Gå til innhold

Nye Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes Bilder og Intervju!

Nexxi

Anbefalte innlegg

https://www.home.no/chester-1/MGS%20%20Rema..._090503_x01.jpg

https://www.home.no/chester-1/MGS%20%20Rema..._090503_x03.jpg

https://www.home.no/chester-1/MGS%20%20Rema..._090503_x06.jpg

https://www.home.no/chester-1/MGS%20%20Rema..._090503_x09.jpg

https://www.home.no/chester-1/MGS%20%20Rema..._090503_x12.jpg

Sikkle sikkle!!!

Her er et nylig intervju fra IGN også:

Her er intervjuet:

Interview: Denis Dyack on The Twin Snakes

Silicon Knights talks Metal Gear, Solid Snake, Konami, Nintendo, collaborations, next-generation, and more! Must-read interview.

September 05, 2003 - IGNcube recently traveled to Konami of America's Redwood City, California-based offices to meet with a trim Denis Dyack, president of Silicon Knights, the developer creating the GameCube Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. In a sectioned off conference room hidden in the back of Konami's offices, Dyack openly talked about the anticipated project, and touched on subjects ranging from his inner-workings with Nintendo to what it's been like collaborating with Hideo Kojima, the creator of the MGS franchise. He also touched on what this Nintendo/Konami/Silicon Knights effort might hold for the future. Read the full interview below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGNcube: Thanks for chatting with us, Denis. Can you start by telling readers how Silicon Knights became involved with the Metal Gear franchise and this project?

Denis Dyack: It's an interesting story. I was actually in Kyoto when Eternal Darkness was finished and had been out, and I was visiting with Miyamoto-san, Iwata-san, Ashita-san, Yamata-san, Tanabe-san, and all the guys we work with on videogames. And we were talking about some of the games we were going to do and we started planning and doing stuff - the usual, which I can't talk about, sorry [laughs]. I can't talk about specifically what those are, but I can talk about the other parts. I was there for about a week, I think, and one of the days I sat down [at the NCL cafeteria] and was eating and all of a sudden Miyamoto-san and Iwata-san sat down beside me and I was sort of like, "Hmm. What's going on?"

Miyamoto-san and Iwata-san started talking and [Miyamoto] looked at me and said: "So, Denis, would you like to do Metal Gear Solid?"

I just looked at him and asked, "Pardon?"

Miyamoto said: "Well, I've been talking with Kojima-san [the creator of Metal Gear] and we really want to bring a Metal Gear Solid to GameCube. Kojima-san really would like to do it but his team is busy and they really don't have a lot of experience with the GameCube. So they're looking for a solid team that can work with them on this title to ensure that it's of high quality and that it'll get done for the Cube. We think you're perfect for it."

So I said yes.

The next day Kojima-san and a group from Konami took the bullet train down and we had a big meeting where all of the presidents were there and it was really interesting. We all sort of talked about it lightly and saw if everyone meshed, and we did so we started the project right there. One week later we flew to Tokyo and to Konami where Kojima-san's group develops games and we spent a week talking to them and seeing how the game's put together and decided upon a globally strategy, and we started when we got back home. So that's how it happened.

IGNcube: Did you know initially that Silicon Knights would work with Konami and Nintendo on an enhanced version of the original Metal Gear Solid, or did you think that you might develop a straight port?

Denis: I don't think anyone thought that a straight port would be as exciting as what we're doing now. Certainly you know the history behind us and Nintendo and how we always want to do something new and exciting and I think Kojima-san also wanted to do something like that to take a first step into the world of Nintendo on the Cube. So the idea has always been Twin Snakes as it is now.

IGNcube: Okay. So this is a two-part question. First, how big are the teams at Silicon Knights?

Denis: [Laughs] These are the trick questions.

IGNcube: Uh-huh. We're trying to get an idea of how you organized Silicon Knights at this point. How did you break up the teams? How big were the teams working on Metal Gear and other Nintendo projects?

Denis: But if I tell you the specific numbers you'll then be able to calculate when the next title is going to come out and [know more about] the game's I can't talk about.

