Gå til innhold

TEST: Asus Lyra

Anbefalte innlegg

Videoannonse
Annonse

Interessant at man ikke må logge seg inn på en Asus-side for å bruke systemet. Google opplyser til meg at man må være pålogget Googlekonto for at deres Mesh nettverk skal funke. Dette må man finlese specs for å mistenke, det står intet i klartekst. Er man uten internettforbindelse funker da ikke hjemmenettet med f.eks streaming, printerdeling og NAS backup.

Lenke til kommentar

Når det testes - hva slags belastning brukes på nettet? Er det kun en tester av gangen, eller flere.

Eksempel: Hus over 2 etasjer med kjellerstue, med 5 personer. 3 ungdomer som hver benytter både pc/konsoll og telefon, kanskje et nettbrett og en appletv/chromecast/firestick. Kanskje en har en kompis på besøk. 1 voksen strømmer fotball trådløst mens en annen ser på How-to-build-a-boat strømmet fra youtube.

Lenke til kommentar

2000 fot er ca. 600m som ASUS skriver på nettsiden sin :)

Bare Google «2000 feet to meters» så kommer det øverst på Google :)

2000 fot er ca. 600 meter. Dette er mål på lengde.

2000 kvadratfot er ca. 185 kvadratmetermeter (185.8). Dette er mål på areal.

Dette kan du finne ved å skrive "2000 sq ft to m2" i søkefeltet på Google.

Du kan også bruke denne kalkulatoren som også gir deg tallene slik at du kan regne det ut på egenhånd https://www.conversion-metric.org/area/square_foot-to-square_meter

Altså det er mest sannsynlig en feil på den norske nettsiden ellers så gir de oss ett langt bedre produkt enn det de får i amerika.

Lenke til kommentar
Tok en test selv i et par dager. Skrev litt om det.. kan være nyttig for noen.

ASUS Lyra review (firmware 3.0.0.4.382_11464)

Here’s my messy semi-annoyed review of the Asus Lyra trio... 1f61b.png:p

Startup

Connected the first Lyra to my VDSL modem. Even though the modem delivers an ip-address via dhcp, the lyra didn't figure that out automatically. Selected manual setup and it worked

Connected the next Lyra. The app is a bit unstable when it comes to discovering new APs (unknown reason, maybe the AP sends its wlan beacon in slow intervals?). Worked fine

Connected the third Lyra. Same here. Worked fine.

The app shows a "network" map with the internet, the different Lyras, the connections between them, and the number of clients. - The connection is just one or more lines. No explanation about what the lines mean. - The number of clients seem wrong - The app loses its connection and sometimes it even shows only one lyra, even if there are two more active and I'm connected to one of them.

The Lyras establish a bridge between them using a different IP-network than what the clients use. I noticed this when looking at static routes in the web interface on the main lyra. I think it's the next ip-range.. So if you have 192.168.1.x/24 then the bridge network will be 192.168.2.x/24.

Ethernet backhaul

Then I tried ethernet backhaul. The guide on the web page says connect the cable after the pairing is complete. However, this creates a loop that results in the network going down. I tried connecting all the lyras to a switch at first, even let it stay connected over night to figure it out, but no go. The log on the main lyra is full of "kernel: br0: received packet on eth0 with own address as source address" indicating it doesn't shut down the wireless bridge when a ethernet backhaul is established. I know I didn't make a loop at least. I tried disconnecting everything and just connecting two lyras together with a cable. This also resulted in a loop and my connection was dropped. So even if I follow the guide/FAQ by the letter, it doesn't work. I found some references about other asus routers having spanning tree in the LAN menu on the web interface, but the lyra doesn't. For me, using a wireless backhaul from the basement, through 2 floors and to the attic is not an option when I have cables going everywhere.

Family control

Tried adding family members. That didn't work at first. I got a message that adding a family member failed. And when I tried again with the same name, I got a message saying it already existed. The next day (after reboot) I tried again, and it worked. But adding devices to a person seems to only work if the device is active, or has been recently. It shows you other devices, but it won't let you add them to a person. Silly limitation...

Other functions

Haven't tried adding a guest network.

AiProtection seems to work fine. It's an invisible service so I haven't noticed anything. Haven't compared performance with and without it.

Adaptive QoS is turned on. Haven't tested it much.

I tried the VPN client. Managed to give my entire network access to a vpn server on a 1gig connection (I have 75/15mbit ish). But that was very unstable and affected my local clients access to the internet too. So won't be doing that again.

If you want to download the manual, there's only a quick start guide with 2 pages telling you how to connect the first and second lyra. The only help available is a few FAQ pages that tells you which buttons to push, but not why. (What is AP mode and what is the effect when I enable it? Will it turn my main lyra into an AP, or will it affect the other two? Questions unanswered)

Stability

- The Lyras seem to advertise my client wireless network, even if the backhaul is down. That results in clients connecting to a network without a link to the internet/main lyra.

- The app loses its connection to the lyra a lot. It gives you a message about servers being busy, even if it should communicate with the lyra on my local network.

Web interface:

- The so called network map is not a map at all. It's just a page that says the internet is connected, your wireless info and the number of clients. ZERO information about the other lyras. They can only be found when examining the dhcp leases. It's basically the same web interface as a normal router... It has no signs of being mesh-related.. In my mind, there should be pages dedicated to the status of the mesh network.

- Testing http to the other lyras just gives you a message about using the "fantastic" android/ios app.

- Listing clients by interface is updated every other second, and devices disappear and reapper.. So you have to be quick if you want to copy a mac-adress or something. It will also list wireless clients as "Wired".

- In the app you can disable content with categories like "adult" or "violence". I don't see the same in the web interface, where you can filter using url, keyword or network service.

SSH/Telnet

It's some linux edition, and not like cisco IOS or similar.. So I assum the possibilities are endless, but without any reference I won't start changing things there. Especially since the other two lyras won't let me in.

Other

- The lyras communicate with servers in Taiwan. One of my internal Lyras (ie not the main Lyra) has connections to 210.65.113.168 wich seems to be in Taipei, Taiwan (according to http://www.monitis.com/traceroute/)

Performance

- the main lyra has a wireless log that shows the rxrate and txrate of the different radios. It does however not show what is in the other end of that radio. One of the two 5ghz a/n/ac radios has a rx/txrate of 65M now on channel 100. I assume it's to the lyra that's furthest away, or perhaps some client. The other 5ghz radio has tx520M rx175M on channel 36.

- So far I have tested about 130Mbit using iperf3 on my 2x2 ac laptop to my samsung s7 phone (pingtools app with iperf3) (on the same AP). For a proper test, I'll try connecting my laptop to the second ethernet port on the main lyra, and test standing next to it.. Since I can't use wired backhaul a lot of these tests are silly.. Since the traffic has to go all the way to my main lyra using wireless backhaul, and back again on cables. I really need a hub-and-spoke setup for performance internally to be good.

- I experienced some performance issued where I only got about 10Mbit internally and slow unusable internet connection. A reboot of the main lyra seemed to work.

- Some things try to be so user friendly that the user has to wait without knowing what is going on. If you are technical like me that is really frustrating. Lights are blinking in certain colors, but things don't work, but suddenly they do even if the lights are unchanged etc..

In conclusion

I can not recommend the ASUS Lyra to anyone in its current state. It might be useful to very basic users who are content with the easy setup, but the app is wonky and shows things that are false and doesn't refresh properly..

If you want anything more than the basic setup, you will have trouble.

Lenke til kommentar

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...