Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

I'm quite fond of warm weather, don't get me wrong, but there's a thing as too much of the good stuff. Having chocolate for dinner would be awesome, but chocolate for a meal five days in a row is too much. As with the temperature, I'm fond of the Norwegian heat, even if it lasts 3-4 weeks in a row. But 2 weeks of the temperatures in southern europe is... deadly...

I hate heat! :mad:

It should be colder so that no immigrants want to come here

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

I like you :wee:

So what have the good people been up to today?

I've just finished an huor of lazying on the couch listening to classical and opera :cool:

My musical taste is bit odd for somone my age and I can safely say it's a quite diverse as well.

I have completed 1 out my 11 mock exams, currently studying for paper 2 in maths now. Can't wait to be done on Wednesday next week.

I hate heat! :mad:

It should be colder so that no immigrants want to come here

I hate the cold. Wouldn't mind living some place where it is nice and warm all year round.

Lenke til kommentar

I wish it was varmer in Norway. But we have others privileges we have to appreciate. Warmer countries is marked by more bad infrastructure. Countries where the civilization and infrastructure is well, has a more cold climate. There is the main climate features in the world. In cold countries it is a clear limit how many people who could live there.

In conclution I'm happy to live here, with changes between the seasons. Personally I love summer. I could have it the year around. I get never enough of it! I became gladly if someone correct my mistakes, and I think that it is a good point to write here - you learn more english.

Endret av Ituca
Lenke til kommentar

The obvious solution:

Two to three weeks after autumn equinox one packs the bags and flies to New Zealand.

Two to three weeks after autumn equinox one packs the bags and flies to Norway.

Two to three...

---and so on...

We call them snowbirds here in midwestern USA, they fly south to Florida/Texas/Arizona for th winter months and migrate back in march for glorious springs. They are mostly retirees and they do this until their health fails them and then they have to stay near close family.

I always thought norwegians did the same, only to spain instead of florida. Perhaps that has changed. Getting old in ice cold norway must be awful if not outright dangerous. Osteoporosis and slick ice are bad combinations.

My parents moved in the middle to North Carolina, a climate a little in between. Hot summers but otherwise moderate weather with little or no snow. My dad visited norway once and liked it, except for its politics.

I am taking my family this august to London, Paris and Oslo since my 9 year old knows a few norwegian words but no norwegians. Having an interest in norway at age 9-15 makes you a nerd and subjects you to mobbing. I would like for her to see what I have been talking about. My older daughter's name is Kirsten and she was mistaken to be norwegian last visit to Oslo. Mostly though I am going to visit my old friends who are 88 years old. I will probably not have a chance to see them again.

I love Norway in many ways but I do have my criticisms. They are mostly criticisms of lack of deeper understanding of american culture and politics. Americans in general are much less informed of european nations but unlike europeans, we are not bombarded by your culture or daily shallow oversimplifications presented in your media like you are us. As we say, a little knowledge is dangerous.

For a test, how many times have you heard someone say americans are intelligent compared to examples of idiocy?

Lenke til kommentar

For a test, how many times have you heard someone say americans are intelligent compared to examples of idiocy?

Since you ask: Only when discussing technical topics with my brother, and only referring to specific individuals (such as Henry Ford, Samuel Morse, ...). (He is bright enough to know that only individuals can be intelligent, never groups.)

My impression of this problem is that people don't realise how lucky Norway has been, and they therefore don't stop to consider the realities of life outside their own litte bubble. In "normal" countries, people tend to cease being naive as they pass an age of, say, 25 or so: In Norway people still believe in fairy tales as they are wheeled into the old age homes...

And a major part of the cause of this, is a severely lacking educational foundation in history, combined with a general message that education is something the parents should leave to the schools; hence, as a consequence, very few people homeschool, or check their children's progress and knowledge.

You were also writing:

I am taking my family this august to London, Paris and Oslo since my 9 year old knows a few norwegian words but no norwegians. Having an interest in norway at age 9-15 makes you a nerd and subjects you to mobbing. I would like for her to see what I have been talking about. My older daughter's name is Kirsten and she was mistaken to be norwegian last visit to Oslo. Mostly though I am going to visit my old friends who are 88 years old. I will probably not have a chance to see them again.

Welcome to Norway!

One other point:

We call them snowbirds here in midwestern USA, they fly south to Florida/Texas/Arizona for th winter months and migrate back in march for glorious springs. They are mostly retirees and they do this until their health fails them and then they have to stay near close family.

I always thought norwegians did the same, only to spain instead of florida.

Many older people do this - we started the habit in the sixties, and now we are actually considering organising old age homes in Southern Spain, specifically for Norwegians, and staffed with Norwegian-speaking orderlies and nurses.

Lenke til kommentar

Travelling a lot, do you Yvonne? I have only been to Spain, once.:p

Depends on what you mean by that. I guess I do, I love travelling.

Why travel to another country, when the only thought in your head will be "damn, I miss Norway". Foreign countries haven't got a single point of interest that is better than Norway.

But I don't, and that's the point. I love England and UK, and I feel home whenever I'm there. Either way, I like to explore new and exciting cultures, I love to lay on a beach somewhere just relaxing and I don't mind missing Norway somewhat, it just makes it more exciting.

