Gå til innhold

How to travel and find work in Norway?

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello everybody,

I'm not sure or I am on the right site and right forum; if not maybe you can give me a link of a forum where i am right with my message...I can't speak or read nors, but i am trying to read it and some words aren't that difficult but most are. But first I will introduce myself in short;

I am Monique, 18 years and from the Netherlands. I studied last year Management Tourism at the international university of Tourism in Breda. But and the beginning of my second year i decided to quit my study because i didn't like the study very much. So i am working right now in the Netherlands and i want to start a new study in September 2007. But firstly i want to travel to Norway and stay there for about 5 months. of those 5 months i will work for 4 months and the 5th month i will travel through Norway.

I have searched to organisations which organise work & travel programms to Norway; i found 2 organisations and i have the possibility to go with a organisations and stay for 4 months on a farm in Norway by a guestfamily. I prefer to work on a horse farm but the chance i will get a horse farm is very small...but i will also have fun on a other farm. And i think it will become a great experience. But maybe you know other organisations of farmers which are searching for a working guest and also a family which like to introduce Norway to me?

After those 4 months of working I will travel through Norway by train/bus (public transport)..but are places in norway good reachable with bus/train? And maybe someone can give me a route through Norway? And which places i must have seen there?

I hope someone can help me....

Thanks!

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

When you wrote "nors(noorse)" I knew that you where from the Netherlands.

For the "Holiday" month you could try http://www.hurtigruten.com/no/default.aspx . If I'm not wrong you will get the oppertunity to go off the cruise/boat and visit small citys around Norway.

For a land"cruise" with less quality and service, I would choose http://www.kystbussen.no/english/ wich starts in Bergen, goes trough some smaller citys(you could go off in one of these and fin a hotell, Haugesund is a nice city for this), and it stops in Stavanger.

If you want to go to the capital you could take a train, using http://www.nsb.no/internet/en/index.jhtml.(NSB is also an excelent way to visit other citys.)

Ik ben uit van Alkmaar, Noord-Holland(But I'm no good in wiriting the damned language, because I moved to Norway when I was two years old^^)

Sorry for my bad english. :thumbdown:

Endret av PatrickM
Lenke til kommentar

For starters: The language spoken in Norway is usualy refered to as "Norwegian", not Norse. That being said I think it's wonderfull that youth from other countries would actualy spend a couple of months discovering boring old Norway. :p

A few hints that might save you LOTS of trouble:

* Stay out of Oslo. It's sad to say so, but our capital has become a crime infested pit, and you'd be adviced not to come there as a backpacker I think. I've met young people from other european countries who's been beaten down and robbed there, and had a REALY hard time here without a pasport or ID.

* It's a VERY good idea to make shure you got a job here *before* you go here. Most hired hands in Norwegian farms are polish and lithuanians working for halv a bottle of coke a day. I gues it's possible to get a short time job as a waiter in a eg. a pub or a restaurant, but you're probably much better of if you get a job before you et here.

* If you are african, arabic, asian, native american or ANYTHING OTHER THAN PURE ARIAN WHITE I'd recomend against trying to get a job here unles you have a PHd in Norwegian and know how to make fårikål, smalahove, geitost and lusekofte. It's not that Norwegians are racists, we just don't trust people who don't look, act, think and believe like us... :roll:

* The cheapest way of traveling in Norway is probably by buss. Nor-Way has routes to most of the country: http://www.nbe.no/nbeweb/index.jsp?lang=en

* You haven't seen Norway before youv'e been to the northernen areas. But beware: Finmark is HUGE. And getting there takes forever if you travel by road. Hurtigruten is a good alternative, but it's darn expensive if you travel during the tourist season. if you can stomacj some realy f#cking heavy sea and kick as bad weather you could take Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes during the winter. It's cheaper then, but you risk hitting a winter storm. Bring a puke bag... :innocent:

* Remember: Norway is a darn expensive country. Be prepared to pay a lot more than you are used to for groceries and transportation. Hotel-rooms in major citys, CDs and electronics is not to harshly priced thoug, compared to other West European countries. Mean income after taxes for a Norwegian household is aprox 43k Euro. and most Norwegians complain they have to little money. :hmm:

* If you're somewhere in the area arund Ålesund, drop me a PM, and I'll see if I can invite you to dinner or a cup of coffee. :) Enjoy your stay!

