Gå til innhold

Overklokke i5 4670k

Anbefalte innlegg

Hei! Tenker nu på å overklokke min Intel i5 4670k prosessor. Har montert en Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo og observerer normal temperatur ved idle fra 25C - 30C. Ved gaming av BF4 (high/ultra) holder den seg stabilt ved omlag 50C. Jeg har aldri overklokket noe som helst før, så kan gjerne dra til meg noen tips og litt informasjon før jeg setter i gang. Er vel verdt å nevne at jeg har et Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H hovedkort.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

Det finnes en haug med filmer på youtube.

Når du starter pcen, trykk "delete" så kommer du inn i bios. Gå så på cpu frequenzy, der taster du inn antall ghz. 40=4.0ghz osv.

Du må også inn på linjen to steg nedenfor volt frequenzy å justere menden volt. Her tar du feks 1.2v. Da kan du sette cpu multiplier på 42 tenker jeg. Får du bsod gjør det på nytt med høyere volt.

Kort og dårlig forklart. Sett også minne på xmp profile 1 for å få benyttet maks hastigheten.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
First and foremost: Expect overclocking results to differ. We should all know by now that not every chip is created equal. With Haswell, this is more true than ever. I'm serious. Your motherboard isn't nearly as large of a factor as it used to be. It's almost all up to your luck with your CPU now. Expect a very wide variance in end results. It's a silicon lottery, folks.
  1. Set Uncore (AKA Ring Bus) to core ratio to manual. Set it to stock multiplier manually. With ring bus running on stock and locked at stock for now, no need to fiddle with ring bus voltage. That goes to auto. Some motherboards MAY increase Vring to unsafe levels if you didn't manually set ring bus to stock because the motherboard will try to auto-overclock the ring bus if left on auto. Avoid future headaches by following step 1.
  2. Set any XMP profile OFF for ram. If your ram is above 1600, set it to 1600, no higher while we're testing overclocks. Heck, if your ram is XMP'ed for 1600, lower it to non XMP. Doesn't hurt.
  3. Start ramping up the core multiplier and voltage until you think you've found your sweet spot. You might need to increase input voltage from the motherboard-set setting once you hit higher voltages. More on that later. Do stress test and if you pass, go to step 4. NOTE: Yes, you up the core multiplier by 1 each time. You can probably get away with starting at 4ghz though. Because the core clock is 100, 100 x 40 = 4000mhz or 4ghz.
  4. Now we fiddle with ram, higher ring bus/ring bus voltage in effort to get marginally better performance. Stress test. Do not raise ring bus or ram if it means lowering core clock for stability.
  5. If you are hardcore or have a lot of time on your hands, you can try adding clockstrap to the mix but I'd stay away from it unless you're super duper picky. Nobody has reported very good results with this but you're welcome to experiment.
  6. Set Cstates to ON to C7.
If you simply raise the multiplier on the core and change the voltage, you'll probably run into a bad overclock because the overclocked ring bus will hinder the core overclock. And they say it but it's true: Core is king. cheers.gif You'd generally rather have stock ring bus if that means getting 100mhz faster core clock. Same for ram of course... it's a tall order to hit DDR3 3000 with higher overclocks. I'm not 100% sure if you need to stop XMP profile for the ram speed if it's 1600. Personally I'd lower it to non-XMP. You can turn it back on when you've got you core clock set. If by some small chance the XMP is hindering the overclock however, you won't know if it's ram and probably won't think of ram as a possible cause. Box timings should be fine.
I've posted benchmarks under this section somewhere, which shows graphs proving ring bus settings to be of little consequence in benchmarks and applications. Keep in mind if you are adamant in overclocking the ring bus you also need to provide extra voltage to it. Your core clock should always be equal to or higher than your ring bus.
If you are using a high Vcore for your overclock, typically for the higher multipliers, input voltage may also be important. I'm talking about 1.30v and up. Info listed later in the guide.
OCing Common Sense
You up the vcore slowly. You don't go from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 to 1.4v just like that. Maybe you can start at 1.2, 1.25v but that really varies on the stress testing method. The problem with going straight to a higher voltage is, you may overvolt and use a setting that is less than optimal for stability (not proven) or temperature (obviously proven). Say you start OCing by going to x45 and using a whopping 1.45v straight up and it works. If you don't back down that voltage and you leave all that unnessary voltage about, you will not only cause more heat than you need to, you will decrease the longevity of the CPU for no good reason. At minimum I suggest going from 1.2 to 1.25 to 1.3 to 1.35 to 1.4. Any larger jump I think is completely useless for attaining a good, fine voltage.
When you plug in a higher voltage for the first time or use a stress test for a first time, eyeball the temperatures. You can go from 70C in x264 to 100C in Linpack quite easily and if you run off to make a sandwich, you risk hurting the CPU when you could've watched the temps for the first 10 seconds of the stress test and avoid this.