Lenke til kommentar

What is an "American"? These days anyone can be an american, even bushmen from Africa.

According to me, a real american is Anglo saxon and nothing else.

You have a distorted vision of reality. An American is actually the Indians, as they were the original inhabitants of North America, until the European invaders came and drove them off. In fact, the Europeans are the hostile invaders who've taken over the Indians country. And guess what, they did this all in the name of religion. :tease:

But I don't, and that's the point. I love England and UK, and I feel home whenever I'm there. Either way, I like to explore new and exciting cultures, I love to lay on a beach somewhere just relaxing and I don't mind missing Norway somewhat, it just makes it more exciting.

Well, as the saying goes. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Everybody's different, and I shan't judge people on what they like.

Lenke til kommentar

You have a distorted vision of reality. An American is actually the Indians, as they were the original inhabitants of North America, until the European invaders came and drove them off. In fact, the Europeans are the hostile invaders who've taken over the Indians country. And guess what, they did this all in the name of religion;

Use of the word "indians" is very seldom used any more, especially since there are many indian-americans from the largest democracy in the world today that have immigrated here. Two of them are children of immigrants and are the elected governors of Louisiana and South Carolina. Hard to believe that there are leaders of states with equivalent populations to Norway that belong to an ethnic group with less than 1% of the total population.

Do you think there could be a Pakistani prime minister in norway's future? If so, would he/she be called "the pakistani prime minister of Norway", or could your leader be called a norwegian even if he/she has a different ethnic background? How many elected parliamentarians are of non-european descent?

Something to think about...

Well, as the saying goes. Whatever floats your boat. :)

Everybody's different, and I shan't judge people on what they like.

The most negative aspect of not traveling is how to avoid narrow mindedness that comes from experiencing only familiar things. A few studies have shown that more americans travel to europe than europeans travel to the USA and yet europeans can answer many more questions about the USA than the reverse. What this means, of course is that europeans get their information filtered, not first hand and can be more misinformed or at least have a more superficial understanding than those who experience things themselves.

One can argue however, whether a superficial understanding is better than no understanding...

Personally I wish everyone did a tour of duty internationally. The world would be a much better place, tror jeg.

Lenke til kommentar

Since you ask: Only when discussing technical topics with my brother, and only referring to specific individuals (such as Henry Ford, Samuel Morse, ...). (He is bright enough to know that only individuals can be intelligent, never groups.)

My impression of this problem is that people don't realise how lucky Norway has been, and they therefore don't stop to consider the realities of life outside their own litte bubble. In "normal" countries, people tend to cease being naive as they pass an age of, say, 25 or so: In Norway people still believe in fairy tales as they are wheeled into the old age homes...

Every nation has this problem, except that both Norway and the USA have been fed the myth of exceptionalism. The difference is that all adult americans have experienced some degree of disparate and uncomfortably dangerous situations, especially since there are many more dangerous places here, in addition to many more different types of people (poor, rich, white, brown, red, black...) A further issue is never being in the position of being a global leader and making difficult decisions full of complicated tradeoffs. One can be quite idealistic if one never is in the driver's seat.

And a major part of the cause of this, is a severely lacking educational foundation in history, combined with a general message that education is something the parents should leave to the schools; hence, as a consequence, very few people homeschool, or check their children's progress and knowledge.

Many have argued that relying on the state to take responsibility for too many things encourages laziness and irresponsibility.

Welcome to Norway!

Thank you, y'all are always so gjestfrie. My last trip was in 2002, so it has been awhile. Ever since I matriculated from Lillestroem Gymnas I have been in love with norwegian culture and its people.

Lenke til kommentar

No, I don't consider sami people to be scandinavians.

They have no right to live here.

The first people in scandinavia where the germanic people who settled in Denmark 50 000 years ago, our ancestors.

Sami people are indians who later walked over the ice into the north.

They are occuping our land and should be bannished therefrom.

Lenke til kommentar

Every nation has this problem, except that both Norway and the USA have been fed the myth of exceptionalism.

Norway's exceptionalism is, on the one hand, a geographical (and climatic) condition that made us an unattractive target for invasion, combined with a good deal of luck in the general run of history.

The USA, on the other hand, is a country that actually has some substance to its claim of exceptionalism. Obviously, I am talking of its foundational documents and history. The manner of its creation, as a group of cooperating states, each state electing its representatives, and the general process being done in the continuation of principles then founded in the british-origin common law, but later being determined to be universal principles closely related to the basic idea of the dignity and duties of the individual human being.

And then later, its process of making a more workable union, observing the wisdom of Montesquieu in dividing legislative, executive and judicial powers, and also having the wisdom to make legislation difficult to create. All in the interest of achieving what John Adams defined the republic as being: "An empire of laws, not men."

You mentioned the luxury of being a small country, and yes, in the psychological picture this is an element of the matter.

Many have argued that relying on the state to take responsibility for too many things

encourages laziness and irresponsibility.

Ain't that the truth! And yes, I am commenting both the "many" and the actual argument - they are both true!

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...