Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

I've been rather busy with work, spamming other threads on the forum and keeping my vast intellect from descending into catastrophical madness which would end in the total obliteration of humankind.

But other than that, I've been good.

Same old, same old, I see? :wee:

A proper good morning to you all!

Hope you've all had a wonderful weekend :)

I had an ok weekend. "Didn't do notin at all" :p

Lenke til kommentar
  • 2 uker senere...
Gjest medlem-1432

And a welcome to the new member :) I see you are canadian, then English is you'r real language which you talk and write daily? and are you learning norwegian all by your self?

It's been really quiet here lately yes..

Lenke til kommentar

And a welcome to the new member :) I see you are canadian, then English is you'r real language which you talk and write daily? and are you learning norwegian all by your self?

It has, indeed :hmm:

Who is ths new Canadian?

Endret av 2ball(s)
Lenke til kommentar

I most admit it's been a while since I've been using this tread now. Can by the way boast that i em now a student at Bodø University where i take a english lesson that is specified to the engineer profession. Tough, i only take scientific subject such as R1, R2 and FY1 mathematic because i never took em at the upper secondary school.

So you can say that it's to step forward and one step back.. :p

Endret av ole_marius
Lenke til kommentar

It has, indeed :hmm:

Who is ths new Canadian?

Any amerikaners out there like myself? Lived in det gamle lancet for awhile and miss it. Sorry for typos. anybody from lillestrom?

Lenke til kommentar

I figure this thread is a good place to leave this: Uncleftish Beholding. It's a short text on atomic theory written almost exclusively in words of Anglo-Saxon origin. Many of the neologisms formed from older English words that have since been replaced bear a striking resemblance to Norwegian. Some examples:

- "Tale" for number.

- "Lading" for charge.

- "Fastsets" for "determines".

- "Sourstuff" for oxygen (compare "surstoff").

- "Bestands" for "consists".

A quote:

With enough strength, lightweight unclefts can be made to togethermelt. In the sun, through a row of strikings and lightrottings, four unclefts of waterstuff in this wise become one of sunstuff. Again some weight is lost as work, and again this is greatly big when set beside the work gotten from a minglingish doing such as fire.

If not for the influence of Latin and Greek, a lot of broken English from the mouths of Norwegians would probably be valid. It's our own fault, too: the Norman invasion set off the whole chain of events.

Endret av Me sjøl
Lenke til kommentar

If not for the influence of Latin and Greek, a lot of broken English from the mouths of Norwegians would probably be valid. It's our own fault, too: the Norman invasion set off the whole chain of events.

English is hugely influenced by the old norse languages. As an american I found norwegian to be infinitely easier to learn than the so-called romantic languages or german.

This is also true in america. Where I live today in Cincinnati Ohio the linguistic remnants of the huge german-american immigrant population that existed for many years still persists, much to the ignorance of its inhabitants.

Cincinnati has the worlds 2nd largest Oktoberfest, slightly behind Munic.

17de Mai in Decorah Iowa is huge too and local dialects are laced with norwegian american remnants.

Don't know if anyone is interested in immigrant american dialects, though I find norwegians often language obsessed.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...