Gå til innhold

Et sjult maleri viser seg.

Anbefalte innlegg

Fant en artikkel om en interessang mod som gir deg høyere oppløsning i diverse spill kjørt i infinity motoren bla Planescape Torment og Baldurs gate. Har sakset artikkelen inn hit og lagt ved bildene fra artikkelen. Håper flere enn meg blir fristet til å ta frem noen gamle perler, mimre litt og kanskje se spillene på nytt med et annet øye :)

Planescape Landscapes

Written by Alec Meer on May 29, 2008 at 3:42 pm.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/05/29...ape-landscapes/

“What can change the nature of a classic RPG?” Answer - a resolution-tweaking mod.

A couple of you have previously pointed out The Gibberlings Three’s marvellous Infinity Engine res hack in our comments, but though I cooed with interest and immediately saved it to my bookmarks (three times, it appears), I’ve not had a chance to take a look until now. Yesterday, though, was Finally Replaying Planescape Torment day for me, and word of a resolution-raising tool that saved this incomparable tale of destiny, identity and tragedy from pixels-the-size-of-fists graphic-o-horror excited me enormously.

Turns out it’s a thing of beauty.

post-58-1098024429_thumb.jpg

It’s a mod that’s superficially a wholly aesthetic tweak, but in fact it changes the entire game to a fairly profound degree. The standard compliment and criticism for Planescape is that it’s essentially a novel hiding in games’ clothing. Mostly that’s because of its wonderfully ridiculous slew of text, but partly it’s because, on a technological level, it’s an ugly game. Bear with me before you get angry about that. The blurry pixelisation is one thing, but the greater problem is how little of the world you see - just narrow, blocky slices of screen, each offering only the vaguest sense of where you were. That ever-overflowing text box thus became the player’s focus, and the lavish artwork underneath it so often overlooked.

post-19-1098024700_thumb.jpg

Playing PST at 1680×1050 thanks to this mod - the pixels not stretched, but rather the game world expanded, a vast amount more of it now visible at any one time - I’m constantly struck by how beautiful it is. It seems less a thing of pixels now, and more like the vast painting it was created as. Particularly, the cursed, sinister city of Sigil is no longer a collection of short, dingy alleyways and squat, disconnected buildings, but this grand expanse of gothic metropolis - bustling with NPC life, sprawling and darkly gorgeous.

post-108-1098024883_thumb.jpg

I get the sense this is Planescape as it was intended to look. It’s a different game for it, and now I stop to stare at the world as much as I do the elegiac prose. Unfortunately, the increased resolution does make said prose (and much of the UI) squinty-small, but I’m more than happy to make do. Oblivion, NWN2, The Witcher - losers in the 2D vs 3D RPG war. Give me this any day.

post-108-1098028002_thumb.jpg

The Widescreen Mod (something of a misnomer, as it can do full-frame tweakery too) also works with both Baldur’s Gates and Icewind Dales. Changing the resolution seems like such a minor thing, but the degree to which it transforms these graphically-hamstrung games into sharp, presentable modernity is genuinely astonishing.

post-108-1098025907_thumb.jpg

Widescreen Mod:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

The Widescreen Mod allows Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter and Icewind Dale II to be played at previously unsupported resolutions, like those of widescreen monitors. The project is currently an open beta, and only some engine variants are supported, those these will expand in future releases.

Any resolution is supported, provided that its X axis is greater or equal than 800 and the Y axis is greater or equal to 600 . Fullscreen works for any resolution supported by your graphic card, driver and screen. Otherwise, you can play the game windowed (except in TotSC and Ps:T, where you can't play the game windowed).

Support for SoA is only theoretical - I don't have plain SoA installed. All games version should work, if you are running the latest game patch.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
Stilig! Er det forøvrig noe sted man får tak i Planescape Torment nå? Har lett etter det i flere år.....
... internett?

Jeg betaler ikke 35 pund (+toll) for et brukt eksemplar av et 10 år gammelt spill. Det er latterlig. Om man vil ha et nytt eksemplar, så må man vel betale enda mer. :angry:

Mulig man finner et brukt eksemplar på ebay til en ok pris om man er heldig.... men jeg vil ha det nytt!

Lenke til kommentar

Har jo alle disse gamle spillene liggende hjemme hos mine foreldre i esker..

Bg1, 2, planescape, icewind dale 1,2 osv. (tror jeg har alt orginalt med tilleggspakker). Kunne kanskje vært gøy og prøvd dem ut igjen. Begynner vel og bli en 10-15 år siden sist :p.

Men støtter denne modden 1920x1200?

Lenke til kommentar

Testet modden nå og er strålende fornøyd, eneste grunnen til at jeg ikke har tatt opp igjen dette spillet har vært oppløsningen faktisk. Gjennoppdager spillets ekstremt originale (og fremmede) setting, hoverperson, samt en dybde som ingen andre kommer i nærheten av.

Synes faktisk det er det beste rpg jeg noensinne har spilt og tviler på at jeg noensinne vil oppleve noe lignende (selv om andre black isle/bioware spill er fantastiske de også)

Anbefaler det sterkt til de som ikke har prøvd, spesielt fordi grafikken faktisk holder seg veldig godt med denne modden

Lenke til kommentar
  • 2 uker senere...

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...