If x44 is stable, don't jump to x46, and then say it's not stable. And for the love of god, don't waste your time telling us x47 or x48 is unstable.
One Variable at a Time!
In a scientific study, you have a control group and an experimental group. Basically, you see the effect a change in a variable has on something. You do not change 50 things and then draw a conclusion that all 50 things contributed or caused the result. You change one variable at a time. If I overclock core and uncore at the same time and I crash, how will I know which caused the crash? I won't. There's nothing wrong with overclocking the uncore, but it's secondary because the performance change is less than a core overclock. That makes the core overclock the most important. So do the core overclock first until it's stable. That way, if you ever crash after overclocking uncore, you know for sure it's the uncore settings causing instability. This is yet another reason to follow this guide in this order.
"1:1 Cache Ratio"
In a perfect world we'd all be running 1:1 cache ratio, but we'd also be running 500 ghz overclocks and sipping iced tea on clouds. We don't live in that world. If you got a cherry picked unit, fine, you can hit 1:1. For the rest of us, you cannot, pure and simple. Say the highest core overclock you can get is 4.6ghz. If you try to bring your uncore also to 4.6ghz, very likely you've either 1) Crashed your system because the uncore OC makes the core OC unstable 2) Crashed because you lack sufficient Vring 3) Applied unsafe Vring. You can't get past the first issue. You'd rather have 4.6ghz core and stock uncore (3.4ghz is stock core and uncore for 4670k, 3.5ghz for 4770k) than 4.5 core and 4.5 uncore. So what the heck is this 1:1 Cache Ratio nonsense?
It's the idea that your ring bus helps your performance up until it is the same speed as your processor. But you should know by now that ring bus helps performance... by a super small margin. The amount is negligible. It's basically saying, if your ring bus is higher than your core speed, that extra ring bus isn't doing anything supposidly. But the entire point is useless as pretty much nobody can hit 1:1 in the first place, let alone get above 1:1. Let me make this crystal clear: 1:1 doesn't make your CPU magically faster. You don't get an extra boost for doing 1:1. It's the same boost from 1:0.9 to 1:0.95 as 1:0.95 to 1:1. The amount of performance gain from uncore is roughly the same no matter how close your uncore is to your core. All that jabber about "keeping uncore 200-300mhz below core" is simply misleading. There is no such bottleneck that occurs if it's lower which those people seem to imply, and I have hardcore benchmark after benchmark to back up my statement. You overclock core with uncore set to stock so it doesn't lower your max core overclock. Then you overclock uncore without ever lowering core to get a higher uncore. If it happens to be 200-300 mhz under your core, awesome. If not or you don't want to push an unsafe Vring, that's fine too. Overclocking Haswell is complicated as is, last thing we need is to mislead and confuse people with 1:1 ratios.
Voltage Parameters:
You will pretty much always be fine at 1.2v for core voltage provided you're not stressing on synthetics. Synthetics are things like Linpack, Prime95, Aida64. They are just that, synthetic tests, as are not actual real-world loads. Non-synthetic stress tests would be like chess or encoding a video with CPU only.
If you do want to stress I recommend Noctua D14 as a starting cooler. What happens if you have a 212 Evo from Coolermaster and you want better cooling? You now are stuck with a lower-end cooler.
At 1.35v or higher, x264 is the recommended stress testing method. Some question the validity of an overnight x264 loop for stability but so far no evidence has shown it is insufficient. Otherwise only high end closed loop or a custom loop should play at this setting. Haswell temperatures are very reliant on voltages, not frequency. Note that while I said, for example, that 1.35v requires a high end closed loop solution or better for Linpack stressing, that does not mean that's required for gaming/any other non-synthetic application. Only you can decide what sort of stability is acceptable to you. There is a chart of stress tests and the temperature it creates at a given setting later on for easy reference.
