvordan livet ble til, vet vi ikke. Og vil kanskje aldri vite, siden alle bevisene fra den tiden kanskje ikke eksisterer lenger. Men vi vil kanskje klare å vise hvordan livet kunne ha oppstått.

Hvis du vil peke på et intelligent vesen som ansvarlig for at livet begynte å eksistere på Jorden, så hadde det vært fint om det lå noe mer til grunn for det, enn "Hæ?".

Guds eksistens har ingenting å gjøre med om det finnes mening med vår eksistens eller ikke.

Lenke til kommentar

Litt vel ideolgisk fremstilling av vitenskapen der...

Ok, i dag var dagen da fakta ble det samme som ideologi.

--La oss holde diskusjonen på et seriøst nivå. Hva med å imøtegå artikkelens innhold, heller enn å synse om mannens motivasjon? Dette er en typisk avledningsmanøver fra en som ikke har saklige argumenter.

Dessuten: Kan du garantere at Hawkins ikke har ideologiske motiv for sin forskning? -Tviler på det...

u mad? har aldri sett ett så ryddig og saklig svar fra noen før tror jeg. Greit nok at du ikke klarer å være ærlig med deg selv pga din sterke blindende tro, men ikke forvent at andre som leser det vil gjøre annet enn å riste på hodet. :)

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...