Gå til innhold

Foolproof installering av Cat 3.8.. [Modemwarning]

radix

Anbefalte innlegg

Tatt fra driverheavens forum (har spurt om lov til å kopiere guiden.. venter på svar..)

Originally posted by Genius

Updated 12-20-2002 at 6:15PM EST

Humor removed for professionalism at the request of the functional part of my brain.

DISCLAIMER

WINDOWS XP ONLY

I am in no way responsible for any problems you may have by following this guide.  Read through it very carefully, and print it off on a color printer if you only have on PC available.  This guide will break the ATI Multimedia Center.  You will need to reinstall it afterwards.  Some of the steps may seem excessive or unecessary, I know this, but they are there for your success.  This guide may not be slash dotted without someone else hosting the images.

Step 1:  Disable your Ethernet card, if you have one.  This will prevent Microsoft from taking over and installing WHQL drivers from the Windows Update site without your permission.  To do this, unplug your Ethernet cable or simply go into your device manager and right click on your Ethernet card and choose Disable.  See the following illustration.

nic_disable.jpg

Your Ethernet card will now have a red X to indicate that it is disabled.

nic_disabled.jpg

Now let's get down to business.

Step 2:  Uninstall your existing Video card and drivers

Method A:  Add/Remove Programs.

Go into your control panel and choose the Add/Remove Programs icon.  If you are currently using an ATI Radeon based card, you should see the following (unless you're using the default Windows XP drivers).

ati_uninst.jpg

Highlight the item you wish to remove and click Change/Remove.  Each time you uninstall the ATI Control Panel or Video Drivers, you  will be asked if you wish to restart your computer.  Click no.  If you have another type of video card such as, God forbid, an Nvidia or Matrox adapter, you may have an uninstall program for that as well.  It will be up to you to determine what is safe to uninstall.  If you don't have an uninstall program for your display adapter, don't worry, we have another method.

Method B:  Device Manager

This method is intended for uninstalling oem adapters, or any adapter without an uninstall program accessible through Add/Remove programs.  Go into your Device Manager by right clicking the My Computer icon, and clicking properties on the popup menu.  This will take you to a screen similar to this:

sysprop.jpg

In this window, click the tab labelled Hardware, then Device Manager, which will take you here:

devmang.jpg

Click the + symbol to the left of Display Adapters and you will see at least one adapter, such as you see above.  Right click on the adapter you wish to remove (better remove all of them for this guide to work, otherwise enjoy your unstable system :)).  You will see a small menu with an option to uninstall.  Click it.  You will be prompted to authorize the uninstallation, and you obviously click yes to proceed.  Afterwards, you will also be prompted to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.  Click No.

restart.jpg

Step 3:  INF purge

Files with a .inf extension are files that Windows uses to get information as to how your hardware should be installed; which files to copy, registry entries to be created, etc.  Each .inf file contains a hardware identifier key that tells Windows Hey, that's me! when installing new hardware.  These are what will cause your video card to automatically install itself upon reboot.  Microsoft has also added the ability to find your hardware identifier in their own databases on Windows Update as well, allowing Windows to download and install drivers automatically (This is why we disabled your Ethernet adapter in Step 1).

Open up an Explorer window (right click My Computer, click Explore).  In your Explorer window, browse to C:Windowsinf and find the following files:

ati_inf.jpg

Note:  If you do not see an inf folder, you need to set the Windows Explorer to show all files.  To do this, in the Explorer Window, click Tools, then Folder Options.  In the window that pops up, click the View tab.  On this page you will see a box labelled Advanced with several check boxes to enable and disable various features.  Go to the section labelled Hidden Files and Folders.  Tick the radio button in front of Show hidden files and folders and  remove the checks from Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Delete them (backing up by copying to another location is recommended).  Though not all of these files are related to the ATI Radeon card, I remove them all myself anyways.  Deleting these keys will only need to be done once.  The files will not be replaced by subsequent installs and only a reinstallation of Windows XP or Service Pack 1.  If you already know which ones don't belong, remove only the necessary files.  Remember, this is a n00b guide.   If you own a different type of video card, such as Nvidia or Matrox, there are specific .inf files for these.  For example, nv3.inf or nv4_disp.inf for Nvidia cards.  For each .inf file, there will be a corrosponding file with the extension .PNF.  Remove (and backup) these as well for consistency.  Once you have removed the .inf files corrosponding to your video adapter, we'll move on to the next step.  OEMxx.inf files.  These are created when you install a device with drivers from the manufacturer.  The following image will show you what I mean:

oem_inf.jpg

You don't want to delete all the files you see here, but the ones we want to delete will vary from system to system.  What you will need to do is open each oemxx.inf file and examine the contents to determine if it belongs to your display adapter.  For example, in the following image, I open oem7.inf.

ati_oeminf.jpg

Notice how the highlighted line says Installation INF for the ATI display driver.  This tells me that it belongs to my ATI card (duh!).  We can safely delete this file and it's corrosponding .PNF file.  Go through all of your oemxx.inf files and remove all pertaining to your video card.  Different manufacturers will have telltale signs at the beginning of each file.  Use your better judgement as to what should be removed.  There may be multiple .inf's and .PNF's for your hardware.  Remove them all.  Got it?  Good.  We're getting there.

Special Note: If you are using ATI's uninstall program through Add/Remove programs, do not delete the oemxx.inf files until AFTER you have run the uninstall.  Doing so will cause the uninstall to return you an error.  Follow this guide in order.

Update:  If you see any .PNF files without a matching oemxx.inf, it was likely removed by ATI uninstallation procedure.  This appears to be new to the Catalyst drivers.  You can safely remove any unmatched .PNF files.

Edit: Så er det bare å installere driverne. :smile:

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
ATi har en utility på driversiden sin som gjør dette. Er det ikke like trygt å bruke den?

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

Det er ikke umulig. Jeg har ikke prøvd ATIs avinstalleringsprogram, så skal ikke påstå noe, men jeg stoler ikke 100% på slike programmer, da de gamle versjonene (standard avinstallering) ikke var helt 100% gode..

Merk! Denne guiden er bare for de som har problemer.. Dersom det ovenfornevnte programmet virker 100% for deg, trenger du ikke å bruke guiden..

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...