IGNcube: We can't calculate that. It would all be speculation, of course.

Denis: [More laughter] Well, actually I'm not allowed to talk about the number of people on the project but I can say that Silicon Knights is around 72 people.

IGNcube: Is the Metal Gear team a large team or a smaller group?

Denis: Oh, the Metal Gear team is a big one. It would not be possible for it to be a small team because of what we're doing. If it was just a port [the team] wouldn't be that big. But when you're talking about taking the gameplay in general from Metal Gear 2 and applying it the first, you have to do so many things. And some of the things create totally new things. It really is a lot of development work. A tremendous amount of work is being done.

IGNcube: You know, to follow up on that, there are definitely gamers out there under the impression that Twin Snakes is just a straight port of the original MGS. What would you say to those with this opinion of the game?

Denis: Well, where to start? On the immediate level you're going to see the difference in graphics between the original and what we're doing now. We're taking the multiple texture layers on the GameCube as an example - you know, bump-mapping, shine-mapping, all that stuff. The character polygon models are very, very high now actually. The framerate is running at 60 frames per second. The sound is all the GameCube can do - it sounds great. And that's some of it on a technical level. On a content level, there are tremendous amounts of differences. All of the polygon demos are being totally redone. As a matter of fact, there is significantly more footage. And it looks fantastic. You'll see some of this and you'll get a good idea of where it's being taken. My guess is that Metal Gear fans - even if it was a straight port with these new cinemas - would want to see it. But one of the biggest enhancements is the ability to do all of the things you could do in Metal Gear Solid 2 in the Metal Gear Solid 1 world. And in order to do this the environments change. So you have lockers in places they weren't before; you have railings you can hang on and you couldn't do that before. There are all of these different things that you have to do and allow the player to do and this makes the game totally different. Say you take the cargo docks as an example. You can now knock out a guard and throw him in a locker. So there are all sorts of different ways to finish a level. The boss fights are changed - enhanced. I could go on and on. There is a lot. Everything is changing.

Though people will see the spirit of Metal Gear Solid 1, it's virtually a new game beside that.

IGNcube: You talked about the cinematics being modified. How so? Have they been slightly tweaked or completely re-written?

Denis: Well, the storyline is the same, but the cinematography is totally different.

IGNcube: How long has the game been in development?

Denis: I don't want to say exactly, but right around the time we finished Eternal Darkness.

IGNcube: Okay. What's the release date?

Denis: It's this winter.

IGNcube: Would it be safe to say November, which is what we've heard from Konami in the past?

[Konami rep interrupts]: It's winter.

IGNcube: Winter is such a long season.

[Laughter]

IGNcube: Can you elaborate further on what other abilities from Metal Gear Solid 2 you can now use in Twin Snakes?

Denis: Whew, there are so many. Well, if it wasn't clear before, everything you can do in MGS2 you can do in this. So, that means you can hang off rails, throw people over rails, use a first-person shooting mode, shoot the guns and different parts of soldiers bodies. All of the physics from MGS2 are in place. The ice cubes. If you shoot a bag of flower it will spill out of the bags. It's all there. It's even more than that because now the stuff from MGS1 needs more on top of that. The AI - wow, is totally ramped up. I think it's safe to say that if you look at the AI from MGS2 then we're at 2 ½ now.

IGNcube: Going back to some of the technical aspects of the game. Can you offer more detail in regard to the visual changes from the original? For instance, what are the differences in character model polygon counts?

Denis: From the first game? Oh, I think the original had like 500 polygons per character - that's my guess. I don't know. It's pretty low. I think we're close to 3,000 polygons per character. It's pretty significant. And this is always in the game running. If you look at some of our guards with the clear glass polygon shield - that looks really neat in the game. That kind of stuff really sticks out. There are many different types of guards now. We also have specific types within those types. A lot of effort has been made to add detail to what wasn't there before.

IGNcube: Tell us what you've learned from making Eternal Darkness and how you may have used this knowledge in MGS: The Twin Snakes?

