Gå til innhold

Snart Windows for AMD64/EM64T

Anbefalte innlegg

• 1 måned senere...
Videoannonse
Annonse

Utviklingen av Windows x64 går raskt fremover for tiden, og Microsoft slapp nylig Release Candidate 2 og det forventes nå at endelig versjon kommer i slutten av Mars:

Microsoft Ships Near-Final Versions of Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows 2003 x64 Edition, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Yesterday, Microsoft finalized the Release Candidate 2 (RC2) code for three products: Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows 2003 x64 Edition, and XP Pro x64 Edition. Each of these RC builds includes performance, stability, and security enhancements when compared with previous builds, as well as minor feature changes, Microsoft tells me.

Windows 2003 SP1 RC2 is now available as a public download, but the two x64 products are available only to beta testers for now. All three products are expected to ship in final form by late March.

The x64 versions of Windows 2003 and XP Pro are designed to run on PC and server systems based on AMD64 and Intel's Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T) microprocessors, which combine the compatibility of the 32-bit x86 platform with the advanced memory capabilities of 64-bit systems.

To help auger in the new era of x64 hardware, Microsoft will begin accepting submissions for the Windows 2003 x64 and XP x64 "Designed for Windows" logo program. The company would like device makers and PC makers to qualify their products for the logo so that customers can identify which products will work with the new systems.

Lenke til kommentar
  • 1 måned senere...

Microsoft har stoppet betatestingen av Windows XP x64, og fullversjon er nå endelig klar:

Windows XP 64 goes gold

Microsoft has released the final version of Windows XP 64 to manufacturing, meaning that those with machines that have 64-32 bit processors in from AMD and latterly Intel can now see what the extra addressing brings to the party.

No doubt people can also look forward to future service pack releases from Microsoft, but we mustn't be too churlish about this, even though the OS is long delayed. Only the most absurdly cynical would suggest that it's been delayed because Intel was hurriedly racing to catch up and make its chips similar enough to AMD64 processors to run the OS.

Despite this, Microsoft has plumped for the Opteron and already uses the AMD processor to run some of its own inhouse systems. Microsoft was always a big fan of the Alpha chip.

Both Intel and AMD believe that 64-32 processors are the way to go, although Chipzilla was slow to convert to the idea. It has accomplished its volte face by putting its Itanium processor into a niche and hopes that it will topple RISC chips from the enterprise space.

But, and let's face this head on, the Itanium was originally supposed to be a microprocessor that would displace the IA32 architecture and end up on the desktop. Instead, 10 years after its inception, the Itanium microprocessor is now supposed to be the Big Tin killer. The gold download is available to MSDN subscribers.

:thumbup:

Endret av snorreh
Lenke til kommentar

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Lim inn uten formatering i stedet

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

Laster...
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...