• NEI
    • Vet ikke
  2. 2. Ønsker du anarkisme i Norge?

• JA
    • NEI
    • Vet ikke

Anbefalte innlegg

Can't extract money from the penniless

Of course you can, give me your worst scenario. Crime, verdict and criminals bios
Education will be too expensive for many and one can't educate oneself when one is vulnerable and unsafe
Indeed, just like an "Air Force One" is too expensive for many since they have other more urgent priorities.

A meaningless platitude that ignores the question at hand. Every afghan and Somali I have met much prefers the safer warlordism(according to you) offered in Ohio to their constant fear of being captured and killed in their homelands

Did you meet them in Ohio, or in Somaliland?

Lenke til kommentar
  • 2 uker senere...
Videoannonse
Annonse

There was not really a change in morality, most people in the north thought it was immoral as did many in the south, what changed was whether the federal government should tell a state to change it.

So what you are saying is that most people did not want slavery, but were just waiting around for their government to stop protecting the slave owners?

The larger point is that without majority rule, the system would not have changed. In an anarchy, slavery would likely still exist and the dark side of humanity would run unabated

Sure there can still be crime(ie. slavery) in an anarchist society, as there still is slavery in many modern states today(both legal and illegal).

The larger point is that without the state to protect the slave owners, the majority might have freed the slaves sooner.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar

So what you are saying is that most people did not want slavery, but were just waiting around for their government to stop protecting the slave owners?

The question was whether expression of majority rule would cause a civil war

Sure there can still be crime(ie. slavery) in an anarchist society, as there still is slavery in many modern states today(both legal and illegal).

The larger point is that without the state to protect the slave owners, the majority might have freed the slaves sooner.

Nobody was required to have slaves and those that did could have freed them at any time. Many in fact, did free their slaves and if you were not wealthy, you had none.

It was the powerful who retained their slaves and only gave them up after a civil war. In an anarchy, the tradition would likely continue to this day, since they did not free them when they could have done so

Lenke til kommentar

The question was whether expression of majority rule would cause a civil war

To be honest, the war was not so much about slavery or the abolishment thereof, but more about uniting the states(against their will) right?

The Union could easily have stopped supporting slavery without starting a war could it not?

Nobody was required to have slaves and those that did could have freed them at any time. Many in fact, did free their slaves and if you were not wealthy, you had none.

It was the powerful who retained their slaves and only gave them up after a civil war. In an anarchy, the tradition would likely continue to this day, since they did not free them when they could have done so

True that you could have slaves in an anarchy too, but that would be against anarchist law( ie. using coercion). As you said, nobody was required to have slaves. But if i am not mistaking one would have been coerced by the state if one tried to free a slave, or as a slave, try to escape?

Lenke til kommentar
To be honest, the war was not so much about slavery or the abolishment thereof, but more about uniting the states(against their will) right?

The Union could easily have stopped supporting slavery without starting a war could it not?

The main factors of the war were certainly about both slavery and the limits of federal power. Historians differ about their relative importance, which changed over time. The Union never supported slavery, it only tolerated the right of some states to allow it. The United States would not have existed without tolerance of slavery since the southern states would not have joined the USA.

True that you could have slaves in an anarchy too, but that would be against anarchist law( ie. using coercion). As you said, nobody was required to have slaves. But if i am not mistaking one would have been coerced by the state if one tried to free a slave, or as a slave, try to escape?

Slaves were considered property, free to give away or set free at any time without consequence. Stealing that property, was illegal. Without a strong central authority and strong local support of slavery I fail to see how anarchy law would be able to free the slaves from the powerful southern slaveowners better than the all out war that was required, not would they ever agree to participate in an anarchy that had that requirement.

Lenke til kommentar

Slaves were considered property, free to give away or set free at any time without consequence. Stealing that property, was illegal.

And the union upheld this property right am i right?

Without a strong central authority and strong local support of slavery I fail to see how anarchy law would be able to free the slaves from the powerful southern slaveowners better than the all out war that was required, not would they ever agree to participate in an anarchy that had that requirement.

You are probably right, but in an anarchy one would not have this strong central authority that protected slave owners right to own people(altough it did change it's mind somewhat). It is true that this might have resulted in a situation were powerful slave owners still would have slaves. But as i said, anarchy is not a guarantee against coercion, the state one the other hand is a guarantee for coercion.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...