Denis: I think Kojima's group creates some of the best character models in the world. I think while we may have had more polygon counts in our Eternal Darkness characters sometimes than they did for the models in MGS2, that people might argue that the Metal Gear characters sometimes still looked better. And I think that's fair. That comes down to talent and those guys are so awesome. So just from a pure learning standpoint and I've said this before - I said it at E3 - that working with Miyamoto-san is like working with Aristotle and working with Kojima-san is like working with another great master.

And it's not just a casual call once a month to see how the game is going. We have conference calls almost every night with Konami Japan and Kojima-san's group and we've learned so much on how they create models that we've been able to improve from that standpoint. Then you take the added technology benefits of the GameCube and I think you're going to see a significant gain as far as that goes.

IGNcube: How much input does Miyamoto give you? How much input does Kojima offer?

Denis: Well, Miyamoto-san has always worked closely with us but at the same time he works on a lot of projects. Meanwhile, as for Kojima-san, the core group of his team has just left Silicon Knight after being down for a month. We'll continue to work together like that in addition to the conference calls we have four or five times a week. So to answer your question, we work very closely. It's a collaboration of all the groups, really. Certainly I think the bottom line is that we have three groups trying to create the best game they can to make consumers feel really good about it. Nintendo as a group wants people to know that the quality is going to be high. Kojima-san's group has such a high caliber vision as well and then there's ours. I think all three groups combined is a great synthesis.

I think all three groups working together like this really says something for the future. I really strong believe that the future is content and this is a very content driven game. It's games like this that will make the difference in the future.

IGNcube: What's your personal take on redoing a game that has essentially already been on PlayStation? Why not instead do a remake of MGS2 or even jump direct to a port of MGS3?

Denis: I think because they wanted something unique. If it would have been a straight port of MGS1 or MGS2, that wouldn't be very unique and I don't think anybody wanted that. At the same time, Kojima's group was well into MGS3 and that was already working and going. So it was either that we did something like Metal Gear Solid 4, which we wouldn't be able to announce or talk about for like three years, or do something like this that I think people are interested in. So I think it was a good idea. I think there are a lot of GameCube owners who haven't played Metal Gear Solid so I think it's good. I really hope people get exposed to what kind of game this is. It's a title that tells a story - a good story.

IGNcube: Does Twin Snakes run in progressive scan or 16x9 widescreen mode?

Denis: I don't think we're going to run in progressive scan, but I'm not sure. On widescreen mode, I'm going to have to get back to you.

IGNcube: Dolby Pro Logic II?

Denis: Yes. That we are doing.

IGNcube: Let's go back to E3 2003 for a moment. It was at this event that you showed the Twin Snakes playable demo for the first time - and so far you haven't let us go hands-on with an updated version. There were definitely some complaints about demo, most notably in the framerate department. Some critics said that it just wasn't up to snuff. Do you agree with that assessment and if so will you be tweaking the fluidity?

Denis: With that demo, we might not have been up to a consistent 60 frames per second. If that's the complaint then yes we agree with it. But it is going to be running at 60 frames per second by the time the game is done. If they want more fluidity beyond 60 frames per second then I don't know what to do. [Laughs] We can try for 120 but it won't make a difference on a NTSC television.

IGNcube: If you're guaranteeing 60 frames per second then we're happy.

Denis: Yeah. Yeah, we are. So we'll fix that. Don't worry. When the game's done it'll be running fast.

IGNcube: Will there be any extras in the game? Say, the original version fully emulated?

Denis: Yeah, I heard the rumor that we're throwing in Metal Gear Solid 2 - that's true, actually. [Laughs] No, it's not true! There will be extras, but there won't be another game in there.

IGNcube: Okay. No Metal Gear Solid 2 then?

Denis: No. I wish we could do something like that, but it's a lot of work.

IGNcube: Give it a month and the rumor mill will have you including Metal Gear Solid 3 as an extra.

Denis: You know, the Metal Gear Solid 2 rumor all started on the IGN forums. Someone wrote that they heard from a reliable source at Konami that MGS2 was included in the game. I had eight reporters call me about it.

IGNcube: GBA support? You had mentioned something about doing this at E3 2003 - any news?

