Gå til innhold

Etter år med rykter slippes Metroid Prime til Nintendo Switch

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

15 juli i år er det 40 år siden Family Computer kom på markdet. Da kan man feire 40 år med slowdowns.

Slowdowns happen when the game engine can't finish the tasks of a single frame within the time it takes for the NES to display a frame. See, while the NES is rendering a picture to the screen, the game engine is running and preparing all the data for the next frame. This means moving all objects (which may need physics), testing for collisions between objects and the level map, testing for collisions between objects, scrolling the level map, advancing the current music and sound effect(s), and so on. When the NES finishes displaying the picture if goes "hey game, I'm done, now it's time for you to give me the data I need to draw the next frame". So, if the game engine didn't finish a new frame, it simply can't give the NES data for a new picture, so it responds "sorry, not now... maybe next time", so the same frame is displayed again. This is what slowdown is.

PC and consoles have moved on to 1440p and 4K while the Switch can't even seem to get acceptable performance at 720p on last gen games.

Lenke til kommentar
BadCat skrev:

15 juli i år er det 40 år siden Family Computer kom på markdet. Da kan man feire 40 år med slowdowns.

Slowdowns happen when the game engine can't finish the tasks of a single frame within the time it takes for the NES to display a frame. See, while the NES is rendering a picture to the screen, the game engine is running and preparing all the data for the next frame. This means moving all objects (which may need physics), testing for collisions between objects and the level map, testing for collisions between objects, scrolling the level map, advancing the current music and sound effect(s), and so on. When the NES finishes displaying the picture if goes "hey game, I'm done, now it's time for you to give me the data I need to draw the next frame". So, if the game engine didn't finish a new frame, it simply can't give the NES data for a new picture, so it responds "sorry, not now... maybe next time", so the same frame is displayed again. This is what slowdown is.

PC and consoles have moved on to 1440p and 4K while the Switch can't even seem to get acceptable performance at 720p on last gen games.

Tror neppe "slowdowns" har skjedd i hele 40 år som med Famicom, men det var sikkert en artig og kul måte å si Nintendo burde komme med noe bedre hardware. De gjorde jo det i sin tid helt til Wii, som de fleste her vet, men solgte ikke så bra, som de fleste her vet. Penger snakker til slutt. Blir uansett artig å se hva oppfølgeren til Switch blir, da.
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...