Lenke til kommentar
For starters: The language spoken in Norway is usualy refered to as "Norwegian", not Norse. That being said I think it's wonderfull that youth from other countries would actualy spend a couple of months discovering boring old Norway. :p

A few hints that might save you LOTS of trouble:

* Stay out of Oslo. It's sad to say so, but our capital has become a crime infested pit, and you'd be adviced not to come there as a backpacker I think. I've met young people from other european countries who's been beaten down and robbed there, and had a REALY hard time here without a pasport or ID.

* It's a VERY good idea to make shure you got a job here *before* you go here. Most hired hands in Norwegian farms are polish and lithuanians working for halv a bottle of coke a day. I gues it's possible to get a short time job as a waiter in a eg. a pub or a restaurant, but you're probably much better of if you get a job before you et here.

* If you are african, arabic, asian, native american or ANYTHING OTHER THAN PURE ARIAN WHITE I'd recomend against trying to get a job here unles you have a PHd in Norwegian and know how to make fårikål, smalahove, geitost and lusekofte. It's not that Norwegians are racists, we just don't trust people who don't look, act, think and believe like us... :roll:

* The cheapest way of traveling in Norway is probably by buss. Nor-Way has routes to most of the country: http://www.nbe.no/nbeweb/index.jsp?lang=en

* You haven't seen Norway before youv'e been to the northernen areas. But beware: Finmark is HUGE. And getting there takes forever if you travel by road. Hurtigruten is a good alternative, but it's darn expensive if you travel during the tourist season. if you can stomacj some realy f#cking heavy sea and kick as bad weather you could take Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes during the winter. It's cheaper then, but you risk hitting a winter storm. Bring a puke bag... :innocent:

* Remember: Norway is a darn expensive country. Be prepared to pay a lot more than you are used to for groceries and transportation. Hotel-rooms in major citys, CDs and electronics is not to harshly priced thoug, compared to other West European countries. Mean income after taxes for a Norwegian household is aprox 43k Euro. and most Norwegians complain they have to little money.  :hmm:

* If you're somewhere in the area arund Ålesund, drop me a PM, and I'll see if I can invite you to dinner or a cup of coffee.   :)  Enjoy your stay!

7221980[/snapback]

You got to be joking. Oslo is one of the few cities in Europe where you can still walk around drunk at the middle of the night without getting mugged. Of course, there are some areas that are less safe than others - but after all it's a pretty safe place to stay.

Staying in Norway does not have to be expensive. In most of the cities you can find cheap hostels and inexpensive places to eat.

Norway has a great railway system and bus network, so getting around shouldn't be a problem. The railway is fast and cheap, but if you want to experience the country side, bus or hitch-hiking is better. Travelling by taxi is really (and i mean REALLY) expensive in Norway, especially at night time.

http://www.visitoslo.no - Thing to see in Oslo

http://www.norway.info - General info about Norway

http://www.nsb.no - Norway's national railway network

http://www.norwegian.no - Norwegian low price airline

Endret av EvenT
Lenke til kommentar

I'm norwegian working in the Netherlands, close to Eindhoven.

It is really hard to find a job in Norway for people from other countries. The best sollution is to check through www.eures.nl or www.eures.no and see if you can find something interresting. My girlfriend is dutch and lived one year in Norway. It was really hard for her to find any job even though the unemplyment rate in Norway is very low. Of course you can get jobs norwegians don't want to have, but don't expect to get a good job in Norway in competition with norwegians. There will of course be some companies that are more international orientated and there you may have a chance.

But try Eures. Eures will have at least some jobs for you. Register at an agency and make them help you.

Lenke til kommentar
You got to be joking. Oslo is one of the few cities in Europe where you can still walk around drunk at the middle of the night without getting mugged. Of course, there are some areas that are less safe than others - but after all it's a pretty safe place to stay.

7233915[/snapback]

Even though it's a pretty safe place, it is still the most unsafe city in Norway.
Lenke til kommentar

7233915[/snapback]

Even though it's a pretty safe place, it is still the most unsafe city in Norway.

7240640[/snapback]

That's true, but if you compare it to other European metropoles like Amsterdam, Berlin, London etc. I would call it safe. Anyways, I would rather visit Bergen than Oslo.

Lenke til kommentar
  • 2 uker senere...

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...