Gå til innhold

Overklokking for nybegynnere?

gromgut32

Anbefalte innlegg

Hadde kanskje vært en ide med en mer oppdatert og mer utfyllende guide for oss nybegynnere i faget?

Den på overklokking.no nå er jo litt utdatert. Kjøpte nettopp en 1.4 Duron, men nytter jo ikke å følge guidene der. Prosessorene som er nå er det jo ikke bare å bruke blyanten på lenger.

Savner en skikkelig guide til hvordan man faktisk GJØR det hele,fra a til å, og ikke bare en innledning som lar deg bli stående med skjegget i postkassa og blyanten i hånda. En skikkelig fotografisk fremstilling av det hele hadde jo vært ypperlig for oss som ikke er skikkelig inne i alle de tekniske uttrykkene for det ennå.

Bare en tanke fra en frustrert klokker-idiot m blyant bak øret og sår skjeggvekst. :roll:

Lenke til kommentar
Videoannonse
Annonse

hmm... jeg skrev en kort "guide" om dette emnet på engelsk for en tid tilbake..engelsk kunnskapene er ikke akkurat på top, så ikke forvent deg noe helt utrolig.... jaja, her er den.

Overclocking and related information

By: AMD-guru

Introduction:

Remember, do all of this at your own risk. I take no responsibility if your computer burns to death :p. If you have any questions, however, please direct them to me.

Chapters:

1. Basic definitions

2. Bus Overclocking and multiplier Overclocking

3. Memory timings

4. Cooling

Warning: Before you do anything to your system, you must read the last part about cooling.

1. Basic Definitions

What is Overclocking?

Overclocking is adjusting components in your computer to make it run faster than normal. Be careful, however, because there are side affects. It will reduce the lifespan of your hardware as well as make it run hotter. But don’t worry, liquid cooling is not always necessary.

If you tune up the CPU’s clock frequency it will perform better, but will often make the computer unstable. To prevent this, you’ll need to raise the v-core a little bit. However, this will generate more heat..

2. Bus overclocking and Multiplier overclocking..

The bus (or FSB if you like) is the speed of the motherboard. The memory and CPU follow that speed. (The AMD CPU’s doubles it and Intel CPU’s uses quantum and therefore multiplies it by four and the memory doubles it) If you have a new AMD system and the FSB is set to 200MHz, you’ll have 400MHz bus on the CPU and 400MHz on the memory.

The multiplier is the scale between the CPU speed and the motherboard speed.

FSB*multiplier=CPU speed.

Example: 200MHz(FSB)*10MHz(MP) = 2000MHz CPU.

A system running 105*10 will perform better than a system running 100*10.5, even though the CPU clock is the same (1050MHz). When you raise the multiplier, only the CPU will perform better. But when you raise the FSB, all three, motherboard, RAM and CPU, will perform better. Imagine the FSB is the number of horse power in a car and that the CPU clock is the top speed. On the easy tasks the car with best top speed will be the best. But as soon as the tough uphills start, the one with most horse power will crush the other one. Therefore, it’s recommended you always try to tune up the FSB first.

How to proceed:

Boot up your computer and then press del or F1 or something to enter the BIOS.

Find “frequency and voltage control” or “CPU soft menu” or something similar. Press enter. Set the CPU to user define (if you can’t find it, it’s probably not there and it’s not required :)). Then turn up the FSB a little bit, save the settings and boot it up. Then run a 3D-Mark test or some other test program to check if it is stable. If it shuts down, you should go back to the BIOS and raise the v-core and try again. Just keep on playing with the numbers like that. Remember, only rise it a little bit at the time. Many people first turn down the multiplier so they can reach longer with the FSB overclocking. Many of the new motherboards give you the option to adjust both memory voltage and chipset voltage. If you want to go real far into FSB clocking, it might be worth a look.

If you take it too high, the computer won’t boot. To fix this, you’ll need to open it up and take the battery out for a few minutes and then put it back in (while the computer is off). This will reset your BIOS.

3. Memory timings:

These values can also be changed on most of the newer motherboards. Go to “advanced chipset features” or something similar. Then, change the values. The lower it is set, the better. I recommend setting it to 2 2 2 4, the first one being CAS. (You might need to set it to user define before you can change it.)

4. Cooling:

In this chapter I’ll be talking about different types of cooling, and different ways of utilize it.

Normal air cooling:

Normal air cooling is the most common used cooling method for computers. It is cheap and can be very effective. I recommend 2 fans in front, blowing in air, and 2 in the back, sucking it out. And of course,a good CPU fan.

Extreme air cooling:

It’s possible to make a fridge or freezer effect in your chassis. Search www.google.com for more info about this. Also, have a look at the Vappocill chassis. This kind of cooling is very efficient, usually very expencive

Water cooling:

Water cooling is getting cheaper and cheaper, and will probably replace normal air cooling in a couple of years. However, there are physical limitations for water. It turns solid at 0 degrees Celsius so it is not the best solution for the extreme temperature of a machine that has been overclocked. To get the most out of your water cooling, goto the car junkyard and get a radiator (with fan) from an old car and use it in your computer, or use other neat solutions, the only thing holding you back is your imagination. NB. It is important to remember to isolate the hardware. If it gets below the room temperature, there will be condensation. NB

Other forms of liquid cooling (extreme solutions):

Immersion cooling:

The most effective way of cooling a computer is to lower the whole thing down into liquid. Unfortunately, not many liquids will fit such a purpose because of their conductivity for electricity. The liquid made by the chemistry company M3, Fluorinert, is perfect for cooling down electronics. It turns to sold at -100 degrees Celsius, it is not poisonous, and isn’t conductive. But, it is (very) expensive.

For the ultimate solution, use liquid nitrogen or CO2. The temperature gets below -190 degrees Celsius, but unfortunately it will only last for about 5 minutes (the liquids turns to gas).

Closing:

If you can’t adjust the FSB and multiplier, it is because you probably have a older motherboard. In that case, you'll need to unlock the CPU. I’ll be writing a guide soon about the ways of physical overclocking to resolve this issue.

Endret av AMD-guru #1
Lenke til kommentar
Nettopp det siste der som er interessant for oss ferskinger. Men det er jo nettopp eldre cpu'er det gikk an på? Går ikke på min nye Duron.

Det er der "utgravningene" kommer inn, og som jeg gjerne skulle sett ett foto av.

hmm.. ja, litt feil der... jeg har vel ment et eldre hovedkort (de nye hovedkortene låser jo automatisk opp CPU'ene (de fleste iallefall))

edit; får se hvor lenge jeg klarer å holde meg nå, ingen flere poster, har så fin postcount.. 666 ;)

Endret av AMD-guru #1
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...