Gå til innhold

Socket 939 Athlon 64 i rute

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Tipper grunnen er at dersom A64 skal "erstatte" XP, så må den ned på XP priser, majoriteten av AMD's kunder vil neppe betale $200 for en prosessor som er 10-20% kjappere enn en $100 prosessor og AMD vil neppe selge en 193nm 0.13micron CPU til under hundre dollar.

Kutt cache, få opp yeild og antall CPUer pr wafer, logisk nok.

Lenke til kommentar

Bra det ikke blir ytterligere forsinkelser som jeg hadde fryktet :yes:

Foruten dobbelt så mye cache som Athlon 64 for sokkel 939, så vil også multiplikatoren på Athlon 64 FX for sokkel 939 være ulåst og det vil nok gjøre den mer attraktiv for entusiastene vil jeg tro.

La meg også legge til at VIAs kommende K8T800 Pro-brikkesett for sokkel 754 og sokkel 939 vil ha PCI/AGP-lås:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14344

"...VIA's K8T800 PRO will be enable you to fix AGP and PCI values. This means that your PCI and AGP devices won't be over-overclocked."

Noe å glede seg til altså :thumbup:

Endret av snorreh
Lenke til kommentar

Hmm.

Det at digitimes sier at den får 256kb cache er ikke ensbetydende med at den får det.

Det med å få ned prisen, ifølge Johan " When AMD moves to 90nm (0.09-micron) technology this autumn, the corresponding die shrink will bring the die size of the Athlon 64 down to about 120 mm²." http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000315

Det er altså med 1MB cache.

Og, ifølge amdzone

"A number of you have written in about this Digitimes story on Newcastle. They claim the L2 cache will be 256KB, but AMD has told me it has the same features as the Athlon 64 3000+."

Endret av b0nna
Lenke til kommentar
Ok, hva vil doble minnekanaler bety i ytelse i praksis?

Ved å sammenligne Athlon 64 3400+ som ikke støtter doble minnekanaler ('dual-channel') med Athlon 64 FX-51 som støtter doble minnekanaler så får man et greit bilde av hvilke ytelsesforskjeller det er i praksis ettersom begge kjører på samme klokkefrekvens (2.2GHz):

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1946

"In gaming applications, all of the Athlon64 family processors top our gaming benchmarks and the 3400+ is the top performing Athlon64 Socket 754 chip. The Athlon64 FX51 is still the fastest processor, as expected, but in many cases, the 3400+ comes very close to the FX CPU. In computing intensive applications like Workstation Graphics, Media Encoding, and some of the most demanding games, the Dual-Channel FX chip shows its superiority. However, for most users, the 3400+ will give them all they could want in a processor - for about 40% less than the FX51."

Endret av snorreh
Lenke til kommentar
Ok, hva vil doble minnekanaler bety i ytelse i praksis?

Ved å sammenligne Athlon 64 3400+ som ikke støtter doble minnekanaler ('dual-channel') med Athlon 64 FX-51 som støtter doble minnekanaler så får man et greit bilde av hvilke ytelsesforskjeller det er i praksis ettersom begge kjører på samme klokkefrekvens (2.2GHz):

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1946

"In gaming applications, all of the Athlon64 family processors top our gaming benchmarks and the 3400+ is the top performing Athlon64 Socket 754 chip. The Athlon64 FX51 is still the fastest processor, as expected, but in many cases, the 3400+ comes very close to the FX CPU. In computing intensive applications like Workstation Graphics, Media Encoding, and some of the most demanding games, the Dual-Channel FX chip shows its superiority. However, for most users, the 3400+ will give them all they could want in a processor - for about 40% less than the FX51."

Husk at dagens 64 FX bruker registrert minne, som senker ytelsen.

Lenke til kommentar

Ja, Athlon 64 for sokkel 939 skal ha 512KB L2 cache. De var tydeligvis feilinformert vedrørende 256KB L2 cache, så det var bra de rettet opp feilen :)

Husk at dagens 64 FX bruker registrert minne, som senker ytelsen.

Ja, men i praksis er det faktisk ikke store ytelsesforskjellen mellom standard (ubufret) minne og registert minne:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/reg_ddr/2.shtml

"...it (registered memory) has the disadvantage of inserting an additional wait state into the signaling scheme. In short, instead of trying to squeeze the signals into the same clock cycle, the register waits with the output until the next rising clock edge. This way, there is no skew at all, and a single clock cycle delay on the address and command bus is something that only comes into play in a random access situation, where no pipelined outputs are under way simultaneously. The latter would be able to mask some of the initial access latencies.

In terms of application-specific performance, this means that there will be applications that will see no difference at all, as long as streaming data transfers are dominating. There will be other applications that will show a more pronounced performance hit, anything using more random data accesses or else a high amount of writes amongst the transfers will sacrifice more performance. In other words, there is no rule of thumb, the performance hit will need to be evaluated on a case-by case basis.

On the other hand, the more precisely controlled signals may allow to compensate for clock skew as it naturally occurs as a function of load in higher density system memory configurations. Therefore, it may be possible to run at tighter memory latencies by sacrificing this one single access latency cycle. All in all, yes, there is a drawback to Registered DIMMs but there are hidden benefits as well, so what it comes down to is weighing one issue against the others and taking the lesser evil or best of two worlds depending on the point of view."

Lenke til kommentar

Nvidias kommende Nforce3 250-brikkesett for sokkel 754, sokkel 939 og sokkel 940 vil også ha PCI/AGP-lås:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14396

"...Nforce 3 250 motherboard chipset will be introduced on the 1st of March."

"This chip will be able to have its AGP and PCI fixed that will help in overclocking and it will bring Gbit LAN and serial ATA."

:thumbup:

Endret av snorreh
Lenke til kommentar

Anandtech har oppdatert informasjon om når prosessorer for sokkel 939 vil bli tilgjengelig:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1985

Athlon 64 for sokkel 939 vil også få en ny PR-rating i forhold til Athlon 64 for sokkel 754:

According to the roadmaps, the Athlon 64 3700+ on Socket 939 has been renamed to Athlon 64 3800+. Athlon 64 3400+ has been renamed to Athlon 64 3500+. Notice these changes are effective on the Socket 939 platform only. "The innuendo is that equivalently clocked Athlon 64s will perform better on Socket 939".

:thumbup:

Endret av snorreh
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...