Gå til innhold

Dell vil ikke satse på AMD64

Anbefalte innlegg

http://marketwatch-cnet.com.com/AMD+sketch...=feed&subj=news

One of the goals for 2005 is to get its chips into the corporate desktop space. Ruiz in part attributes the exclusion to the Intel Inside campaign, which provides computer makers with marketing dollars.

"We're very strong in small business, but in the big commercial accounts, we're not in them at all frankly," he said. Computer makers "have a cocaine addiction to a lot of marketing dollars.

"I don't know of a (computer maker) that doesn't hate Intel Inside. It takes away from the brand. But it is one of those things that once you are addicted to it, you can't get away from it."

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
Humm, her var det mye rart.

Å blande inn ord som komunisme i dette blir for dummt.

Hehe,

ventet på den.. Brukte ordet kommunisme med vilje for å provosere litt;-) Var en grunn til at jeg puttet det i annførselstegn!!!

Ellers kan jeg nok en gang bare påpeke at tom waits for alice har en enorm evne til å formulere tankene mine :w00t:

Og jeg venter enda i spenning på at noen motsier meningene hans med gode argumenter! Mine poster er totalt irrelevante i forhold til tom waits sine!

Hmm.... men skulle enda likt å se snorreh svare på utfordringen min fra en del poster tilbake om svare på spørsmålene mine!

Lenke til kommentar

Dell 'to add' AMD CPUs to product line - CEO

Getting a little chilly down there, Satan? Yes, infernal ice-skating may soon become possible, following Dell CEO Kevin Rollins' admission that the computer giant is close to signing up AMD as a processor supplier.

[...]

Of course, we've been here before, so many times. Dell, the only major computer manufacturer not currently sourcing CPUs from AMD, has hinted at a shift from its Intel-only policy on a number of occasions, largely as a bargaining tool with Intel. Rollins' statements this week may be just such a move, but they're certainly the closest the company has come to saying it does intend to use AMD product.

Rollins is smart enough not to provide a timetable - "in the future" is about as open as it gets. So there's plenty of room for Intel to make the manufacturer a better offer.

And it's not like turning its back on AMD has cost Dell sales. "We have not been losing a ton of business because we haven't had AMD," said Rollins.

But is that starting to happen? Certainly its main rivals, the likes of HP, Sun and IBM, have been stoking the fire for Opteron, and Dell may well feel the time has come to follow suit.

Lenke til kommentar

AMD reflects on progress, Dell possibilities

AMD now has Fortune 500 customers for its server processors and a growing stable of mobile technologies, Ruiz said. The company has recorded four straight profitable quarters, mostly on demand for its Opteron server processor, after racking up nine consecutive quarterly losses from 2001 through 2003.

This turnaround has attracted the attention of all the major server vendors, with one notable exception. In an interview after the main analyst event, Ruiz addressed the latest round of comments by Dell Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Kevin Rollins about the potential for a Dell Opteron server.

"My guess is we're going to want to add that (AMD) product line in the future," Rollins said earlier this week in an interview with IDG News Service affiliate InfoWorld.

"We'd love to get the number one computer maker left," Ruiz said. However, the competitive price advantage that Dell enjoys as an exclusive user of Intel chips is hard for AMD to match, he said. AMD can't provide the same financial incentives to use Opteron that Intel can dangle in front of Chairman Michael Dell and Rollins, he said.

Lenke til kommentar

Is Dell finally going to team up with AMD?

Dell chief executive Kevin Rollins on Monday gave the most direct indication yet that a deal with AMD may be on the way, dropping a strong hint that the news was a question of when, not if.

Speaking in Paris at the launch of Dell's first blade server, Rollins took time out to comment on press reports last week that saw AMD's stock rise on news that Dell has been studying the possibility of using AMD chips.

Rollins confirmed that the company has been investigating and testing AMD processors very seriously, and said, "We will let you know when we have a comment to make."

"Recently we have had a much more favourable disposition," said Rollins, "because some of [AMD's] products in high performance computing are very good and in some cases more advanced than those of Intel. We have looked more closely and more seriously than ever before."

Any agreement would be likely to see AMD's 64-bit Opteron chips appear in Dell servers. Intel's 64-bit server processor range starts with a Xeon, Intel EM64T, a substantially more expensive platform.

The prospect of Dell using AMD's processors is one of the industry's favourite rumours. Dell is famously the only major computer manufacturer that does not use AMD processors: HP, IBM and Sun all use them in addition to Intel processors. Both AMD and Dell are headquartered in Houston, and AMD makes no secret of the fact that its executives regularly go knocking on Dell's door.

Lenke til kommentar
Advarsel for å tilføre 'relevant' informasjon til topic?

Nei dette er ikke relevant info , men en ny type strategi som vedkommende benytter for å fylle opp med ENSIDIG info i post etter post , der han flere ganger kun klipper det som passer og utelater resten , dette kalles bevist forvrengning av heletsbildet .

Noe ikke bare jeg har reagert på her på forumet , men som jeg er en av de få som tør si rett ut .

Lenke til kommentar

Whatever. Whineing er lamt.

Hvis du og 'alle' du har fått PM av som 'støtter' deg har problemer med at en av forumets brukere poster info som er on-topic så er jo det synd for dere, but who cares.

Det er ifølge deg ikke lov til å quote artikler hvis man ikke quoter hele artikkelen? Skal han tråle nettet etter artikler som ikke har tro på at Dell vil ta i bruk AMD?

Gi meg en pause.

Lenke til kommentar
Whatever. Whineing er lamt.

Hvis du og 'alle' du har fått PM av som 'støtter' deg har problemer med at en av forumets brukere poster info som er on-topic så er jo det synd for dere, but who cares.

Det er ifølge deg ikke lov til å quote artikler hvis man ikke quoter hele artikkelen? Skal han tråle nettet etter artikler som ikke har tro på at Dell vil ta i bruk AMD?

Gi meg en pause.

Vel din tolkning av hva jeg sier er velkjent , så det tar vi med et smil :D Ja et stort sådann , det jeg mener er at en person som setter seg selv så høyt bør være i stand til å poste egne meninger med sine egne ord og ikke bare klippe/lime fra andre og sogar utelate de kloppene som ikke "passer" inn .

Det kalles å stå på egne ben , med egne meninger . :hmm:

Lenke til kommentar
Gjest
Dette emnet er stengt for flere svar.
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...