If you do a multiplier assuming it's stable and later get a Bsod or Bsod after later moving on to a higher multiplier, you might be tempted to blame the CPU or degradation when in fact it was your own insufficient testing in the first place.
Now why exactly did I list my recommendations about voltages this way? What matters in the end are two things when it comes to voltage safety: A) You do not hit above 95C under whatever you wish to stress and B) You do not exceed 1.45-1.5v no matter what. The thing is, most people run into the first problem long before they hit the second, because by 1.35v if you want to run Linpack, you're already getting dangerous temperatures on air. If you are using a custom loop with a delid though, the second problem might hit you first. Personally I am running 1.42v at 4.6ghz on D14 and the only reason why I can do so is because I'm not stressing with Prime or Linpack. However if my settings are stable then I can squeeze in that extra 100mhz because the max real-world loads will not anywhere near Linpack. But let me repeat this implied point: Simply saying "this voltage is too much" is typically insufficient. This voltage is too much doing this stress test with this cooling solution at these ambients.
Quick note on auto-overclocking: It will not be as efficient as manual. Do it manually. I wrote a guide. Use it. If you have MSI motherboard, OCGene will block manual overclocking. You need to click on the OCGenie button in the BIOS to stop that from happening. Lower end MSI boards may be voltage locked above a set amount, say 1.3v! Beware!
About Ring Bus aka Uncore aka Cache Ratio Tweaking:
The naming used differs between motherboard manufacturers. Keep in mind that Uncore is the same as Ring Bus, and is sometimes known as 'cache ratio'. Some boards have 'minimum' and 'maximum' cache ratio. Just set them to the same. Obviously, 'cache voltage' is 'ring bus voltage' or 'uncore voltage'. I would recommend that you stay under 1.3v for uncore voltage. Ring bus takes less voltage, don't just replicate it as if it were core clock. You are going to need to raise ring bus voltage if you plan on overclocking the ring bus significantly. If your ring bus is manually set to the default value, meaning it's not overclocked for sure, leave it at auto is typically fine, but you can set the uncore to 34 or 35 (doesn't matter) manually and then set uncore voltage to 1.2 so there is no way the motherboard can accidently overclock your uncore or use a super low uncore voltage by default. Try not to exceed 1.35v. I try to keep it at 1.3v or under personally. If you do not set ring bus to stock multiplier manually, some motherboards will try to overclock it on its own, which might not only crash your system, it could also damage your CPU because the dumb motherboard is setting an unsafe voltage!
Is 1.3v+ safe? Nobody knows and nobody needs to know. Uncore affects performance so little, and as you increase multipliers, the extra amount of voltage required for that extra multiplier increases over and over. If you're hardcore enough to care about the small difference you might be able to net in 1.3v+ uncore voltage, breaking a CPU or two won't matter.
Input Voltage (aka VCCIN, Vrin, Eventual Input Voltage)
The VRIN can be thought of as the entire amount of voltage drawn by the CPU and all of its components.
When your Vcore is really going up, at least 1.30 probably 1.35v or above, you may need to change other settings. For one, keep your Vccin or total CPU voltage to 0.5v above Vcore. You can try 1.9 or 2.0v. 2.2 is uncharted territory, but for my personal overclock, a Vcore of 1.42 required Vccin of 2.15v for stability. Vccin is also known as Vrin. In Asus ROG boards, try tweaking the "eventual input voltage" instead.
For my case, I was trying to get x46 core multiplier and could not stabilize. Odd, considering x45 was rock solid @ 1.35v. I scaled up voltage from 1.35 to 1.4, 1.42, 1.47, 1.5, 1.512v, without being any more stable as voltage went up. The key was a higher Vcore, AND a higher input voltage. I demonstrated this by testing stability at 1.42v with various input voltage. I tested by running x264 until Bsod 5 times per setting, keeping track of averages. From 1.85 to 1.95 to 2.05 to 2.15, I could see demonstrable improvement in stability, with a higher maximum, minimum, and average time until Bsod.
LLC (Load Line Calibration):
For Haswell, this is a setting for Vrin, NOT Vcore.

