Gå til innhold

Ye Olde Pub (The English Pub)

Lidskjalv

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

I personally don't believe in God anymore then I believe in spider-man. They both seem to be pretty much all fictional to me, yet every once in a while, when something bad happens, i have a tendency to go "fuck you God, thanks a lot, you bastard.". Don't know why that is, really.

Endret av Stian89
Lenke til kommentar

Some vice words from a online friend of mine, which he wrote on his website:

http://lupercal.supersized.org/archives/3-Beliefs.html

It made me think...

Religion is an odd thing.. From a logical point of view the whole thing is ridiculous. Not a shred of evidence. Nothing.

If there is an omnipotent god.. and he does nothing about all the bad shit that's going on in the world then I must conclude that he doesn't care about us. If that is the case then I see no reason why I should worship him. And if he cares about all the bad shit that's going on in the world but can't do anything about it.. then he's not omnipotent.. and if that's the case then he's hardly worthy of worship..

And then there's the "wider context". I find it very hard to believe that there is a truly omnipotent god that gives a shit about being worshipped by less than half of a race of advanced monkeys that live on a small planet in a corner of the milkyway. Have you any idea of how vast the universe is? It's huge!

Endret av Aak1
Lenke til kommentar
I personally don't believe in God anymore then I believe in spider-man. They both seem to be pretty much all fictional to me, yet every once in a while, when something bad happens, i have a tendency to go "fuck you God, thanks a lot, you bastard.". Don't know why that is, really.

8695555[/snapback]

"I personally don't believe in God anymore then I believe in spider-man" should be "I personally don't believe in God more then I believe in spider-man."

Agree?

Lenke til kommentar

8695555[/snapback]

"I personally don't believe in God anymore then I believe in spider-man" should be "I personally don't believe in God more then I believe in spider-man."

Agree?

8711079[/snapback]

No. :)

I don't think you're right about that one.

edit

With that in mind, both sentences are acceptable, "anymore" is however the more correct term as I see it. "God more then..." is, as I said, also okay, but without the "any", it sounds kind of fruity, or"fornorsket", if you catch my drift.

(I'm not saying that i know I'm right on this one, it's just my gut feeling.)

Anybody think I'm wrong, be sure to speak up. :)

Good night folks, see you tomorrow.

Endret av Stian89
Lenke til kommentar

8695555[/snapback]

Agree?

8711079[/snapback]

edit

With that in mind, both sentences are acceptable, "anymore" is however the more correct term as I see it. "God more then..." is, as I said, also okay, but without the "any", it sounds kind of "fornorsket", if you catch my drift.

:)

If anybody else has any opinions, bring 'em on.

8711096[/snapback]

What about: "I personally don't believe in God any more then I believe in spider-man". Add a space between any and more to avoid saying: "I personally don't believe in God anymore". Equal to "I've lost faith in God".

Endret av pwd3679
Lenke til kommentar

8695555[/snapback]

Agree?

8711079[/snapback]

Than, not then. If...then but x more than y. What you're saying here is, "I personally don't believe in God more, then I believe in spider-man", which is only semi-coherent.

Lenke til kommentar

8695555[/snapback]

Agree?

8711079[/snapback]

edit

With that in mind, both sentences are acceptable, "anymore" is however the more correct term as I see it. "God more then..." is, as I said, also okay, but without the "any", it sounds kind of "fornorsket", if you catch my drift.

:)

If anybody else has any opinions, bring 'em on.

8711096[/snapback]

What about: "I personally don't believe in God any more then I believe in spider-man". Add a space between any and more to avoid saying: "I personally don't believe in God anymore". Equal to "I've lost faith in God".

8711153[/snapback]

Yes, you're right. :thumbup:

Didn't catch that myself... Saying "anymore" is kind of like saying "no longer", "any longer" - doesn't fit.

The spacing cleared things up a bit - my bad.

Lenke til kommentar

"Anymore" was in this case accepted as a typo or a simple mistake, like saying "then" instead of "than".

"Then" is usually used as the Norwegian word "da", and "than" means "enn".

Your sentence would be, with mistakes: "Jeg personlig tror ikke tror ikke mer på Gud da jeg tror på Spider-man", which could confuse a bit.

The right sentence would be "I personally don't believe in God any more than I believe in Spider-man", which would be "Jeg personlig tror ikke noe mer på Gud enn jeg tror på Spider-man".

Lenke til kommentar
"Anymore" was in this case accepted as a typo or a simple mistake, like saying "then" instead of "than".

"Then" is usually used as the Norwegian word "da", and "than" means "enn".

Your sentence would be, with mistakes: "Jeg personlig tror ikke tror ikke mer på Gud da jeg tror på Spider-man", which could confuse a bit.

The right sentence would be "I personally don't believe in God any more than I believe in Spider-man", which would be "Jeg personlig tror ikke noe mer på Gud enn jeg tror på Spider-man".

8712560[/snapback]

Nice reply. You sound like an english teacher :p Definately hope you get english on your oral exam. You'd do great.

Lenke til kommentar
Stikko, its material.

8684450[/snapback]

@eilertsen: It's "it's", as in It is, as in "It is supposed to be material. :)

edit:

"Its", without the apostrophe, is used when saying something like "The dress was ass ugly, not to mention its color, which was very inappropriate."

8685217[/snapback]

Ahh.. Thanks! :)
Lenke til kommentar

Thank for the explenation, Arinomy.

Could you please elaborate on when to use wich/which as well?

I seem to struggle with this, as well.

My english is far from perfect, but I am hoping to improve my written english to the point where you can't tell the difference from me and a person who has english as his primary language.

Another thing I struggle with is the proper length and structure of a sentence.

But I guess I'll attend to school, rather than forcing you into becoming an online tutor.

Anyway. Thanks for the advise, I'll take it to heart.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...