Gå til innhold

Some thoughts on the concept of luck in football

Anbefalte innlegg

After the Champions League final I've been thinking about this a bit. I feel some people have a skewed image of what luck really is. Here is an attempt at a definition: Things in a match that are essentially random turning out in your favor. That is, things that can't be traced down to one teams competence or another teams incompetence. One example could be bad refereeing decisions against you. That is not something you have control over. Bad injuries could be another. A player taking a shot that is clearly going to miss but bounces off several players and goes in, when it was not intentional.

The reason I'm writing this is that I feel there is a double standard. If a team concedes many chances, they are bad at defending but if a team misses many chances it's "unlucky". Both of these situations is incompetence in a critical situation.

Where I think people go wrong is confusing luck with things your team does not have complete influence over, such as the opponent missing an open goal. The crucial distinction for me is that the opposing team can influence this, and they would score if they were better. Because in the end your team does not generally have to play a perfect game to win, they just have to score more goals than the opposition.

Here is an example of something that I do not consider to be luck: The best target man in the world scoring from a corner.

Update: My issue has been solved, thank you.
usps tracking showbox speed test

Endret av konarktriv7
Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Opprett ny...