Please note I can only test LLC for MSI G45 Gaming Board. For this mobo, the setting is under the "DigitAll Power" section. Also note that LLC is for Vrin, NOT Vcore, Load tested with Prime95 28.3 with HWinfo. The Vrin as set by BIOS is 2.15v.

12% LLC:

IDLE: 2.176v

LOAD: 2.112v

100% LLC:
IDLE: 2.176v

LOAD: 2.16v

This means that upping that LLC can potentially help you when your Vrin is the offender.

Io/Sa Voltages
Also, you may need to alter the voltages for SA, IO Analog, IO digital as well. Try adding 0.1v to them.Please note: It is unclear at this point what voltages are dangerous. Be careful with these voltages. JJ from Asus said these voltages help stabilize a higher Dram divider but I got 9c errors at as low as 1600 DDR3 while managing a stable 2133 OC without touching these.
CPU VID vs Vcore
There is a difference between CPU VID and CPU Vcore when I mention both of them together. I repeat: Only when I am talking about VID and Vcore in the same sentence does my definition of Vcore change.
Normally when I say Vcore I mean what you think I mean. But when I mention VID vs Vcore, VID is the amount of core voltage you set in the BIOS yourself. You should know it, you're the one that set the voltage in there. The Vcore is the number measured by Hwinfo or HWmonitor on your CPU when it is under max load.

What does this mean? Your Vcore could be above your VID. If you set 1.3v in the BIOS that's 1.3v VID. If you are also under adaptive voltage and you're running Prime95, your Vcore could be a whopping 1.5v, way above your set 1.3v.
Finally please note, there are multiple reports of people having a higher Vcore than VID even under non-synthetic loads but the extra voltage is relatively small. Just be careful and monitor voltages closely. As your VID increases the extra voltage drawn in from a regular non-synthetic load increases.
Override vs Adaptive: An analysis

My tests show that adaptive is a USELESS voltage mode.

Adaptive On Cstates Off showed the same idle voltage as Adaptive off (Override) Cstates off.

Adaptive Off Cstates On showed very low idle voltage.
Adaptive On Cstates On showed identical results to Adaptive Off Cstates On.

Having Adaptive On means your voltage increases by a large amount during a synthetic stress test. Because adaptive doesn't seem to do anything and of this possible safety hazard, I now recommend people to turn Adaptive OFF and Cstates ON to C7.

In all three cases, the idle clock speed of the processor did not change as measured by HWinfo. For this I also doublechecked with CPUZ and it agreed with HWinfo.

Bsod Codes
When you Bsod, it shows a code outlining what happened. However, with Haswell I've noticed that the code itself isn't a perfect tool to diagnosing what exactly is wrong with your OC, just that something is actually wrong with your OC and it's CPU related. The codes are 101, 124, 9c. When you get those, you know your CPU OC isn't perfectly stable. If you're getting some oddball code like 116, 3B, etc, then something else is causing the computer to crash. Yes, you can make Bsod screens stay up until you manually restart. A google search should net the answer. In Windows 7 at least, after a Bsod, Windows shows what the Bsod code was. Windows 8 also has Bsod "codes", like Error Time Watchdog, etc.
How do you know what voltages are "safe"?
Everything is off of past experience and estimations. Nobody can tell you for sure because to do that we need to destroy multiple CPUs to tell. Degradation also needs to be checked and that would take a year at least of testing and multiple CPUs set at various different voltage settings. In other words, real testing is impossible.
Lenke til kommentar

Kjørte multiplier til 39 og Vcore til 1.180V. Satt også X.M.P til profile1. Under 100% load i Prime95 holder den stabilt i underkant av 80C. Hva er anbefalt av maks temperaturer her? Den vil jo aldri komme så høyt under gaming, men hva "grensa" i Prime95? Skal vel gå an å kjøre multiplier opp litt til, rundt 41, 42?

12242922406_1637f4560a_o.jpg

Endret av Soppost
Lenke til kommentar

Kjørte multiplier til 39 og Vcore til 1.180V. Satt også X.M.P til profile1. Under 100% load i Prime95 holder den stabilt i underkant av 80C. Hva er anbefalt av maks temperaturer her? Skal vel gå an å kjøre multiplier opp litt til, rundt 41, 42?

Overklokking.jpg?_subject_uid=101144883&

80 grader er litt høyt- eg har i7-3770K 4.6 ghz- volt 1.312 - temp 80

Skal delidde prossessoren når eg får tid

Lenke til kommentar

80 grader er litt høyt- eg har i7-3770K 4.6 ghz- volt 1.312 - temp 80

Skal delidde prossessoren når eg får tid

Ettersom jeg har lest er visst Haswell prosessorene litt høyere i temperaturer enn Ivy Bridge, og nå kjører jeg med Cooler Master 212 Evo i motsetning til din H100 i følge signaturen din. Var litt styr og knot å få satt på kjøleren første gang, så lurer på å sette den på, på nytt etterhvert.