Denis: That's a good question. We actually decided to pull it out. Yeah, we did. The reason we did that is because we had to make a choice between the overall quality or trying to squeeze more in and there's so much now. We asked what was more important - we all talked together as a group, and we decided that the best thing to do was to not include GBA support and instead make the game as best as it can be.

IGNcube: Will there be any DVD-like extras? Say, a making of or a behind-the-scenes?

Denis: I don't think there will be any of that, but there will be fun stuff in there. There will be different modes where you can watch polygon demos with people in different uniforms. Many, many things like that - there are a ton. I think these define a Metal Gear title, really, so to not have them would be a disservice. Players can expect the same level of detail and some new stuff because this is a new game.

IGNcube: More technical stuff - again. Sorry. Please confirm exactly what you're doing? Bump-mapping, shine-mapping, dirt-mapping, lighting effects, shadowing effects, etc.

Denis: We have a unified lighting pipeline which means that we have a hardware light that lights dynamically the background and the characters at the same time. That's the technology they were talking about for the new Doom title. We also have some pre-lit stuff. So when the character goes into some darker areas he'll get dark, but at the same time as the camera moves around you'll see lighting effects on the background as well. In our opinion, it looks pretty nice. Bump-map, shine-map, yadda, yadda, yadda - we do it. I don't think there's anything we don't do, that I'm aware of.

IGNcube: You took projected shadows out of Eternal Darkness at the last minute.

Denis: Yes. We did take them out of Eternal Darkness. They haven't been taken out of Metal Gear - they're here.

IGNcube: Excellent. Okay. We're just about done. But the obvious question must come: what is Silicon Knights doing next? Come on! Don't be shy, now.

Denis: I can't say.

IGNcube: Sure you can. Go on, let it slip.

Denis: Let it slip? I'd be dead.

IGNcube: Do you know what happened to Too Human?

Denis: Yes, I do! I can't talk about Too Human. But I do know what happened to it. I'm sorry. I wish I could talk about things, but I really think it's appropriate to focus on Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes right now.

IGNcube: Understood. But since you bring up Metal Gear, we're curious: you've hinted time and again that this collaboration between Nintendo, Konami and Silicon Knights is just the beginning. Can you elaborate?

Denis: Yes. I think that's one of the goals of the whole project. It's very important. It's not just one game. It's a very exciting collaboration between our groups and I think there is a strong urge for people like Miyamoto-san and Kojima-san to want to work together in the future. I think that's good for games. So yeah, I think something is happening.

IGNcube: So, uh, is this your last GameCube project?

Denis: [smiles] I can't talk about GameCube projects.

IGNcube: Or are you working on GameCube 2 projects?

Denis: What's GameCube 2?

IGNcube: Are you planning for the successor to GameCube?

Denis: I think there are a lot of people planning for next-gen right now.

IGNcube: Are you one of those people?

Denis: [Pause] Well, we're always planning.

IGNcube: All right. You're off the hook! But we'll get you yet.

IGNcube would like to thank Denis Dyack for the interview.

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse
Det kommer ganske klart frem her, at intervjuet er gjort av IGN og jeg trur du missforstår kraftig hvis dette har noe med stjeling å gjøre.

Da skjønner du ikke poenget mitt, og du har antageligvis heller ingen erfaring som redaktør. IGN vil naturligvis at lesere går til nettstedet sitt for å lese intervjuer, slik at de da også kan lese annet interessant stoff de har publisert. Hvis du hadde en spillside med mye bra stoff, men som ingen leste på nettstedet, kun via andre forums - hadde det gledet deg? Grunnen til at jeg reagerer på dette, er at jeg flere ganger sett lignende episoder med Gamer.no sitt stoff på andre forum. Også ulovlig oversettinger av våre artikler. Jeg blir naturligvis ikke fornøyd. Det er ikke fordi jeg er pirkete, men fordi jeg faktisk vet hvordan IGN tenker om saken.

Men hvis du overhodet ikke er interessert i å forstå normal moral og skikk, så skal jeg ikke diskutere dette videre.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...