Gå til innhold

Innlegg.no: General discussion in English

Laland

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

I think it is very nice whit a thread(?) in just english. so we can practise our english.

of course i see now that my english tekst are much worse than when i was on school, but maybe this thread(?) can help me a little bit.

it was a very good idea laland. tank you. ;)

Lenke til kommentar
I think it is very nice whit a thread(?) in just english. so we can practise our english.

of course i see now that my english tekst are much worse than when i was on school, but maybe this thread(?) can help me a little bit.

Remember that you can add a English spelling check through firefox addons ;) . Google chrome has spelling check too, and you don't need addons.

Lenke til kommentar

Remember that you can add a English spelling check through firefox addons ;) . Google chrome has spelling check too, and you don't need addons.

Oh, whats the name of the addon?

Opera Turbo?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=opera+turbo

Lenke til kommentar
I read all of the books in the Lord of the Rings-series in English when I was twelve. :p

Silmarrillion, the Hobbit, etc.. But I grew up with an English-speaking mother, so I got both languages all the time.

You read Silmarillion in English when you were twelve, WOW. :o I tried reading it at the age of 14 but coldn't understand half of it. Not until I was 17, but even then it took me 2 whole months to finish. That's the most time I've ever spent one one book.

Lenke til kommentar
I read all of the books in the Lord of the Rings-series in English when I was twelve. :p

Silmarrillion, the Hobbit, etc.. But I grew up with an English-speaking mother, so I got both languages all the time.

You read Silmarillion in English when you were twelve, WOW. :o I tried reading it at the age of 14 but coldn't understand half of it. Not until I was 17, but even then it took me 2 whole months to finish. That's the most time I've ever spent one one book.

I finished reading all of the books regarding Tolkiens Legendarium in english 2 months ago. (Minus HoMe because its so damn expensive). I read the silmarillion in about 2 weeks, and I read the children of Hurin in 4 hours (Which is the best book of them all in my opinion, even better than LotR).

Quite the collection I must say. Tolkien is a genius.

Endret av Vaine
Lenke til kommentar

I tried to read Silmarillion when I was twelve too (in norwegian though,) but I gave up because, well, I didn't understand much. I thought it was an epic story like Lotr or The Hobbit, but it seems I was wrong.

By the way, could someone please tell me what "Children of Hurin" is about, and does Silmarillion get any "better"*? :)

* What's in my opinion better, I prefer books like Lotr rather than books about creation :blink:

Edit:

Two games where you may get a bigger english vocabulary:

Draw my thing - Personally I really like this game! In most cases you won't learn too many words, but some new ones pop up from time to time.

Fowl Words - This is a game where you try to make as many words as possible from seven different letters.

Oh, if I have written anything wrong, please tell me!

Endret av Error
Lenke til kommentar
I tried to read Silmarillion when I was twelve too (in norwegian though,) but I gave up because, well, I didn't understand much. I thought it was an epic story like Lotr or The Hobbit, but it seems I was wrong.

By the way, could someone please tell me what "Children of Hurin" is about, and does Silmarillion get any "better"*? :)

* What's in my opinion better, I prefer books like Lotr rather than books about creation :blink:

Edit:

Two games where you may get a bigger english vocabulary:

Draw my thing - Personally I really like this game! In most cases you won't learn too many words, but some new ones pop up from time to time.

Fowl Words - This is a game where you try to make as many words as possible from seven different letters.

Oh, if I have written anything wrong, please tell me!

The Children of Hurin is a story that is partially written down in the Silmarillion, which Christopher Tolkien later edited and released in its fullness, within two bookcovers of its own.

The plot is about Turin, and Nienor (The children of Hurin) and their personal story and troubles. The thing about this spesific book is how incredibly well written it is, and at the same time really easy to read, while maintaining a deep and intriquing plot, and in my honest opinion, some of the saddest parts of the whole legendarium are laid out in this book. That might not be interesting for all to read about, but when you look back at such things as the end of the lord of the rings, and see just how proper Tolkien is when explaining emotions and sadness in general, the children of hurin is a book not to be left unread. :)

It's basically a tragic story about THE anti-hero.

Does the silmarillion get any better?

In short: Hell YES.

The Ainulindalë (The creation) is just the first part of the book, a short part at that.

The rest of the book is massive, and tells the story of the first Elves and Men of middle earth's fight against the first dark lord, Morgoth, in the country of Beleriand. The major obstacle in the book are the many names of the peoples and places of the story, if you can get past that, you should really read the Silmarillion.

Endret av Vaine
Lenke til kommentar

Thank you for taking your time to inform me!:)

I will definitely read Children of Hurin, and I will probably try to read Silmarillion once more (in English this time.)

By the way, remembering names is something I've been getting much better to after reading The Wheel of Time series, if you've read them, you know what I'm talking about!

Lenke til kommentar
Thank you for taking your time to inform me!:)

I will definitely read Children of Hurin, and I will probably try to read Silmarillion once more (in English this time.)

By the way, remembering names is something I've been getting much better to after reading The Wheel of Time series, if you've read them, you know what I'm talking about!

Sadly, I havent read the Wheel of Time series.

I strongly recommend you finish reading the silmarillion before you read the children of hurin, despite the fact that it can be hard and, I'm ashamed to admit, boring to read at times. It just provides so much backstory information that reading the Children of Hurin afterwards becomes a much better experience ;)

Lenke til kommentar

Excuse me. I would like to be an annoying expert. Like a herd of flies sweeping majestically through your nose.

"As the topic says. English talking only!"

The right sentence is:

As the topic says. English talk only!

Bombs away!

Endret av ErlendA
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...