Endret av Soppost
Lenke til kommentar

Ettersom jeg har lest er visst Haswell prosessorene litt høyere i temperaturer enn Ivy Bridge, og nå kjører jeg med Cooler Master 212 Evo i motsetning til din H100 i følge signaturen din. Var litt styr og knot å få satt på kjøleren første gang, så lurer på å sette den på, på nytt etterhvert.

hm- trodde det var Ivy som var varmest, vertfall intrykket eg har fått, eg kan ta feil :) eg kjører corsair h 100, på laveste instillinger + motstand på viftene, blir ikke bedre temps med "JETFLY modus" xD hehehe :D

Ser ut som det er egentlig ingen anna vei å gå-enn å delidde prosessoren. kommer opp i 80-85 grader ved prime. har ikke tid til å spille så mye nå uansett. Men tror nok å bytte kabinett vil gi større plass til luft gjennomstrømming- tenker på Corsair 540 Air

tenker "Nizzen delid method" funker for meg :p med noen kakk på ihs

Endret av TheGaame
Lenke til kommentar

Haswell er varm!!!!

Jeg kjører min på 4.4GHz og ligger i underkant av 90 grader, å jeg bruker Phanteks kjøler.... Som er like god som Noctua og H100 :)

Auch, du har ikke delidda ennda?

eg har sett Nizzen sin metode, den såg brukbar ut for min del. å bruke skalpell eller noe sånt er eg for uforsiktig til xD

Lenke til kommentar

hm- trodde det var Ivy som var varmest, vertfall intrykket eg har fått, eg kan ta feil :) eg kjører corsair h 100, på laveste instillinger + motstand på viftene, blir ikke bedre temps med "JETFLY modus" xD hehehe :D

Ser ut som det er egentlig ingen anna vei å gå-enn å delidde prosessoren. kommer opp i 80-85 grader ved prime. har ikke tid til å spille så mye nå uansett. Men tror nok å bytte kabinett vil gi større plass til luft gjennomstrømming- tenker på Corsair 540 Air

tenker "Nizzen delid method" funker for meg :p med noen kakk på ihs

Selvfølgelig, skal du prime dagen lang så er vel å delidde eneste mulighet. Selv har jeg min på 4.4Ghz uten problemer med en slik http://www.komplett.no/noctua-nh-u12p-se2-cpu-kjler/496004 med kun en vifte.

Lenke til kommentar

Selvfølgelig, skal du prime dagen lang så er vel å delidde eneste mulighet. Selv har jeg min på 4.4Ghz uten problemer med en slik http://www.komplett.no/noctua-nh-u12p-se2-cpu-kjler/496004 med kun en vifte.

skal ha en kjølig prosessor, med mest mulig effekt( vil ikke vi alle? ;) ) og aler helst så stille som mulig :)

Ja- eg kan gå for Custom vannkjøling, men frister egentlig lite å legge ut 4-5 tusen(med gpu) for kjøling, skal ikke "extreme OC" heller :)

Lenke til kommentar

skal ha en kjølig prosessor, med mest mulig effekt( vil ikke vi alle? ;) ) og aler helst så stille som mulig :)

Ja- eg kan gå for Custom vannkjøling, men frister egentlig lite å legge ut 4-5 tusen(med gpu) for kjøling, skal ikke "extreme OC" heller :)

Joda, skjønner det. Selv ligger jeg på 60-64c og er storfornøyd. Stille er det også

Lenke til kommentar

Kjørte multiplier til 39 og Vcore til 1.180V. Satt også X.M.P til profile1. Under 100% load i Prime95 holder den stabilt i underkant av 80C. Hva er anbefalt av maks temperaturer her? Den vil jo aldri komme så høyt under gaming, men hva "grensa" i Prime95? Skal vel gå an å kjøre multiplier opp litt til, rundt 41, 42?

Overklokking.jpg?_subject_uid=101144883&

Tror egentlig ikke du bør kjøre den opp særlig mye mer. 80 grader er vel egentlig anbefalt å være maks under stresstest

Lenke til kommentar

Har testet litt flere instillinger nå:

12242525943_cfdb8af9de_o.jpg

Multiplier satt til 42 og Vcore til 1.180V

Hvor langt ned er det mulig å kjøre Vcore slik at den kjører stabilt? Og er disse temperaturene med Prime95 krise? Temp idle er forsatt rundt 30C og rundt 60C under spilling.

Endret av Soppost
Lenke til kommentar

Har testet litt flere instillinger nå:

Overklokking_2.jpg?_subject_uid=10114488

Multiplier satt til 42 og Vcore til 1.180V

Hvor langt ned er det mulig å kjøre Vcore slik at den kjører stabilt? Og er disse temperaturene med Prime95 krise? Temp idle er forsatt rundt 30C og rundt 60C under spilling.

Kjør en stresstest i noen timer, og kjører det stabilt uten å overstige 80 grader noe særlig er det OK. Blir det for varmt bør du justere ned spenningen og muligens justere ned klokkefrekvensen.

Vi kan ikke se noen av bildene du legger ut

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...